Itinerary help!

Jun 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
m_v
Original Poster

Itinerary help!

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my other post.
As we are developing our itinerary, more and more questions keep coming up.
1. We arrive at 2pm. Is it possible to go stragiht to La Fortuna from the airport by public transport or shuttle bus?
2. If not, where is the best (ie cheapest, but safe) place to stay overnight that's close to the airport and bus terminal?
3. Related to #2: is it safe to take taxis around SJ to get to hotels? Is it cheaper to stay near the airport (can't seem to find cheap hotels there) or take a taxi to a cheaper hotel in town?

Now for the itinerary:
July 15 - arrival in SJ
July 16-18 - La Fortuna
July 19 - back in SJ to catch an early flight on the 19th to Puerto Jimenez
July 19 - 21 - Osa/Carcovado park (details not clear yet)
July 22 - Public bus to Dominical or Manuel Antonio
July 22-25 - MA or somewhere aroudn there for a few days of relaxation
July 25-??? Not sure what else, but have to make out way back to SJ by 29th.
We fly out on the 29th.

Any comments and suggestions on the itinerary are very much appreciated (ie. should we spend more time in a certain place, are we missing something we should see along th eway, is it feasable). Thanks for your input!
M
Jun 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM

Villa Bonita and Orquideas Inn are both popular, affordable spots near the airport. Interbus has a website; check to see if there's a schedule online that fits in with your timeframe.
Jun 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Without knowing interbus's schedule (the shuttle bust that can take you to arenal) I would say yes you can go straight to arenal. We arrived around 1pm and went straight there, but we also hired a private driver to pick us up, which moves faster than taking interbus.

You can always spend the last few nights back in the central valley region near Alajuela and visit La Paz, Poas Volcano, etc and then you will be within 30 minutes from the airport.
Jun 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Yes possible see link below...

http://www.costaricareisen.com/info/...ng.htm#FORTUNA

To FORTUNA (Arenal Volcano) from San José - DEP. ev. day from Terminal Atlántico Norte at 6:15, 8:40, 11:30; RET. 12:45; 14:45, 130 km; 4:30 hrs. $3.76 ** Auto-Transportes San José-San Carlos company. Tel. 255-4318

Or better for me nice lodging in the
area pretty cheap...many will pick you up at no charge...

ratings/reviews www.tripadvisor.com

Adventure lodge is nice

Posada Quijote Escazu very nice

Great view of city/valley

Taxis cheap safe

If you are travelling by bus watch
your luggage...

Would add monteverdeinfo.com to your
itinerary...

Have Fun

Jun 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM

I'm pretty sure the Interbus afternoon departure is either 2:30 or 3:30 from Garden Court near the airport, so I wouldn't try that route if your flights gets in at 2:00pm. http://www.interbusonline.com/
We like Interbus because the drivers have always been very friendly, there's been zero to 3-4 stops along the way, so probably much quicker than the public bus. We have had 8 passenger vans, as well as a couple of larger tourist buses.

Hotel Villa Bonita is a wonderful, friendly and very reasonably priced B & B about 5 min from the airport. If you stay there they could also help you with the bus schedule. I would go this option rather than heading into town.