Just back from Playa del Carmen!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spent the most wonderful week in Playa, my first time there..Here's my trip in a nutshell. I was traveling with my husband and my 9-month-old son:<BR><BR>Nonstop on Continental from Newark to Cancun, took Riviera bus from airport to Playa, $7 each and 45 minutes ride...<BR><BR>Arrived at Hotel Deseo at 3 p.m. It is absolutely amazing. Just like the web Site described. We had the largest suite there, two balconies, two huge beds, no walls, everything separated by white sheer curtains. The pool was beautiful and there was a self-service kitchen for breakfast, which was cool...<BR>Took day trip on ferry to Cozumel.. What a dump! Dirty and overrun by cruise ship people. I won't be vacationing there ever.<BR><BR>Had some great dinners: Favorite was Frida's, right across from the hotel.. Gorgeous place with huge Frida Kahlo murals and great food. I also loved the pizzas at Da Gabi and had a great meal at the Glass Bar, a really cool wine bar.. Kinda disappointed with Yaxche, which was highly recommended on this board, and with Apasionado, where the food was pretty boring...<BR><BR>Overall, we absolutely loved the feel of Playa del Carmen. Very laid back, a nice European feel to it, quaint, yet cool...Keep the cruise ship people away and it will stay this way.. I'll answer any queestions!
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:58 AM
boo

I was so excited to see this post when I was perusing the site. I have heard nice things about Playa, and I am interested in learning more. <BR><BR>My boyfriend and I are in our late 20's but looking to get away for a week to somewhere warm! We are not into clubbing, more just local resaurants and the beach. Is this the place for us? We are also into exploring the sites, if we have time. <BR><BR>And, besides the hotel you stayed in, can you recommend others?<BR>thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 09:03 AM

Coincidentally... I just returned from a week in Cozumel. The only part of Playa del Carmen I saw was the area around the ferry dock and my reaction to that small area of PDC was much like what we apparently both perceived about Cozumel. The bad news on Coz is the cruise ships and the constant influx of people from them (and the litter and trap-clap that accompanies it). The good news is that Coz has much to offer if you get out of the immediate downtown area. Lots of great small local restaurants, beautiful and rugged scenery on the back side (east) of the island and some of the world's best diving. There are some things to criticize in Coz but if you can steer around the cruise ship crowds it has much to offer. For folks staying in PDC it can make a goo day trip but I recommend trying to be there on a Sunday evening. They have local music on the stage in the main plaza and hundres of local people turn out to listen, dance and mingle. Very nicve community oriented event. I went for diving but have been advised that although the best reefs are off Coz, there's an area near PDC where a few hundred green sea turtles congregate and there are large schools of tarpon - said to ba fantastic dive site for sea life.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi Boo,<BR>i think Playa would be perfect for a young couple.. we are in our very early 30s.. There are so many cool lounges and wine bars to hang out and listen to music in. And all of the restaurants are open air, great for people watching... If you don't want to stay at Hotel Deseo, the nicest in town in my opinion, Mosquito Blue across the street looked cool. And El Faro, which is actually on the beach, had a great location near the action.. You're gonna love it..
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 07:21 AM

Hi, Melody!<BR><BR>Thanks for the tips. My husband and I are heading to PCD for the first time Feb 10. I've been watching weather.com, and it's been showing &quot;showers&quot; -- not sure what that means -- rain showers mixed with sun or cloudy and rainy? Anyway, I'm wondering how the weather was when you were there. How bout water temps?<BR><BR>Also, any suggestions for side trips? Did you see any ruins?<BR><BR>Thank you!<BR>De Anna
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 07:39 AM

Oh! And one more question -- where do you catch the Riviera bus? Is it outside the terminal where all the taxis are? Do you have to reserve it ahead of time?
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 10:26 AM

My husband and I returned from our first trip to Playa about a week ago. Weather then was cool with two cloudy days. Every day we were there it was warm enough for shorts and t-shirts during the day, but long sleeves and jeans were the only way to be comfortable at night if you were going to outside. Since most of the bars and restaurants are open air, we were outside.<BR><BR>I just took a look at weather.com and it does look rainy. However, a couple months ago we took a trip to Havana with the forecast of rain every single day. The reality was it rained for a couple hours one evening, other than that it was sunny with some occasional passing clouds. So, I wouldn't worry too much about the forecast. The temps look to be heading up, it probably won't even be cool in the evenings by te time you go.<BR><BR>As you exit the terminal in Cancun, head right and eventually you'll see the Riviera bus. Even if there doesn't happen to be one there, the guys in front who are trying to sell you taxis will tell you where the bus parks. We bought our tickets at the counter in the airport. Pretty much the last ticket counter you come to as you're exiting after customs. It's a bargain, can't imagine going any other way.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Hi boo --<BR><BR>My husband and I *loved* PDC...we went a few yrs ago before we were married, we are in our late twenties now. <BR><BR>We stayed at the Royal Hideaway Resort...an all-inclusive. it was fabulous! Lots of things to do nearby...the ruins at Tulum, Xel-ha (an eco-park with snorkeling, dolphins etc), the town of PDC has lots of neat shops, restaurants, bars, you can take the ferry across to Cozumel. We also did a great snorkeling excursion through snorkel adventure...they take you to a private beach for the day..lunch provided and unlimited cerveza and tequilla ;-) you go out a few times to the reef on small boats, 10 and 20 ft drops. it was a great time!<BR><BR>hope this helps...have fun!<BR>