Search

Is the water/food safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Ali

Is the water/food safe?

My husband and I are headed to Cabos this september. It is our first time going to mexico. Is the water there safe? We are staying at the Finnisterra, they claim to have an Artesian well. Can I eat and drink at the local restaurants without getting sick? Should I ask my doctor for shots?

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 09:00 PM
traveller

I doubt you will have any problem at Finnisterra but we always drink bottled water anyhow (when in Mexico). But Finnesterra is supposed to be first rate and we stay a "lesser" places. You do not need shots. Bring along a bottle of Pepto Bismal for any stomach ailments. You must remember (according to my doctor friend) that if you do get a bit of the runs, that is how your body deals with bacteria but Pepto Bismal is the best (according to him) short term relief for this. <BR> <BR>I have travelled a great deal and certainly been very sick in a couple of countries but Cabo was not one of those areas. I just used a bit of caution (i.e., ice, salad washed in local water). No matter how careful they are and in many places they are very careful, the bugs that they have are different than what our bodies are used to. So just use a bit of caution. If you do get a bit of Montezuma's Revenge, use that good old Pepto Bismal. Good luck.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 05:31 PM
d motl

We have had even better luck with acidolphilus (dried yougert) -- found in the vitamin section. Taken 3 times a day it fills your intestines with so many USA bugs that your guts think they are back home. By the way Mexicans that come to Canada or No. USA have the same problems we do when we go down there. JUst remember to limit your fruit based drinks as fruit is a natural laxative.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Teresa

Hi Ali, <BR>We were just in Akumal. All of us got sick. (Nightmare vacation!) We even went to our Family Doctor for a "travel visit" before we left. He told us a lot...like don't drink the water...get bottled water, even brush your teeth with it. Don't drink drinks with ice...WHAT??? How can you drink a Margarita without ice, I say??? You can't, take Imodine, lots of it. Don't eat any fruit you can't peel yourself. I also heard they inject their melons with their tainted water to get a better price/weight at market. We got tetanus and Hepititus A shots (just for this trip!) before we left. I think you need to get that Hepititus A shot a couple of weeks before going and it is a series of three shots. It will be good for life though. We got sick any way. Is this a relaxing vacation when you have to worry about getting sick? Ever thought of going to the Caribbean? If so e-mail me, I can tell you of wonderful, romantic places to go. <BR>Teresa

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 05:45 PM
traveller

We have never been sick in Cabo but always use bottled water, even to brush our teeth. We stay away from salads, just to be safe but in Cabo there are many very good places to eat where you need not worry. We have certainly been extremely sick in other parts of Mexico and S. Am. I had horrible food poisoning in South America. <BR> <BR>Just as a word of warning, the only place that we got bad food was the lobster special at the Bahia Condo - it was expensive and microwaved so I would avoid there. Mocambo's is very good as is Ediths. <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:35 PM
texasgirl

Hi, I don't think you will need shots for los cabos; it has become a very modern resort town. (In fact, I've never needed shots for a Mexico trip, and have been to quite a bit of the country) Of course ask your doctor if it will make you feel better. At restaurants, just make sure your food is hot and don't eat salads or fruits or veggies you can't peel if you are nervous. <BR> <BR>On another note, Teresa, I'm very sorry you seemed to have such a disastrous trip in Mexico, but I think you have gotten your point across. Thanks for sharing the information, but as a traveler who loves Mexico _ and has had many wonderful experiences there _ I am beginning to get tired of hearing how terrible everything was for you. Maybe I am just feeling protective of a country that I love, but I don't think it is fair for you to jump onto every post on this board and bad-mouth everything about the entire country. <BR>I hope you have a more pleasant experience on your next vacation, wherever it is.....

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Teresa

texas girl, <BR>As another TEXAS girl to another...I can write what I want, any where I want, as much as I want. Thank goodness this is the U.S. and I can do just that! I will write when I see fit, as you do, so if my writing on this site bothers you...when you see my name just arrow on down, hon!&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>Teresa/from Texas too!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:23 PM
Jose Jimenez

"they inject their melons with their <BR> tainted water to get a better price/weight at market" <BR>Thank you for that Teresa, it's the stupidest thing I have ever seen posted here and that's saying something. <BR>Somehow though I feel you have missed your calling. <BR>I feel bad that a unique talent like yours is going to waste, that somewhere a village is being deprived of an idiot. <BR>Ali-the only shot you need to will be to beef up your line of credit, Cabo is brutally expensive and horridly overbuilt. <BR>If Teenage Hookers, Strip Bars and Drug Traffickers are your idea of Heaven then you gonna luv Cabo!!!

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:06 AM
Teresa

Jose' <BR>It is obvious that you are a Mexican & probably live in Mexico...case closed... <BR>Teresa

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 12:20 PM
MikeyMike

SAD.. VERY SAD,DEBBIE. Its' particular, <BR>narrow minded, tourists like you that give Americans a bad name abroad. Get an above - ground pool and stay home.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 01:22 PM
Susan

Mike, I think your comment is directed at Teresa, not Debbie! Please don't criticize Debbie (in addition to a totally cool e-mail address, I think Debbie's Canadian like me, not American!).

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 01:23 PM
Escritora

Ali, just to get back to practical advice here: <BR> <BR>You need to stick to the bottled water. Yes, even when you brush your teeth and rinse your toothbrush. (It's a good idea to bring a spare, because once you relax into your vacation it's SO easy to forget!) And if the ice in the margaritas isn't made from bottled water and you have a margarita anyway, you've sealed your own fate. That's the way it is. <BR> <BR>Ask politely and respectfully. It's not that "their" water is "bad". It's just that the bacteria it contains is different from the bacteria our contains. They have the same problems up here that we have down here. <BR> <BR>Acidopholus taken preventatively can help. You also can take Pepto BEFORE you eat, also as a precaution. Hepatitis shots, which I got before going to Thailand, might be a good idea if you like ceviche or plan to eat a lot of fish. If you're not a seafood person, it's probably not necessary--but definitely get your medical advice from your doctor. <BR> <BR>Language lesson: As a poster in another thread noted, the words in Spanish are either "una botella de agua" (a bottle of water) or "agua embotellada" (bottled water). Agua mineral is carbonated, if that's your preference (neither is more or less safe than the other). And add "por favor" (please) at the end of your request!

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 07:12 PM
Lisa

Hi Ali. We are considering Finisterra in April with friends. Like to know what you thought. I heard it is not safe for swimming, somewhere else I read that you just need to be cautious. Let me know and how far is it to walk to town?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:54 PM
Ali

Thanks for the relevent comments. <BR>Especially the language lesson. By the way - just how much spanish should I know? <BR>I leave very soon.. <BR>Way excited! <BR>I will try to update this column on how my trip went, if anyone cares....

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:01 AM
love2go

For Lisa: We stayed at the Finisterra and liked it very much. We were in the older part, but got to see the newer condos and they were both very nice. We did buy our own water, or ask for it at restaruants. The Finisterra is walking distance to town. We were there in May and the beach was posted for NO swimming due to a strong riptide. The staff was very friendly. We thought Cabo very expensive.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 12:07 PM
adrian

Hey - exactly how expensive is it? Do you mean that restaurants are jsut not 'mexico cheap' and are priced with american type prices or do they cost even more? Someone please clear this up.. Everyone jsut says it is expensive.. HOw expensive..? <BR>Also - Can someone jsut get pesos from ATMs instead of from the currency exchange places, to avoid commision?

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Michelle

I stayed at the Finisterra last October and loved it. Stayed in the newer part of the hotel. The pool and the people that waited on us were terrific. We always drink bottled water - but, that's as far as I go. We travel to Mexico often; went to Puerto Vallarta this June. I still brush my teeth with tap water, and have yet to have a problem - and both trips I was in Mexico for more than a week! <BR> <BR>As for prices and ATM's. I found prices in Cabo higher for hotels and lodging that other places in Mexico, but think that food prices are comparable to other parts Mexico. In other words, you can eat at pricey restaurants and also lower-priced, authentic Mexican food restaurants (my favorites!!!!). <BR> <BR>I find it VERY easy to get money from ATM's. The machines are plentiful - and - easy to use! <BR> <BR>Enjoy your vacation. I'll be there in 10 days and also heading back for the Christmas holidays!!!!

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Monkey

The water is the main thing. Unless a place has its own purification system use bottled water for everything. Mexican folks, if they can afford it, drink bottled water. In all the litttle stores in Mexico they have little yougurt drinks in little bottles. I am convinced they help your stomach acclimatize to different bacteria there. I have only been sick once in approximateley 100 trips. mexicans don't like to get sick any more than we do. Find a place that is popular with the locals to eat. You won't get sick. Have fun.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 07:04 PM
mike

Eat, drink and eat and drink. I have been to Cabo twice and never had a problem. All of the restaurants and bars use purified water and I have stayed at the Finisterra twice and drank the water from the room's bathroom and lived to tell about it. IN addition, I have had more than my fair share of drinks in town and at the Finisterra. You may want to stay away from places that look way off the beaten path, but seriously, even those places are probably OK, too. Believe me, these people survive on tourism, the last thing they want is for you to get sick and tell everyone how much it sucks down there.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 01:51 PM
keith

My theory is that people often get tourista because they get off their regular schedule away from where they are used to "going": after missing a couple of BMs at the start of the trip and being afraid of eating and drinking everything and then filling up on something tasty (like guacamole) but not what you are used to . . . well, what can you expect your body to do except . . . ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -