Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is it necessary to book tours in advance in CR in August??

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, We are going to CR in August and I was wondering if it is necessary to book tours in advance. We would prefer not to. We have some ideas of what we would like to do but are not sure on what days, and we like to be flexible. We are considering a guided tour of MA, possibly horseback riding while in MA area, hanging bridges (maybe in Arenal), maybe zip line tour (not sure about this yet) and possibly Cano Negro Boat tour. I would appreciate anyone's input. If at all possible, we prefer not to have the whole tripped booked up in advance. Typically, we like to decide the night before what we want to do the following day.

I know that the hanging bridges in Arenal accept credit cards. Does anyone know about any of the other tours?
Thanks.

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:26 PM
lvk

Sorry to jump in on your thread, Kwoo (but at least now it will go back to the top and maybe get some answers). I will be in CR in August also, and I was wondering the same thing, plus a few more questions.

I think I've read elsewhere that it is cheaper to book your tours in La Fortuna, instead of from the hotels. Does anyone have experience with this? Also, are there any particular tour companies that are better than others?

Thanks everyone for all of your help. One month to go!
Linda
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Kwoo,
July is the high month of the low season, if that makes sense. August much less so. My advice would be to book as you go. I don't think you will encounter any problems with doing so. That said, if there is something in particular that you are just determined to do and would be crazy upset if you didn't get to do it, go ahead and book. Othwise, you can afford to play it by ear as you go.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Shillmac. I feel much better now about waiting until we get there to book tours. I don't like to have my whole trip booked up before we leave. There are enough things we want to do and we are flexible people, so if there is one tour we can't do, that is fine. I'm sure we will find something else we are interested in.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:42 AM
lvk

Thanks Shillmac and welcome back. I enjoyed your trip reports!

Kwoo, I'm not sure if you saw that MonaManuel answered my questions on another thread. She said that it was about $5-$10 per person cheaper to book the tours in La Fortuna instead of at the hotels. (We're 5 people, so that can add up!) Also, someone else suggested Sunset tours in the Arenal area. Maybe we'll see you at the Arenal Paraiso!
Linda
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:50 AM

Have a great trip, Kwoo, and let us hear all about it when you return!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM

Ivk and kwoo, when are you at Arenal Paraiso? We are there Aug 1 & 2...Joyce
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:32 PM
lvk

Joyce,

We'll miss you, we don't get there until 8/16.

Have a great trip! When are you returning? I'd love to read about your trip before I embark on mine.

Linda
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:23 PM

We arrive at 11pm on a Sun eve (only flight we could get at the time)...so I probably won't be able to post before you leave the next day! We are going to Arenal, Samara, Neta's, MA...can't remember where you are going?? It's pouring out here and I can't imagine being wet all the time and having fun! Everyone seems too...so we're stocking up on bathing suites! Joyce
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

lvk & trevorjoyce,
We will be at Arenal Paraiso from Aug 14 - Aug 17. Can't wait!! I will post my trip report when we return. Can't wait to read yours, also.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Kwoo...maybe you will see Ivk!
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Hey everyone have not finalize plans yet but we have travelled alot with our sons. They are now 23 and 26 just finished law school and MBA so I think this is probably one of our last trips together. so was thinking about costa rica..staying at the playa chochal for a week...and take some trip out from there. maybe deep sea fishing from traminado..and the canaopy i know they would love white water rafting but understand that isnt so close....dont know why i am dwelling on this so but want it special...so any ideas..thank thank thank
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:28 PM
lvk

rjberman, maybe you should start a new post titled "day trips from Playa Conchal". You'll probably get more answers to your questions that way.

Kwoo, we will be at AP from 8/16-8/19, so our paths will probably cross. We'll probably do all our tours early in the am, leaving the afternoons free. We plan on doing the ziplines, hanging bridges, & safari float for sure. (after the 2 reviews of the terrifying horseback rides, we'll probably cross that off our list )We also may visit to the hot springs at Tabacon. Three more weeks to go!