Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Language school for a family in Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am looking for recommendations. I have been researching language schools for August 2007. I have found positive reports on CPI and Montana Linda. Aec (adventure Spanish School) also has a program for families.

I wondered if anyone has attended any of these schools with a middleschool age child (will be 12, now in 6th grade). I have some spanish but both my husband and son are beginners.

Thank you in advance,

colleen
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:54 PM

No, sorry, no experience with a child; however, can vouch for the quality of CPI. I think it would be hard to find a better school. The option of 3 locations is especially beneficial. It isn't cheap. Homestays are now running about $400 per week for an individual, I think? Haven't looked at their website in awhile, and I'm not sure what sort of "deal", if any, you might be able to get for a family. Great idea, though. Wish we had done it when our children were small. Good luck!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 01:42 AM

I took children to ML on two seperate occasions. - once with 7 and 10 yos, the next time with 9 and 12 yos. I was happpy with the school both times. I was especially happy with my homestay on our second trip. The school found us a family with children of almost the same age and it was a huge success. We hated to leave.

I also can't say enough good things about the village. Everyone entered into our language learning experience with enthusiasm.

It was also very reasonably priced.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies,

ML looks good but I was worried about the homestay. Nice to hear that they were able to match you with a family with same age children. I think that this option would be more immersive than the others. Did you speak spanish prior to the first trip? I am worried about my husband feeling uncomfortable.

I think the multiple site option from CPI and AEC are would make the trip more vacationlike. As it will not be cheap and will be our vacation for the year. I have read several favorable of CPI, but I have not seen any on AEC.

I'm going to keep researching and looking at pro's and con's of each set up.

Thanks again,
Colleen
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM

On our first trip we stayed in their B&B. We had an American man acting as the host/cook and it was very comfortable.

On our second trip, when we stayed with the family, the kids and I spoke some Spanish but my husband spoke very little. He did just fine. I do think that the more you know when you start, the more you learn.

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply Heather. If we do ML I think we will stay in the B&B at least for the first week

colleen