Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is there carpet in any hotels in the beach towns in Mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like carpets in hotels. Though during a recent trip to Cancun I noticed that most if not all the hotels had no carpet. Just a cold hard floor to make the noise bounce up and down the halls and make the rooms seem cold and uncomfortable.

Someone told me that carpeting is very uncommon in Mexico and much of Latin America. Tell me it is not true!
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:13 AM

I'm certainly not the most widely traveled person around, but in several trips to Mexico, Costa Rica and Belize, I've never seen any carpeted rooms. We tend to stay in smaller hotels, but not necessarily cheap ones. Our room in Belize did have a wood floor, as opposed to tile. Of course, some of the cabanas in Tulum have sand......

Jean
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:33 AM

Lowell, how did you notice that all the hotels in Cancun had no carpets? Did you visit them all? Why weren't you at the beach enjoying yourself and not worrying about carpets?

Well, hotels at the beach have to deal with very wet conditions which don't work well with carpet as you can imagine. Plus the sand that people bring in on their feet does not work well with carpet. The cleaning staff would be vacuuming all day to get the sand out. The humidity and the wetness in the air would turn the carpet mildew in no time. Hotels do this to reduce maintenance and save money so they can pass the savings over to you LOL.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:06 AM

I don't normally go to resort areas, but I can tell that wall to wall seems fairly rare in private homes. I have been in some upscale hotels and business settings that are carpted as in the u.s.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 09:00 AM

Resort or beach hotels usually don't have carpets because of the reasons explained above. Hotels in most cities are carpeted. In fact, I have travelled throughout Latin America for business, and never stayed at one which was not carpeted (I visited most capital cities).

Regards,

Enrique
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 09:29 AM

Lowell, one more reason and it is in exactly what you say that without a carpet they just have a cold hard floor. Well I think that is just the point"COLD" when it's 95 degrees outside in Cancun and it was that and hotter this past August then you want your floor to be hard and cold so the rooms feel cold and comfortable.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 09:55 AM

I can't believe I'm answering this question, but yes, the JW Marriott in Cancun had carpeting. It was new, so it was very nice, but in the long run, tile or marble would probably be much cleaner...
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 10:42 AM

I can't believe I am answering this too! but most of the hotels do not have wall to wall the ones I have been to all have an area rug on a tile floor. The reason as stated above it's too humid.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 04:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Believe me, you do NOT want carpet traveling in the tropics!!

There's a very good reason tile, marble, cement are normally used. As already mentioned, heat, humidity, bugs, difficulty in keeping it clean - yuck! And yes a *cold* floor is totally preferable when it's 80 to 95 degrees outside.

I can speak to Puerto Vallarta and La Paz and have been at 3/4 star properties but (thankfully) I have never seen wall to wall carpet in the 6 or 7 various hotels I've stayed at.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 04:38 PM

Oh yes, and ease of cleaning up the sand you track in from the beach!
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:11 PM

I've been in hotels, apartments, condos, and homes in Cancun and in Los Cabos and have not seen any carpeting with the exception of area rugs. Carpeting is very uncommon in the resort areas of Mexico.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like a way for the hotels to save money and have an excuse when people complain about the noise. (carpet is an effective soundproofer)

There are many hotels with carpet in Miami Beach, Myrtle Beach and Coco Beach. Why not Mexico?
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:30 AM

I can't believe I'm responding to this again, but that's the ambiance of Mexico, which apparently you didn't enjoy. But different strokes for different folks. I live near the beach in Florida, have been to Miami, Cocoa, and several other beach areas in the U.S. including Myrtle Beach. There's no way the beaches compare. I visit Mexico 4-5 times a year. Why? Mexico is a beautiful country with beautiful people and beautiful beaches. What more could you ask for, other than carpeting, when on vacation? Just out of curiosity, at which hotel did you stay when you were in Cancun? Did you have the opportunity to visit the downtown area and mingle with the wonderful locals? What type of food did you eat? Please keep in mind that different countries do things differently, so when you visit, just go with the flow and enjoy. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to return. Life is too short to worry about carpeting in a hotel room!
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:23 AM

I have relatives in Mexico and began to learn more about costs of things vs. salaries. It is much more cost effective to put down tile once then maintain and replace carpet. If they couldn't afford to maintain it properly, then people would complain as to the quality of the rooms and the cleanliness, mildew, smell, etc.The value of a dollar is alot different there, much less disposible income. I don't remember carpet in any homes I went to.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 08:30 PM

Lowell, May I offer this simple solution to your problem. You should vacation in Florida, not Mexico! Thereby giving everyone a break!!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 04:58 AM

I'd much rather walk with my bare feet on a nice clean tiled floor in Mexico than a mouldy old carpet in Florida.
We have been to Mexico many times and really love the atmosphere of the tiled rooms. Mexico produces some of the worlds best tiles -- they are what makes a hotel room in Mexico special!!

Just my two cents worth.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:29 AM

Not to mention it is easier to clean up vomit/urine etc from drunk spring breakers & the like. Pity the poor maids if the floors were carpeted! The rooms would look like hell inside of a month.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:22 PM

oh please, mexican homes have used tiles (not w/w carpet) for obvious reasons of climate, cost, cleanliness long before they ever dealt with tourists including the potential spring break nightmare.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:07 PM

I'm leaving for Mexico soon and will be staying in a wonderful apartment with wall-to-wall tile. Maybe Lowell would like to rent my house in Florida near the beach while I'm gone, but then again, I also have tile, so he wouldn't be happy here either.