Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

New Years' beach holiday: Mayan Riviera, Belize, CR, or Panama?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I am planning a New Year's trip with my boyfriend to Central America. For our 'beach' trip last year, we did Nevis/St. Kitts and really enjoyed the more laid-back, quiet style...so we're looking for similar, but with better beaches. What we want:

1. Smaller, non-AI, hotel or inn (max $200/nt) - but not too small, we like the ability to be anonymous
2. On/adjacent to a nice beach - white sand, no sea grass, no rocks
3. In/near small town or village (eg. 5-10 min. walk) with a handful of restaurants/bars
4. LAID BACK - I want the ability to go in flip flops from the beach & sun, to dinner & drinks, to bed (flip flops removed there)
5. Access to activities - e.g. short drive to hiking, ruins, etc.

I was thinking about Tulum for the above (e.g. Ana y Jose or Zamas)...but have heard great things about Belize (Placencia or Ambergris Caye), CR, and Panama...just wasn't convinced we'd be as pleased with the beaches. We want a unique experience, aren't set on any location yet and would switch locations for the right hotel that meets our needs...we'll figure out the airfare later.

Any ideas??? Thanks in advance!!!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 09:10 AM

I love Belize, but I think you would be disappointed in the beaches. They just aren't as beautiful as the ones in Mexico. I also haven't found a great beach destination in Costa Rica, but I haven't been to the Guanacaste region.

I like the Tulum area of Mexico, but it's pretty spread out and the town itself is a couple miles inland. I haven't been to Playa del Carmen in a couple years, it's growing by leaps and bounds, but the beach is lovely and there are loads of small hotels and great restaurants.

I also like Isla Mujeres, nice small Mexican town, a very nice beach and great (and cheap) restaurants.

I haven't been to the Pacific side of Panama, the San Blas islands are beautiful, but the Kuna Indians run a tight ship and lodging and food are really limited.

If beach is your top priority, I'd head to Mexico.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 10:55 AM

We've stayed in Akumal, just north of Tulum and south of Playa del Carmen, and on Ambergris Caye and I think you will find what you are looking for in Akumal. It is a small town with a handful of restaurants, a few hotels, a couple small stores and a great feel about it. We stayed in a condo but there are a couple of hotels in town that seemed real nice. Check it out on Google. San Pedro was nice too, but the beaches are not as nice as Akumal/Tulum.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Fly to Panama City. Rent a car. Drive the ninety minutes up the coast to Santa Clara. Rent a cottage on the beach (around $90.) Sleep late. Swim all day. Walk the beach. On weekdays it is all yours. Buy fresh fish from the fishermen as they bring it in. Or go to a restaurant and have utterly the best corbina in the world. Look at the moon. Go dancing. If you feel the urge to see more, drive to El Valle. Panama, fantastico.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies! You've made me feel better about leaning toward Tulum/Akumal...on another thread, they were bashing the entire Mayan Riviera coast as too touristed, but I have to think once you get south of Playa it's better. Panama sounds tempting, so I may look into that more...

Any particular recommendations for hotels in Santa Clara or Akumal?

Also, can anyone confirm the status of the beaches in Akumal/Tulum...I just wanted to make sure that the beautiful beaches that everyone describes are still there post-hurricanes!

Thanks,
Megan