Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Lake Titicaca / Machu Picchu know nothing need advice

Old May 17th, 2003, 11:18 PM
THE
Original Poster

I will be taking my sister (she's 21, I'm 33) to Peru for her 21st birthday present (it's a long story) - but know almost nothing about what to do there... Lake Titicaca is a must (it's a long story) and I think that Machu Picchu seems like it's also a must - any advice - hoping to spend 7 - 10 days there, haven't decided exactly when, budget is not too important for this trip...
Would appreciate any help, tips etc. like the idea of doing a few days hiking in mountains, with a nice hotel at the end...
Old May 18th, 2003, 09:17 PM

t
Old May 19th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Hi THE,

With 10 days in Peru you can take in the Inca Trail from cusco, stay near the ruins for a extra day or two: the hotel Pueblo in Aguas Calientes or the Ruinas (nest to the ruins) are excellent places to stay (budget priced hotels are also in Aguas Calientes). On the return to Cusco take the Vista Dome train, as it is really cool.

From Cusco you can then take the train to Puno and Lake Titikaka. There are a number of things to do: visit the Uros Islands, the funeral towers of Sillustani, the islands of Isla del Sol and el Luna.

If you have time you should consider a trip to Nasca: near Nasca is the Hacienda Cantayo, one of the best places to stay in Peru. From there you can fly over the Nasca Lines, visit the Pacific beaches, and take day trips to the highland areas.

There is more info on these places at www.peruperu.com

Have a great trip!
(Happy 21 to your sister!)

Dav
[email protected]

Old May 23rd, 2003, 02:03 PM

If you find that your time is limited the first thing I would scratch is the Nazca lines. It isn't as spectacular as I thought and takes a lot of time to get to. The half our flight makes a lot of circles and is enough to make most anyone vomit. My arms also went numb for the lack of circulation due to the G-forces you get going into the circles. It was interesting to see how people in that area lived in such a dry place though. Again I would only do it if you have a gap to fill in your itinarary.
Old May 24th, 2003, 01:06 PM
THE
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the tips. Now I feel I have an idea of where to start. Just a few more questions though... I've been playing around with an itinerary and have come up with...
1. Lima (I think flight will arrive evening)
2.Lima (Miraflores Hotel)
3. Cusco (Monasterio Hotel)
4,5,6,7 hiking Inca Trail
8, the extra night in Aguas Calientes (Pueblo looks good)
9,10 Lake Titicaca (Libertador Puno)
11, Lima and home (same day)

My main questions are about timing and travelling, firstly, we could skip the second night in Lima and go straight to Cucso on day 2 (Fly) and join the hike on day 3, then maybe have time to go to Nasca (BTW, although I do appreciate the warning, your description of the flight sounds exciting!). From Aguas Calientes, should we overnight in Cusco before going to Puno - and what would be the best way to get from Puno back to Lima (another overnight in Lima before flying out is possible) - I do love travelling on trains and buses, but given time constraints would fly to have extra time somewhere more interesting.
Thanks so much for your responses so far, hope to get your advice on the details!
T
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:47 AM

Hi T,

I think it would be best to skip the stay in Lima (second night) and leave Lima for the end of your trip.

To take the Inca Trail you have to be in Cusco 2-days ahead of time to then get acclimated to the altitude and process your trail permit through an operator. (so a 4-day trek is really 6, and a 2-day trek is 4).

So, with your plans it would be best to either:
Arrive in Lima, spend that night, leave early am for Cusco.
Then:
Leave Cusco for a Sacred Valley tour for a day, you can visit the markets of Pisac, ruins sites, ending up in the town of Ollantaytambo. There is a great hotel there called Pakaritampu. It is also one block from the train station so the next morning you can get to Machu Picchu (about 1.5 hour train trip). You could then stay one night in Aguas Calientes if you wish.

Or, from Cusco take the train to Machu Picchu, spend the day and afternoon at the ruins, spend the night in Aguas Calientes, have another visit to Machu Picchu, the next morning go back to Cusco.

You would have a night in Cusco after that and then take the train to Puno. After visiting Titikaka there is a flight to Lima. The same day you arrive back in Lima you can take the afternoon bus to Nasca (getting there early evening). The Hacienda Cantayo can arrange your Nasca flight for the next morning and a number of activities for the rest of that day.

Next morning return to Lima. Depending on exactly how you put it all together you could then have a day in Lima.

Oh, depending on the date you expect to travel, hotels like the Pueblo and Monasterio may well be booked. Best to make plans and get reservations as soon as possible (although there are alternatives generally available at both places).

Have a great trip!
Dav
[email protected]

Old May 31st, 2003, 04:55 PM
THE
Original Poster

Dav,
Thank you so much for your kind suggestions they are very much appreciated. It now looks like we will go in 2004 - so I should have plenty of time to book the hotels.
I have now read the Lonely Planet guide (cover to cover!) and I think the itinerary will be pretty much as you have suggested. I am keen to pre-book the Inca Trail trek and to use an eco-friendly company. I liked the website etc. of Explorandes.com - they seem to be in this for the long-term and act accordingly.
Is end September an ok time to go? I know that it is the end of the high season, but I am hoping that the weather will start to get a bit warmer esp. at night, also hoping that it will be a bit quieter than July/August.
thanks again for all the tips -
T
Old May 31st, 2003, 04:59 PM
M_J

We also are planning a trip to Machu Picchu. Here is a book that we found very helpful and will take with us as a guide: "The Machu Picchu Guidbook" by Ruth M. Wright, Johnson Books, 2001. She promotes a self-guided tour and the material is well organized and very detailed.