Hotel Casa Cristina and La Union Language School Antigua

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have information about the Casa Cristina Hotel in Antigua? From the Internet, it seems nice and reasonably priced but it's not in any guidebooks.

Also has anyone had experience with La Union Language School in Antigua?

I'm going to Antigua soon and am interested in these places.

Thanks
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I haven't stayed or studied at those places but they're popular on the Thorntree forum - try a search there for "Cristina" or "La Union":

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...mp;STARTPAGE=1

Hope that helps - happy trails!
Old Dec 24th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I'll check it out.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 07:48 AM

My mid and late 30-something sons spent many school vacations at the language schools in Antigua.
Many years ago, $125.US a week was the norm for one on one instruction (4 or 8 hours a day depending on stamina) as well as room and board.
Recently, they have recommended http://acad.conexion.com
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Hi nmsky,
I studied at 3 different schools - mainly to get varied experiences. la Union was the last one - but it was about 5 years ago. My criteria for choosing were simple. I wanted a school that did not require you to pay before you got there and did not have an extra registration fee. The three I have attended are Centro Linguisico Maya, Probigua and La Union. I just checked out the various web sites. The whole thing is a bit of a crapshoot - as it depends on the teacher you get.
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Hi nmsky,
I studied at 3 different schools in Antigua over the years- mainly to get varied experiences. La Union was the last one - but it was about 5 years ago. My criteria for choosing were simple. I wanted a school that did not require you to pay before you got there and did not have an extra registration fee. The three I have attended are Centro Linguisico Maya, Probigua and La Union. I just checked out the various web sites. The whole thing is a bit of a crapshoot - as it depends on the teacher you get. In general, I did not find the calibre of most of the teachers in Antigua that high. Language schools are a "cottage industry" there. They need lots of teachers and do not pay that well. So they take people and give them a short teachers' course and out they go. But for learning Spanish, especially if you are a beginner it is fine. And it is also more about the atmosphere. Antigua has alot of character. The only problem is that there are too many English speaking people around - so unless you try really hard not to drift into English, it can ruin the immersion quality of your experience.

La Union was fine. As well as the classes they had other activities for the students.

I did home stay on each of my trips.
Good luck
raquel
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
nmsky