Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Itinerary help - leaving for CR in a few days!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I've decided, rather last-minute, to take a vacation to Costa Rica. I'm usually pretty comfortable "winging it", without a fixed itinerary, but given the last-minute nature of this trip (and my lack of time to do much research before I go) I asked a travel agent in CR to put an itinerary together for me. I arrive in CR on Saturday Feb 26 and leave on Sunday Mar 6, giving me about 7 1/2 days.

Here's the itinerary she's come up with--any recommendations for adjusting time spent in one location or another are greatly appreciated! Note that she's got me leaving on Mar 5, not the 6th, so I have one more day to work with than she's got planned--where should I spend it? Should I not book the tours in advance and just do it there, giving me a little bit of flexibility?

FEB 26 - SATURDAY
Airport pick up and transfer to Arenal (private transfer) (arrive in San Jose at 12:35 pm on Saturday 26-Feb - private transfer as tourist buses have established times) You will be arriving Arenal at ~4:00 p.m., on time for Tabacon Hot Springs entrance take a shuttle that runs from hotel to Hot Springs every two hours (make sure you ask the driver what time it leaves back to the hotel)
Overnight ARENAL PARAISO

FEB 27 - SUNDAY
BOAT-JEEP Transfer to Monte Verde, leaves at 7:30 a.m.
Skytrek Tour (can be perfectly done in the afternoon) Overnight Fonda
Vela

FEB 28 - MONDAY
Guided day Tour to Monteverde Reserve Cloud Forest Overnight Fonda
Vela

MAR 1 - TUESDAY
Transfer to Samara on tourist bus, leaves 8:30
Free day at the beach
Overnight Villas Kalimba

MAR 2 - WEDNESDAY
Overnight Villas Kalimba - Samara

MAR 3 - THURSDAY
Transfer to Manuel Antonio, tourist bus leaves 9:30 from Samara
Overnight Villas Nicolas

MAR 4 - FRIDAY
White Water Rafting Tour - Savegre River Overnight Manuel Antonio,
Rafiki Lodge (waiting list)
Or Villa Nicolas

MAR 5 - SATURDAY
Manuel Antonio Reserve Entrance
Transfer to the airport directly from Manuel Antonio or Rafiki Lodge,
(Private transfer)

Thank you so much for your help,
Jason
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

BTW, I'm a 34-year old single guy, taking this trip on my own...in case that changes your recommendations. I'm looking for fun/adventure mixed with a few days relaxing at the beach.

Cheers!
Jason
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:54 AM

The itinerary is good if you have about 10 days or 2 weeks. Rule of thumb is 2 locations every 3 days. You are going to be spending an extreme amount of time on the road, along with checking in, checking out. Much of your time will be spent focusing on transferring and getting settled in here and there.

All 4 locations are great, but selecting 2 of them would give you a more relaxed, yet fun and activity filled vacation. Arenal and Manuel Antonio are excellent for one week and first time visitors.

One night at Arenal absolutely does not make it worth your time in going there. If you were arriving early in the day and spending the night, it would be different. You are arriving about 1.5 hour before dark and leaving the next day.

It looks (on the map) like you can just hop from one place to another in a short amount of time, but that is not the case.

If the itinerary cannot be amended, I'm sure it will be fine. It will be mostly activity/moving time and not much relax time! We are all different, and perhaps a high energy vacation is just your cup of tea! Enjoy and have great time! Costa Rica is beautiful.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac,

Thanks for the response--I think you're right. Luckily the itinerary isn't (yet) locked in stone. I'll try to stay in Arenal for two nights, and maybe move on to Monteverde from there? Samara sounds so nice, but maybe that's the one to drop from the list, since it seems the furthest away from the other places.

What do you suggest about having the accomodations sorted out ahead of time vs. "winging it"? My worry is that given the last-minute nature of my trip and the proximity to the busy Easter time, while I wouldn't have trouble getting places to stay, I probably wouldn't be able to find spots in the nicer hotels.

Thanks again!
Jason
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:04 PM

We did a similar route last summer, but as Shillmac said, we took 2 wks. All those places are different; we personally loved Villas Kallimba but to do all that in a wk probably won't work well. The drives take a while and there is a lot to see in each place. Samara is quiet and pretty, but maybe if you are alone... too quiet?? We loved it, but we are parents and a 15 yr old son..actually it was my son's favorite beach as it was quiet. However, in MA as built up as it is you get both the rainforest and beautiful beaches. We rafted closer to San Jose on our last day, but did a mangrove boat ride near MA. Have fun! Joyce I think if you put trevorjoyce in "search" you can still get Trevor's trip report to tell you more...
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM

Hi Jason,
I'd be a bit nervous winging it this time of year. How about 2 nights Arenal, 2 nights MV, 3 nights MA?

Suggestions: Arenal Paraiso
MV (don't know)
MA-- Villas Nicolas
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback! I'm dropping Samara, hoping to come back another time to see Guanacaste and/or some other areas.

I'll focus for this trip on Arenal (2 nights), Monteverde (2 or 3 nights) and Manuel Antonio (4 or 5 nights).

One last question - should I go ahead and book my tours now or should I just do that when I get there, giving me more flexibility?

Thanks again--this board is such a fantastic resource! I'm excited for my adventure!

-Jason

So
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:56 PM

Jason, as long as you have your lodgings and transportations worked out you will be fine.

You should be able to easily book any activities once you arrive at each destination.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:15 PM

>> be arriving Arenal at ~4:00 p.m., on time for Tabacon Hot Springs..>>

Don't plan on this.

If your plane touches down 12:35 (maybe a little later -typical), then get thru and out of the airport (1:15) with no traffic or delays, no stops, you need 3.5 hours to Arenal.

>>I'll focus for this trip on Arenal (2 nights), Monteverde (2 or 3 nights) and Manuel Antonio (4 or 5 nights).>>

MA might get boring with 5 nights (unless you're doing the overnight rafting trip). I'd trade for an extra night in Mont. or Arenal, but that's me.

Consider the 2hr night hike (easy walk) in Mont. "Finca Ecologico" Very cool.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

now it's:
2 nights Arenal
2 nights Monteverde
2 nights Rafiki Lodge (outside Manuel Antonio)
3 nights Manuel Antonio

I could choose to take one night from MA and instead stay for 3 nights in MV (and 2 in MA). What do you think, my new and wise friends? -jason
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:28 AM

This looks good. you'll see three different kinds of rainforests.

I'd personally rather stay an extra night in Mont. or Arenal. A gorgeous beach is a gorgeous beach, and there are many around the world. After spending lots of time at many (several Hawaii and Caribbean spots), what really draws me to CR is the inland high country!

MA is a good spot for those wanting the beach life for several days. (Remember MA Park, best beach, is closed on Mondays)

You'll have a great time.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I woke up this morning and said, whoa, that's still too much moving around in such a short trip. So I've decided to do the following:

2 nights Arenal
3 nights Monteverde
3 nights Manuel Antonio

Less time traveling and more time enjoying my trip!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:11 AM

Now you've got the right idea! Pura vida!