Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Keeping budget down & Do I need reservations in May/June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading through a lot of the messages of people who have planned their trips with agents like Cintia/Mercedes. It seems that most of you end up in finer hotels (Llao Llao, Sheratons, etc.)

Well, I know this isn't a Lonely Planet travel board, but I'm hoping some of the Argentine experts can help me nonetheless!

I'm looking to keep costs as low as possible on this (potential) trip. While I'm definitely not into fleabag hotels, I'm wondering what my hotel options are in the $30-$50 per night range throughout the country.

In BA, I thought about renting an apartment for the week (seems there are quite a few available in the $250-$400 per week range).

What about outside of BA? Can I find the equivalent of a European 3-star hotel that is clean, safe and comfortable, and in my price range?

ALSO, in May or June, how easy is it to show in a town without reservations and find a decent place to stay?

We travelled in the off-season in southwest France a while back and had no reservations anywhere. This allowed us to spend an hour or so upon arrival in each new place checking out hotels until we found one that suited our tastes and budget. Is this feasible in Argentina's off-season too?

Or, am I setting myself up for disaster by not doing extensive booking in advance?

Thanks.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Well this may well not be very helpful, but inasmuch as no one else has responded yet at all, I figure, why not?

There is a Lonely Planet travel board, you know. Just Google "Lonely Planet Thorn Tree" and you'll see it come up first.

Not trying to be a smart *** here, really -- just couldn't think of anything else, and since you started off by mentioning that this wasn't a Lonely Planet forum, well...

Steve
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Well, hello, MonaManuel! How have you been? I've wondered about you guys from time to time. I always think of Neta, Turrubares, and the bingo game when I think of you and your honeymoon! You know she and Arbel sold the hotel and moved back to Israel? Well, of course you know that if you've been monitoring this board. . .good to "see" you!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Steve Ryberg: Thanks for the very original suggestion about posting on LP. And don't worry: no smart*ness allocuted to.

In a nutshell, I post here because I value the opinion of the posters here. They're informed, enlightened and extremely forthcoming. Besides, the LP message board is a total mess!

To Shillmac: Hello! It has been long indeed! After some quick perusal in the CR message room, I see you are still actively engaged in Costa Rican travel. Great for you! That's one trip I'll never forget. It has marked me for life!

It has marked my husband, too. I'm not sure he's ready to head back anywhere with more insects than people. I'd love to travel somewhere tropical and exotic again in the near future, but for the time being, I think Argentina sounds like a great compromise for us both.

And yes, I was recently in touch with Neta. That's something!

To everyone else: Sorry for the digressions! If only there was some way I could privately communicate with Shillmac via some electronic means in which my personal message to her could somehow be 'mailed' in 'packets' of digital code rather than be splashed in front of this entire message board for all to read.

Alas! I'd still love to hear how you kept costs down in Argentina!

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Argentina sounds wonderful! Good luck with your planning and have a fabulous time!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:27 AM

About travel agents--Cintia does a specific niche...and budget travel isn't it.....she caters more to well heeled travelers seeking a personalized, upscale experience .

Prices are going up very fast in Argentina, particularly so in Buenos
Aires, as word has gotten out that BA is a great place to go....and at a bargain (ironic isn't it that as the place is overrun with bargain seekers the bargains disappear due to supply/demand)....

In Buenos Aires...try the Alpino Hotel, which is probably at the top end of your budget, but enjoys a superb location in Palermo.

While the LP board is indeed a mess....one of the LP regulars, Guille, has an outstanding, well organized web site that identifies several value options for hotels in the BsAs area...none are as good or as well located as the Alpino, but many will cost less....

Given that Argentina is overrun with tourists these days, I'm not sure I would chance showing up without a reservation...but that's just me, I suppose....

Suerte!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:27 AM

oops....I forgot to post Guille's URL

http://www.guillebaires.com.ar/
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

This is just a quick note to:

1)thank DrDawggy (I have been keeping track of your postings on the various travel boards around the Internet--wonderful! Many thanks, on behalf of all the potential visitors to Argentina of the WWW!)

- and -

2) to shamelessly bump my question back to the top of the list.

Just to confirm: I am planning on visiting some time in late May or early June. This is low season in Argentina, isn't it?