Is Los Cabos worth visiting?

Aug 12th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Is Los Cabos worth visiting?

I'm planning a trip to Los Cabos for a week in October so I'm trying to do some research on this forum. It seems like a lot of people have negative things to say about this place. Now, I'm not sure if I should go to Cancun instead. Is there anything good about Los Cabos and is spending a week there too long?
Aug 13th, 2003, 06:39 AM
VoyageurFacile

I am going to Los Cabos in two weeks and I have been there before, however, I am a frequent visitor to Mexico. If you have the latitude in your planning I would recommed Cancun, Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Ixtapa/Zihautanejo ahead of Los Cabos, but obviously I think Los Cabos is worthwhile or I wouldn't be going there in two weeks. Keep in mind that October is hurricane season. Los Cabos may give you slightly better prospects for good weather, but of course that is not something you can plan.

Aug 13th, 2003, 09:21 AM

Having never been to Cabo, take with a grain of salt... but I'd recommend Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa/Zijuat, even Cancun or Cozumel, ahead of Cabo.

Partly it is the negative things you fairly consistently hear about it regarding tourists experience there, but also it is a DESERT bigtime. I enjoyed one vacation in La Paz (nearby), but much prefer the Bay, mountains, jungle, quaint setting of PV.

Cabo does seems popular with people who really want good deep sea fishing, golf, like that.

Again just my opinion, but if a week is "too long" I'd consider a different destination. I still cry in the taxi back to the airport every time I leave PV!
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I may just check out the other places you recommended.

VoyageurFacile, why is it worthwhile for you to go back to Los Cabos?
Aug 14th, 2003, 03:58 PM
bquarre

I went about 10 years ago and had a good time, but would not go back. It was a great place to go for a quick, cheap, spur of the moment get-a-way. Check out Zihuatanejo some day. Que bien!

Aug 14th, 2003, 07:03 PM

Just returned from Los Cabos this morning. Had a wonderful time, although was disappointed that many of the beaches are unswimmable due to rough seas, rip tides and deep drop offs close to shore, I enjoyed every minute. Would I go back again? I would, but prefer Cancun because of the beautiful white sandy beaches.
Aug 27th, 2003, 07:43 AM

My husband and I went to Cabo San Lucas last March and stayed at the Fiesta Americana which is aways from town. Cab fares can get a bit pricey the farther you are from town - that was a downfall. Overall though we had an awesome time there to say the very least. We saw Sammy Hagar perform at his club Cabo Wabo on St. Patty's day which rocked, spent the day snorkeling off of Lovers Beach and walked over to the Pacific Ocean - Divorce Beach, toured the famous arch on a water shuttle and the sea lion colony, did a sunset/dinner cruise which was the most memorable night - it was the whale migration season and we followed a mother and her calf on their journey...they kept rising out of the water and splashing back down- the most unbelievable sight in the world! Excursion that I wished we had done was the ATV's - heard great things about that. Did plenty of shopping downtown and ate at bunch of little restaurants including Hard Rock and Carlos and Charlies - dinner along the pier can be a bit overpriced for what you get but it was nice to eat there at least once....alot of lil' outdoors bars (best one we found was the Baja Cantina - where the fishermen hangout) along the pier that do a ton of food/drink specials. The pier is amazing to walk around just to see the boats and yachts that dock there!

I have been both to Cancun (2x) and Puerta Vallarta...and to me Cancun is very commercialized whereas Cabo is still a smaller Mexican resort area that is slowly being built up.

We would definitely go back someday.
Aug 27th, 2003, 09:29 AM
eb

I agree with everything that sallybruin said! We've been to Cabo 4 times and already have our plane tickets to go back in May! I definitely recommend the ATV's to the sand dunes. A nice restaurant/bar on the Marina is Ole' Ole' - we ate there twice when we were in Cabo in May - the guacamole and chips are the best! Also had a great lobster there! Pancho's is another great restaurant. We've enjoyed Mocambo's for seafood in the past, but we were disappointed in it this last trip. We've been to Cancun, Ixtapa/Zihautanejo, Puerto Vallarta, and Acapulco and like all of them, and would certainly go back, but for now Cabo is our favorite.
Aug 28th, 2003, 03:45 PM

I will agree with eb and sallybruin, Cabo is great!!!! I have been there twice and my husband three times. We always stay at the Finisterra. It is right on the water and is within walking distance to town. Great location!!

The best time to go is in December - March for the Gray and Humped backed Whales. You can see them from you hotel room balcony in the morning and evening. We also took a trip to Bahia Magdalena. It is a bay where the Gray whales come to give birth. Great adventure! You get to go out in these little fishing boats so you can get very close to them.

There is also some neat shopping in La Paz and you can see the Hotel California in Todos Santos.

Oh yes we also saw Sammy Hagar at the Cabo Wabo. He must be there often so the place can't be too bad.

Where every you decide to go HAVE FUN.
Aug 28th, 2003, 04:20 PM

I enjoy traditional Mexican activities like surf fishing, body surfing , oyster diving, beachcombing along an isolated beach, traditional Mariachi music sung at my mom & pop palapa-roofed, sand-floored restaurant table smack dab on the beach, snorkeling at an uncrowded cove, and practicing my Spanish with the friendly locals who out number the tourists! No motor cycles, ATM's, para sailing, beach hawkers, massive crowds, unrulely drunks, or discos. Just the natural attributes the area has to offer. Try the Costa Alegre between PV and Manzanillo- a Real adventure far from the maddening crowd!
Aug 28th, 2003, 07:58 PM

Yeah, well what you like professer than ain't Cabo.

Cabo the town is commercialized, Cancun run amok, whatever zoning was in place for archectiture was long ago dissembled.

Hooker bars, girly bars, tacky loud noisy tourist bars , overpriced silver shops, mediocre shopping, this exist in Cabo.

Not to mention they don't have adequate sewage treatment, with the stink stuff bubbling up thru the city grates. Watch where you eat and walk, remember the dust vermin.

The city gives out unlimited licences to the beach vendors and that there is money to be made doing so, the beaches are overrun, literally overun with Vendors.

Timeshare are everywhere and now that tourism is down twice as hungry.
Do a google on Timeshare Fraud Mexico, the Beat has been publishing letters from the defraudes, the phony buy backs, it runs rampant.

The police are corrupt and on the take, watch your step.
The hooker trade is lifting wallets, right out there on the main drag, watch your wallet. All this published in the local rag.
Adios.
Aug 28th, 2003, 08:11 PM

Hurricane Ignacio blew by there about 4 days ago and dumped volumes of rain, hence the highway was flooded and the town littered with washed up mud and debris.

Don't foget it is Hurricane Season.