La Fortuna or Monteverde??

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Fortuna or Monteverde??

As I have read so many varied reports about Monteverde, I am trying to decide if we should do both areas. We have 2 weeks, was planning 2-3 days in each area, as well as some time in MA. If we didn't go to Monteverde, do you have any suggestions were to spend a couple of days , on the way to MA? Your help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 09:12 AM

la fortuna- more to see and do, hot springs, waterfalls, and a day trip to cano negro reserve>

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/cano_n...ome/index.html

you'll see more wildlife there than in monteverde.
monteverde is a nightmare to drive to, weather is windy and cold, nothing to see apart from the forest and there are better forests- like LA cloud forest- to see!
go straight to manuel antonio from la fortuna, nothing really worth stopping overnight for>

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/manuel...ome/index.html

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:16 AM

If I could only choose one, I'd choose Arenal, but I enjoyed Monteverde as well. I found it to be very charming, and I spent one whole day in the reserve with a fabulous guide, Marcella Morales, who made it all very interesting and knew where to find the animals and knew everything there was to know about the plants. I also shopped in St. Elena, enjoyed a really good pizza at Tremonti's (or something that starts w/ a T), and there's zip lines and other adventures there too. I hired a driver to take me there, and I was glad I did. It was a crazy drive and we laughed all the way!

Sandy
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:12 PM

It would involve a lot of driving, but the San Gerardo de Dota area about 2 hours south of San Jose is a great cloud forest with muchas quetzales. Beautiful there. We like it better than Monteverde. You'd want to break up the drive near the airport between Arenal and San Gerardo.

I'd suggest overnight airport (depending)

3 nights Arenal

overnight en route to San Gerardo

2 nights Savegre Mountain Lodge

2-3 nights Dominical (Pacific Edge such an interesting and different place)

3-4 nights Manuel Antonio

overnight airport before departure (depending again)

Just for something different and less touristy (than Monteverde).

Beginning and ending with Arenal and MA a good idea since they are both about 3 hours from SJO. You might get by without the overnights near the airport at the front and back of your vacation. Enjoy the planning--half the fun!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 06:44 PM

We got back from Costa Rica a little over a week ago and had a great time in Monteverde and La Fortuna. Go to both if you can! Tonnes to do in La Fortuna and great nature in Monteverde.

We stayed at a great hostel in St. Eleana called Sleepers run by Ronnie and Ronald (wonderful folks) with excellent views, lovely rooms and a good breakfast for only $20. They arranged a wildlife tour with Freddie and we had an amazing time! It was a small group of just us 4 and he was even able to find a rare bird that had eluded the other visitor during his past 12 visits to Costa Rica! He'll lend you some great binoculars and bring his telescope. I had no idea bird watching was so exciting! Don't forget to eat at the great soda right at the bus stop and try the pizza at Kniko's (I think it's called). Costa Rican cheese is simply delicious! Yes, Monteverde is a bit touristy but nothing like the craziness of Tamarindo. It's friendly and we met some really cool people from California with who we enjoyed a great game of Texas Hold'em one evening.

In La Fontuna go on the waterfall canyoneering trip if able and enjoy the hot springs in the evening. There is a great soda called Soda Restaurante Viquez that has a great selection in a buffet style and also has a great menu. It is ridiculously affordable and delicious. The owner is so friendly and welcoming in his lovely open air restaurant. He does't speak much English but his personal attention and warmness speaks volumes.

We did the jeep-boat jeep from Monteverde to La Fontuna. It was about a 3 hour trip. The drive was scenic and the 1 hour boat ride was so beautiful, we decided to return to La Fontuna that way to enjoy the views again.

Have a great time!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Thanks for all the info on this post - it's very helpful to all. One more question - is there a recommended tour company to book for the Cano Negro tour? My hotel (Lost Iguana) sent me a link for Arenal Tours, but I wondered if they are the standard or if I should be checking around?
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 10:00 AM

sunset tours is the best tour company in la fortuna.
aventuras is also good!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 05:00 PM

We used Sunset, as Guanacaste mentioned, and were quite pleased. Our guide was Walter. It was an excellent day!
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 06:59 PM

One more vote for Monteverde -- and for Kako's Pizzeria! Yes, there's a very touristic (is that a word?) vibe to the place -- but it's mellow, bohemian, and super-friendly.