Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Help - Tamarindo, Montezuma, Domical ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I'm heading to CR with a friend (two girls - late 20's) for 6 nights. I've already been to MA and Arenal so want to try something different. I'm super stressed because my friend and I have different budgets / travel expectations.... Any recommendations between Tamarindo, Montezuma or Domical? She wants to be in an area with surfers for some of the time and also be able to go out to bars at night... I'd rather more bang for my buck and a nice (clean) hotel - a view and wildlife would be a plus! I also like to hike and do outdoors activities. We aren't renting a car either, which makes it a little more challenging...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM

What kind of budget are you looking at? We just returned from Montezuma(Ylang Ylang Resort) and it was fabulous! There is a lot of wildlife to view (monkeys, monster iguanas, and colourful birds, half kangaroo and half rat type animals--I forget their names) and stunning landscaped areas, all this right on the pacific ocean! We stayed in the beachfront domes, and the price was $265, and included the most incredible food we have ever had in Costa Rica (breakfast and dinner). The staff were amazing and very friendly. This is a small family run hotel, not a Hilton, but that is why we chose it. We did see some surfers, but apparently over in Malpais (a 20 minute drive) there are surfers galore. You can walk to the very funky town of Montezuma over the beach in 10 minutes, which has a very 60's/yoga feel to it, but the beauty of Ylang Ylang is that it is removed from the hustle and bustle of a town, but if you are up for a little action, only a short stroll over a stunning beach! Tamarindo will be much more touristed and much drier. I have also heard great things about Dominical. Good luck!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks that was helpful. Ylang Ylang is exactly where I would want to stay. My friend is on a tighter budget though and I'm not sure I can convince her to spring for it. Did any other hotels in the area look nice enough or like a close second? Amor de Mar is in her budget but it makes me a little nervous...
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 09:56 AM

By the way, bueno, there are cheaper accomodations at Ylang Ylang - I think they go as low as $165 (incl. meals) depending on the type of room you choose.
I did visit Amor de Mar while I was in town, and it is also very lovely. A lot of people on this forum think it's great. The beach in front is very rocky, so hard to swim, but there is a great tidepool that you can bathe in. I saw one of the rooms on the main floor, it was fine, maybe a bit dark, but looked clean enough. It seems like a very laid back resort. It's a bit closer to the action in Montezuma, but still removed a bit. The thing I loved about YY was the beautiful breezes that kept it cool even though it was in the 90's. And a tonne of shade trees and foliage to keep you shaded. Why does Amor de Mar make you nervous?
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

I read some negative reviews on Trip Advisor, which made me nervous... But I ultimately decided that for the $$, Amor de Mar would be the best compromise... unfortunately they are completely booked! So, back to square one. I will look into Ylang Ylang again - If that doesn't work out I'm thinking Roca Verde in Dominical. I definitely want to do some exploring so I think either Dominical or Montezuma would be better than Tamarindo for that. Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:12 PM

We have a lot of fun in Tamarindo. Lots of good restaurants and bars to walk to if you stay close to town. It's not really close to a lot of adventure although it is a popular tourist spot so many day trips (including transportation) are offered. Surfing is big in Tamarindo. Witches Rock has a surf school and affordable lodging - you might want to check out their website. They are right on the beach and most guests are around your age. I believe it is owned by a young couple who live onsite. There is also a Best Western across the street and up a few blocks. Their Monkey Bar is really fun and affordable. You'll see a lot of howler monkeys and iguanas along the beach - turtles are about 45 minutes away if you are going in the winter.