Itinerary for 7 days in CR in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I (28 and 34y, very active) are planning a seven day trip to CR in the beginning of Jan. Feeling seriously overwhelmed by the guidebooks! We are thinking Arenal and Monteverde and maybe Tamarindo. We will be renting a car. Any thoughts, please help! My sister is a grad student, so we are looking for good prices BUT safety is our first priority. Thank you!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:26 PM

You're on the right track.

Assuming that you will enjoy light hiking to explore the natural beauty of CR's nat'l parks, right?

Lounging and surfing in Tamarindo area. Rincon de Vieja is a good option.

Arenal offers proximity to zip lines/canopy tours; hanging bridges, waterfalls, night views of the volcano,

You'll be safe in the areas you've mentioned. It's really the heart of the big city where the most (danger) is concentrated. Unless, you feel that zip lines are dangerous. Certainly, they are exhilirating. I <i>had</i> to do the zip lines because I fell off a roof years ago (and broke some things) and had to conquer my fear of falling. It worked!!

Rafting any of the rivers will be great. As would kayaking the ocean.

You'll mostly be setting your nature activities with the sunlight that is available. There are night hikes and such offered. Night life (discos) in Tamarindo area is an option.

Your statement &quot;feeling overwhelmed by the guidebooks&quot; Do you have specific questions that can be answered here ??
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:02 PM

Your most pressing need is to find available rooms. Most are fully booked for the first part of January--especially in the areas you are wanting to visit! All great areas, but tourism has taken a giant leap lately in Costa Rica. All the school kids are on vacation and the Tica families take their vacations in the same popular places that we like to visit! The nerve of them. . .
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! AM looking for specifics in terms of lodging advice and length of stay at each place. True travel times b/w each place. Thanks!
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 04:27 AM

In January, we spent three nights at the Fonda Vela in Monteverde and two nights at the Arenal Paraiso at Arenal. Basically it was 2 full days in each location. It was enough time at both places to do the major things that we wanted to do.

1. Explore the Cloud Forest in Monteverde.
2. Night hike in Monteverde.
3. Zip line experience in Monteverde.
4. Visit some other Monteverde attractions--craft studios/shops, butterfly garden, etc.
5. See Volcan Arenal put on its show at night.
6. See Volcan Arenal put on its show at night (it's worth two spots)
7. Volcan Arenal forest hike.
8. Day trip from Arenal to Cano Negro for boat tour--can't believe the number and variety of animals we saw.

We didn't rent a car--and driving to/from and around Monteverde can be very difficult, so be sure to get a good 4WD vehicle.

We stayed at the Fonda Vela in Monteverde--excellent rooms, service, and restaurant.

We stayed at the Arenal Paraiso at the volcano--perfect views of the volcano lava flows, eruption wake-up service if you request it, cute bungalows simple but modern and with nice baths and views of the volcano from your bed, nice pool area (one pool filled with hot spring water), restaurant not as good as Fonda Vela--some dishes excellent, some OK, none terrible. Mrs. Fly loved the mango daiquiries at the pool bar. Or was it the papaya daiquiries?