Notices

Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

Old Jun 15th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cozumel vs Isla Mujeres

I've seen mixed reviews about going to Cozumel vs Isla. I'm interested in hearing which you like better and why......Thank you!
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 10:57 AM
pat

I want to know too!
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 02:08 PM

My time on Cozumel is very limited, we took the ferry over from Playa del Carmen a few years ago for the day.

There are larger hotels, more people, and it seemed busy. For me the biggest downside to Coz is the enormous number of cruise ships that dock there, virtually every day.

If you're divers, Coz is regarded to have better diving.

I've stayed on Isla several times. The island is only five miles long, and very narrow. The hotels are smaller, lots of small properties.

Lots of absolutely wonderful small restaurants. Best chili rellenos I've ever tasted. Wonderful grilled fish dishes for less than $7.00US.

Some people don't like Isla because you do see poverty, the island has a 'shanty town', started after Hurricane Wilma a few years ago.

My vote goes to Isla.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, Jean.....this would be just for a day trip. Not sure I want to share an island with all the cruise ship passengers!
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Cozumel from Cancun is a very long day trip. The bus from downtown Cancun is about an hour, stopping along the way. Then you need to get the ferry over from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel.

Isla is an easy trip and we loved the atmosphere. Still had many people, but nothing like Cozumel. The reef/diving park at one end was very damaged in the last hurricane (Wilma?) and our guide took us elsewhere.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM
pat

Can we walk from the pier where the ferry lands in Isla, to the shops, restaurants, etc? Not much of a beach person.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 02:59 AM

Yes, you can walk to shops and restaurants. Many people choose to rent a golf cart for a few hours and tour the island that way. But, there's plenty to occupy a few hours within walking distance.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 09:59 AM

My vote is for Isla too. I just love thi Island. It's very nice, layed back and your a ferry ride away from Cancun. I have to say at night there isn't too much to do or many places open (other than restaurants) but it is very beautiful and has a lot of history. Rent a golf cart and cruise the island.

Coz. is also beautiful, but they have thousands and thousands of people dropped off there from cruise ships daily and you can't move or get around when that happen. So I'm all for Isla.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM

I'm probably a minority here. I've stayed on Cozumel a few times over the years (although not since 2000) and always liked it. I especially like it during carnival. I've stayed on Isla Mujeres twice. I liked it a lot the first time, but I didn't find it as charming the second time around. I'm not sure why I didn't care for it as much the second time. The beach is wonderful there - much nicer than on Cozumel, but the snorkeling was much better off Cozumel.