Costa Rica: Questions for Suzie2 or Others

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My apologies for this post being so lengthy.

I am in the final planning stages for my trip to Costa Rica at the end of February. I need to delete one day's worth of activities due to scheduling problems, and can't decide what to omit. I will be staying at the Real Inter-Continental in Escazu, which has been prepaid and cannot be cancelled.

Day 1: Biking trip down Irazu Volcano
Day 2: Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfalls
Day 3: Arenal Volcano and Tabacon Hot Springs
Day 4: Aerial Tram Tour
Day 5: Canopy Tour (Iguana Park)

I am wondering if I am planning to see too many volcanoes. I am thinking about omitting the trip to Arenal/Tabacon, because of day-trip distance from San Jose and also because the chances of seeing an actual lava flow on the only day (into night) that I am there will be slim. But I don't want to miss seeing what could be the best volcano. I've also considered doing the canopy tour at Tabacon and combining all those activities into one day, even though it will be a long one. However, the canopy tour at Tabacon doesn't seem to be very good when compared to others I have read about. None of the travel agencies that I have spoken with (using them for private tour/transportation) wants to use any other canopy tours, either (Valle Escondido, Arenal), perhaps because they are unsafe. Maybe I should delete the aerial tram? I know the chances for seeing wildlife are not great, but it seems like a unique activity. I'm going to Tamarindo for a few days after San Jose--maybe there is a good, safe canopy tour to do near there? Or would the day trip to Arenal/Tabacon be better from Tamarindo?

Please help!

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Quicker to get to Arenal from San Jose. It would be a shame to miss seeing Arenal but as you mentioned, there are no guarantees to see it even if you go. Even just hearing that boom periodically is a treat though and if it is heard while sitting in hot springs,all the better. No guarantee at any of them for that matter. I still haven't "seen" Poas.
I have been up to Irazu and been able to look down into it. You have been very consistent on wanting to bike. Until I hurt my back I rode 20-30 miles a day so I understand the lure. IMHO, Irazu has the least amount of attraction to me. It was neat being able to see down into it but you do it from a paved parking lot pretty much. Some of the views up there are neat but I really enjoyed the trip up to Poas and the surrounding area better. The parking lot is paved there also but you walk a little ways from it to see the Volcano. Plus, you get to go to La Paz Waterfall Gardens.
The Real is a beautiful place and the mall across the street is really upscale. We had a room on a private keyed floor but the whole place looked like it was beautiful. The gym is a little small.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 10:11 AM

I've read that the Aerial Tram tour was not that exciting. I don't know personally. My trip starts Thursday. What company are you using for the Irazu bike tour?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 02:32 PM

katolb90
It is a tough call on the Aerial Tram.
I have not seen it yet.
My tour guide in early November did not want me to go to the Aerial Tram.
He told me there is a bette place now which just opend up last May 2003.
It is called TURU BA RI and the ride is over the Tarcoles River.
The Tram ride is over 2000 feet long and the height is about 270 feet.
At this place there is also a:
Butterfly Farm
Orchid Gardens
Bamboo Forest
Bromeliads Garden
Country side Farm
Hrose Back Riding
Canopy Tour
A nice Restuarant called "Garabito" which serves up 16 authentic Tico dishes and three Tico desserts.
The meal is buffet ,but you just sit at the table and they bring everything to you.. we took a tablespoonful of all 16 items and our lady guide brought us all three desserts to sample..
I have to stop this , I am getting hungry thinking of what I had there!!!!

The price of the meal is included in your entrance fee.
You will not get to eat 16 Tico dishes in one place too often!!
This place is close to Orotina on the way to Jaco Beach.
About the La Paz Waterfall..
sometimes there are isolated of pictures of waterfalls and you wonder where they are!
Well at La Paz this is the name of the five waterfalls:
1.Templo
2.Magia Blanca
3.Encantada
4.Catarata
5.La Paz...this is the largest and the last one.
There are 9 lovely viewing platforms to see these 5 Falls..so if you are going there,then go down to each platform, the steps going down are very nice and very safe.
You want to be close enough to feel the mist from the waterfall on your face!!
Have a great time.
Percy

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Regarding the Canopy tours. They are widely varied because of their locations and each one is going to be a little different from the other. The Aerial Tram is a well known and respected ride through an area by Braulio Carillo on the Caribbean side. It is a slower ride than the zip line canopy tours so you do see more. For someone like you who sounds like they like a little more activiity to their excursions it might be a little boring unless you are really into the fauna. That side of the country has a real Jurassic Park feel to it and has some of the densest rainforest in CR. You will get to see some of it just riding to Poas and at the La Paz waterfalls.
The area around Tarcoles is interesting in its own right. Hiking in Carara is great. Stopping on the Tarcoles bridge to see the crocs is like a little festival. There are lots of people and even vendors selling stuff. Got into a real beef with some big guy with a big texas cowboy hat on. He was throwing packages of chicken still wrapped in its styrofoam and plastic to the crocs and they were eating the whole thing. Can't be good for them. Don't leave anything in a car visible if you are driving and be sure to lock it. It is a high crime area for theft of items in cars. Hadn't heard about the new canopy tour. Thanks Percy.
That area is different from the Aerial Tram. More chance of seeing Scarlet Macaws for one thing. The rainforest there isn't quite as thick and lush as you would see on the Caribbean side. On the bright side of that is that it means there will be less chance of being rained out.
We stayed in a hotel right there in Feb. (Villas Lapas) but were more into hiking in Carara than anything else. Sounds like lunch was a Lizano moment Percy LOL! I am actually missing Costa Rica food! It only took 12yrs. Still can't handle too many of those beans.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 06:40 PM

Sorry to steal time on your post fluffnfold, but Percy how much time does it take to leisurely visit the LaPaz waterfalls? Not counting lunch or the other attractions at LaPaz, just the 5 falls.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:12 PM

To Suzie2:
TURU BA RI is not a canopy tour...you ride this cable car over the Tarcole River.. it was 91F when I was there and it was hot in the cable car but very nice.
I would not have known anything about it , had my tour guide not mentioned it.
And yes I did see the crocs at the Tarcoles River bridge..and those local people selling their wares.
As usual Suzie you explain everything so well.
TO KATALB90:
Well, the time to see all five waterfalls can be done in an hour, but that means you pay at the gate..then by pass everything else , like the butterfly garden,hummingbird garden ect. and then head straight for the Falls.
It is very lush there and there are vines hanging down.
I had a picture taken of myself swing on a vine like Tarzan...no I was not drunk.
Have a great time
Percy
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 08:18 PM

The cable car over the Tarcoles sounds kind of neat. We had a private driver/guide at that time too and he didn't mention anything. Will have to ask him about it when I see him again in about 3 weeks.
Good to hear about new things. May have to check some of them out when I am solo.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:12 AM

There is a website on TURU BA-RI: http://www.turubari.com/tropicalgarden.htm.

Looks like they have both aerial tram and canopy tour as well as other activities.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 09:30 AM

To fluffnfold:
The Iguana Park Canopy is closed, but at Turu ba ri you can have it. this park has this (Canopy), the Tram, horse back ride, and so on.