Search

Isla Mujeres

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isla Mujeres

My husband and I were invited to a wedding on this island in February 2007. I was told it was a few miles off the coast from Cancun. Has anyone visited? What is it like? Is is safe?

Thanks!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 03:36 AM

Do a search, lots of information out there on Isla.

Easy to get to from Cancun, but a completely different travel experience. It still has a bit of small town flavor, I'm not sure how long that will last with more big properties being built.

I feel safe there, returning with a group of women in March.

Some people are uncomfortable there, you do see some poverty.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Beautiful white sand beaches with gorgeous turquoise water. It's got a sort of alternative, backpacker vibe to it in comparison to Cancun. It's a bit rattier than Cancun's hotel zone, with smaller, family run hotels. Good, interesting restaurants. Lots of tavalera pottery from Puebla is for sale in the shops. I didn't feel at all unsafe there. I'd definitely go back for a laid back vacation.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM

A very lovely place to spend 1/2 day/t takes 15 minutes or so to get there on the fast ferry, for the difference in cost it pays, trust me.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Nice place to stay, we have been there four times now, always end up there at the end of our vacation. I think you mean 2008?

You can get a transfer (private if you wish) from the Cancun airport to Gran Puerto Real ferries at Puerto Juarez or take the ADO bus to downtown Cancun bus station and then taxi for a few dollars to Puerto Juarez. Cost is US$3.50 each way and the ferries run every 30 minutes until about 8:30 or 9pm and then every hour until 11:30 or so.

It is very safe, we have never had any problems. Try islamujeres.info, lots of active posters there.

If you plan on going in February, book soon as it is high season, so you can get the hotel or whatever you want. I think also in either February or March they also have Carnival (depends on when Lent is) which is a BIG deal there. Have fun.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM

If you're looking for a hotel, I made a mental note that the Maria del Mar (nice pool and grounds, just a block to the beach) would be where I'd like to stay in the future.

jamie, would you tell me more about carnival in isla mujeres? What should I expect if I make plans to go?
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 05:54 AM

Go on www.islamujeres.info for tons of info. We are headed there with our 3 kids in March and can't wait. I have friends who love it there. I am told it is how Playa del Carmen was many years ago. You rent golf carts on the island. There are many nice hotels including a new Palace resort that just opened. There are also nice local places. Be sure to get a Mapchick map too. It has all the local places and info...wonderful resource.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 12:37 PM

It is a great laid back island. We love it there.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM

My wife and I are going to Isla Mujeres for the third time in January. It is a very quaint fishing village with a fair amount of tourist activity. I think it is more authentic than some of the other places around Cancun. It is not a resort, but has some very nice places, good restaurants, and is a very friendly place. Very safe. You will feel comfortable walking on the beach and through town at night. Never a problem. We love it.