Notices

Isle of Woman??

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isle of Woman??

I have been researching our trip to Cancun next week and now have information overload. However, I did read something (not sure if it was on Fodors) regarding a ruin spot that has statues of women or a garden with statues of women? Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:25 PM

Isla Mujeres. Off the coast of Cancun about 45 min by boat. They have booze cruises that go over there as well. I visited to snorkel, and it was too rough. Kept slamming into rocks. Lots of steep steps to get from the boat up to the small town. Did not make it to the garden.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 02:32 PM

I didn't make it to the statues either, but Playa Norte has got to be the most beautiful beach ever! There are no waves there and the water is crystal clear and like bath water. Aaahhh!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 05:46 AM

I'm confused about the previous post. First, The booze cruise may take 45 minutes, but the ferry only takes 15-20 minutes. Second, I've been to Isla Mujeres 3 times and I've never seen or heard about a garden with statues of women in it.
I will agree with LA Fadeaway, Playa Norte is one of the most beautiful beaches I've EVER seen. It's certainly worth a trip over for the day, and you may even decide you like the island better than Cancun. Many do, including myself!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Apparently, Isla Mujeres (or the "Island of Women") was so called because of paintings of women the Spanish found in Mayan temples on the island. I have never heard of any currently existing statues or paintings. You can see photos of the island and read about the sights on my Web site at www.oneeyed.homestead.com/cancun.html. Playa Norte is wonderful as others have said, and I wouldn't mind going back there and staying for a few days.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 03:14 PM

Yeah, I've been there several times and never seen or heard about statues or gardens. Plenty of babes out on north beach though... ;-)

My photos of Isla Mujeres are at: www.tiogringo.com/isla.html

Have fun!
Mark
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Mark-

Great website! We will definitely be taking your advise on our visit this weekend! Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 11:41 AM

There use to be a small, non-descript Mayan ruin (very very small) on the south tip of the island.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:27 PM

We've stayed there a couple of times. (a places called Maria's...timy, but great). When we first went there in '85 (I think) there used to be a small ruin of some type...maybe a large altar, out on the end of the island. Anyway, a huge hurricane blew through several years after that and when we were last there, it was just a pile of rocks. The island, however, got a nice facelift after the hurricane. The place to snorkel has been ruined by tourists coming over on the booze/snorkel cruises from Cancun. No statues of women anywhere, but a great little place to lay back and do nothing.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Isla Mujeres info can be found by logging on to
www.isla-mujeres.net
Great sight.