Search

Out of Shape!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of Shape!

Hi-
I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica in a few weeks. I love the outdoors, wildlife, etc. but must admit that I'm quite out of shape. Will I be miserable? Are there relatively easy hikes? I'm fine walking long distances but really steep hills get me every time. I'm also interested in the canopy tours, but am concerned about weight limits.

Will I have to spend my whole trip in a hammock?
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:29 PM

As far as weight limits are concerned most of the operators who use climing gear suggest limits of 250-300 lbs. The gear will hold at least ten times that, but the stress on your knees ankles etc. would require good physical conditioning to prevent injury if for example you hit the end of a zip line too fast.

There are anumber of ways you can experience the canopy without doing a zipline or rappels. One choice is bridges that traverse the treetops like http://www.hangingbridges.com/
Most of these require relatively long walks so you might want to consider one of the Aerial trams like http://www.rainforestram.com/caribean/index.html
where you actually ride in an open air gondola similar to a ski resort chair lift.

As far as walks without climbs, you'll find many, and there are options like a tour of Cano Negro or the canals of Tortuguero where you'll see abundant wildlife form a comfortable seat in a boat.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:24 PM

A few places that come to mind....

The trails are La Selva Biological Station are quite flat and are paved. The grounds at La Selva and the entrance road area are also flat and offer excellent bird watching and a good chance to see some mammals, lizards and lots of insects.
Nearby Selva Verde Lodge has mainly flat trails and great wildlife viewing as well.

The River Trail [it has a new name now I think...] at Carara National Park is flat and offers great chances for monkeys and some good birds.
Nearby Villa Lapas has very good birding right on the grounds.
The Rio Tarcoles bridge near Carara has super crocodile watching opportunities and is a good spot to see an array of birds going to roost from about 5pm to dark [6pm].
The road to the mouth of the Tarcoles on the south side has good open-country birding and the mangrove estuary and Pacific shore provides chances for a lots more interesting things. A boat tour of the estuary will provide plenty more good chances to see an array of birds and other creatures as well as exploring the fascinating mongrove ecosystem.

Do you have a wildlife 'wish list'? Maybe I can offer some suggestions.

You will love Costa Rica.

Jerry
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:28 PM

There is a reason sloths live in Costa Rica: it's a great place to just hang around doing as little as possible as slowly as possible. There is a lot to be said for hammocks, by the way, so don't rule 'em out.

You'll have a great time, no matter what shape your shape is in.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:40 PM

Most of the National Parks have several trails geared toward different physical needs.
M