Search

Just back from Cancun!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from Cancun!

We "won" a trip to Cancun at a costume contest. The agency required a $86 processing fee, plus we paid the taxes, resort fees and transfers. We added two days which made our total about $800. It was still a great deal with Le Meridien as our base. Our pictures can be found here:
http://llindac.myphotoalbum.com/view...umName=album13

We arrived via Charlotte USAir about 2:30. Our transfers were booked at Best Day Travels. We waited an uncomfortable 20 plus minutes on concrete without fans or seats waiting for the last couple to arrive. Finally, we were shuttled to our hotel. Note to travelers....work out a deal with a taxi.

We arrived to a smiling reception with warm towels and a mango smoothie. Our trip deal was base room, no perks. We are Starwood members, but did not get an upgrade. In all fairness, I believe we were given the best they could do. We were on the non-construction side in 312 with barely a view of the ocean and lagoon and mostly a view of the hotel next door. At least we weren't on the construction side. The huge hotel which has been under construction for three years will likely be under construction for several more years. Pity. The noise from the construction was annoying, but did not ruin the experience. More than anything, it is larger than the structures around it and is very ugly.

We really enjoyed the hotel. Food and drinks at the pool and other bars was expensive, but service was friendly and food was high quality. The breakfast buffet is $24 , but is amazing. There is an omelette station, plus stations offering fruit, beverages, Mexican specialties and more. The breakfast menu offered other items at a reasonable price. The gym and spa were top notch. They had Lifetime fitness machines with headphone attachments and TVs. They also offered spinning classes, yoga and personal training. They offered lemon water and specialty teas for guests. The 3 infinity pools were clean and temperature controlled. Number one at the top was the warmest, but was shaded early by the behemoth being built next door. Number 3 by the beach was at least 40 meters long and great for daily lap swimming. The beach was beautiful and the ocean varies day to day. It never was very calm, yet the tides yielded great shelling. I walked out a few feet and found 2 beautiful conch shells.

The taxi service from the hotel is expensive. I suspect that the bellmen are getting a kickback from the taxis. Walk down to the bus stop and negotiate a taxi price. We considered taking buses, but they were crowded and we watched as they pulled away while the passenger was barely off the step. No thanks, maybe later!

We found an authentic breakfast/lunch stop across from the Hilton at Km14. Ask for an English menu, they don't speak English. However, they have a fantastic view of the lagoon and seriously good, cheap eats. Many of the local workers stop here for breakfast and lunch.

On the first night, we ate at Laguna Grill. The place is lovely, but it was hot and sticky and the food was mediocre. There was only one other couple in there the entire time. Though the lagoon view and the interior of the restaurant is gorgeous, I suspect they may be in trouble based on some negative reviews.

Day number 2, we worked out , had breakfast and chilled by the pool and beach sipping Margaritas. We toasted the couple we parodied (daily) for our lovely trip. That afternoon, we walked about 4 miles up the strip and perused the hotel zone. Cancun is very clean around the hotel zone strip and easily walkable with wide sidewalks on both sides of Avenida Kukulcan. That evening, we ate at La Distileria. We had tequila samplers with the very nice manager giving us the tips on tasting. We had a mixed seafood platter which came out on a sizzling plate. It was fresh and absolutely delicious. Later, we did the tourist thing with sombreros and got serenaded by the Mariachi band to my theme song of "Cielito Lindo". I know that after several tequilas they were impressed with my singing and grasp of the Spanish language. We walked back to the hotel and enjoyed the warm breeze which is ever present.

On day 3, we worked out and had breakfast at the little restaurant across from the Hilton. The upstairs had a sweeping view of the lagoon and the food was authentic, with many workers stopping by for the breakfast baguettes and so forth. They spoke little or no English, but seemed glad for the business and our breakfast was about $8 total! We took a cab to the Puerto Juarez and took the 15 minute UltraMar ferry over to Isla Mujeres. It was not choppy at all and was clean and air conditioned. When we arrived, we rented a golf cart from Prisma for $40 for the afternoon (2-7). I had done some research and was craving the Chile Relleno from La Lomita restaurant (dubbed the "world's best.") We found the tiny place and enjoyed the best Mexican food we've ever consumed. We shared an order of the Frijole Sopa- a soup of beans, rice, tomatoes, avocado, onions and cilantro topped with cheese. Unbelievable. Rick had the fish and vegetables in foil which was great, but my Rellenos was a highlight. The pepper still had some crunch, not slimy like usual and the sauce, cheese and breading was sublime. I am forever spoiled. GO THERE. Look for the specials posted outside the door. Later, we toured the tiny island before settling at Sunset Grill for Margaritas and the incredible sunset. It was almost deserted, yet we made a couple of friends as we sat on the bar in swings and watched the glorious art show by Mother Nature. THIS was paradise. We had some chips and salsa and I bought some braided bracelets from the locals before ferrying home. The ferry runs every 15 minutes during the day and until 11 pm at night, so it is easy to do this fun side trip.

We had planned to do a snorkeling trip, but a bad case of bronchitis left me with a lingering cough and I didn't think I could enjoy it. We decided on having the splendid but expensive breakfast buffet for brunch and doing a late, hard workout followed by a beach walk and Bloody Marys at the pool. The tide was churning up beautiful shells and I found 2 perfect conch shells within 3 feet of the water's edge. We had a delicious order of calamari from the beach grill and enjoyed the afternoon just relaxing. Later, we walked to El Shrimp Bucket for dinner. The place looks like a total tourist trap, but we had fun waiters and terrific food. I had the scallop skewers and Rick enjoyed the shrimp. The seafood was fresh and bountiful.

We managed to get up early for a final workout and met our transfer to the airport. We had a not great lunch at Berryhill Restaurant in the terminal. It was maybe a half star up from Taco Bell. If you need last minute souvenirs or guilt gifts, they have it all in the airport. The shopping is terrific! They have an Air Margaritaville and Bubba Gump's as well as a couple smaller restaurants on the second level in case you need a Margarita to go.

Cancun was a perfect getaway for relaxing and great food. I wasn't in the mood to go partying or clubbing, but there's plenty of that for those so inclined. Language is not a problem. It is overbuilt and overpriced in many places, but I think the experience is enhanced by staying in an environment where you are pampered and spoiled. The water is beautiful, the seafood is fresh and delicious and the Mexican people are lovely. Watch out for a few tourist scams and avoid the timeshare agents. We had already experienced Costa Maya, Cancun, and XCaret so didn't take those side trips. I would go back if the deal was right. It is not paradise such as Virgin Gorda, Dominica, etc but it certainly is more fun than Florida! You can't beat that turquoise water, it calms the soul.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 05:06 PM

Your trip sounds great. Nice beach, nice photos, nice report. I think you'd like Guatemala. It's a kick, like La Lomita I think. Thanks for posting.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you santamonica. So much to see, so little time! ps...how can I win a trip to Guatemala?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM

You paid $800 and had to pay for your meals too?
Glad you enjoyed your trip but you didn't really "win" much of a prize, eh?
But it got you there for a nice relaxing week and those pretty beaches!
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Well, steelers....the air ws 380 each. We could have chosen Temptaitions,which was all inclusive, but as a non meat eater I didn't think I'd like it.I still thimk we got a great deal.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 07:05 AM

Although Cancun is not for me, I think you got a great deal, since your stay was at Le Meridien. I'd much rather stay there and pay for meals, then go all inclusive.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

I agree- Cancun is not my ideal getaway, but for 800 bucks, we had 5 days at Le Meridien, airfare and transfers, so I don't think that was bad at all. I didn't want all inclusive- I don't eat meat other than fish and those mass buffets are generally pretty bland. A couple of the little places we ate were quite reasonable. It definitely was cheaper than Switzerland!

We had the choice of 4 places including the Bahamas and chose Cancun because we had never been. Since we didn't have a hurricane, it was a splendid and very quiet time to visit. My preference, however, is a place like the British Virgin Islands which is truly paradise, not just a concrete strip of hotels.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 11:21 AM

You had choices on the prize? Well, that does make it better.
Any idea what the whole shebang cost you, air, fees, meals, drinks, activities?
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

The 800 was for the added 2 days, transfers, resort fees, taxes and airport fees. All drinks and food we paid on our own. I just wanted to try some of the local places instead of eating at one hotel every night. But everything else was included. Since the air alone would have cost us $760, I think we got a great deal. Plus , we won $500 in cash as well. We ate at some pretty upscale places, but we also ate at some Mom and Pop places, so it wasn't very high. Drinks at the resort were VERY expensive, however.