Iguazu as a day trip from BA?

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iguazu as a day trip from BA?

Tried some searches from BA to Iguazu and it came to like 1600 pesos on Aerolineas for an early morning and then evening return.

On LAN, I believe it was 610 pesos round trip but they displayed the price with dollar signs while at the bottom saying "valores in pesos argentinos"?

If that's the case, it's a big difference, although Aerolineas seems to have more frequent flights during the day so the 1-day trip is viable but with LAN, you would likely have to stay over.

So is Iguazu worth $500-600 for flights and lodging? Considering my week apartment rental in BA is under $250?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM

It may help to use the services of a local guide. I did Iguazu as a day trip from BA with the help of Cintia from WOW!Argentina. Not sure of the prices as it was part of a bigger package.

From what I've been reading the local agents are usually able to get better prices.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:34 AM

I think your fares are out of date unless you are an AR citizen.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Yeah I think both sites prompted you to choose country of residence and I picked Argentina.

If I tried to book it with a credit card, I probably would have been tripped up by the address I would have had to provide.

bytargentina.com has packages of 3 days/2 nights with airfare for $450 and $750, the second one for stays at the Hilton. Hmm, the scenery has to be something else to incur those costs for a couple of days trip.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 07:01 PM

Just returned from Argentina including a flight to/from BA and two nights at the Sheraton Iguazu. The area around the falls is beautiful, and it would be a really rushed trip, if not impossible, to see it all in a day trip. I used a BA travel agent to make the arrangements which included other trips so don't know the cost, but enjoyed the falls (even with low water volume) and the area. There is a lot of walking on the various circuits to the falls, but that was part of the enjoyment of the area. If you include a river excursion, it would be best to allow two days.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

I got the URL of an agency in Argentina.

www.orismos.com.ar

Anyone familiar with it?

They do list some 4-day packages to Iguazu but that seems like overkill.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 01:45 PM

I used Silvia Moore, a BA travel agent, to book the Iguazu flights and hotel as well as other trips and hotels, and she was excellent. If you are interested in having her give you a quote, she can be reached at [email protected] It seems the TAs get lower prices for flights, hotels, and tours than can be booked on your own. She emailed the Aerolineas boarding passes to the hotel which meant no lines at the airpot by using the web check in compared to long lines as the regular check in.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:49 AM

Aerolineas has recently initiated a round of very hefty fare hikes for non-residents who fly into Argentina on any airline other than Aerolineas. Many of the old rules for how to save money by working with a local agent may evaporate as well.

The $1600 peso fare is about the amount I have been quoted using an Argentine travel agent. I have always saved money by working through a local agent but working with a local may not save you any money in the present market.

About the Lan quote and the confusion re: peso/dollar confusion
The $ sign is routinely used for pesos. Dollars are usually quoted as U$ or USD.

Iguazu Falls is a beautiful site.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:53 AM

I just tried the Lan site and received a price quote of US$350 round trip. The site also showed a lower rate (by 50dollars) that was not available for the dates I selected. So it appears a fare of US$300 (about 900 pesos) can still be purchased.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Orismos has not responded.

Maybe I will try emailing Collegemom's recommendation.

LAN doesn't seem to have as many flights per day as Aerolineas so it's not as flexible. But flexibility isn't worth the price difference.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:46 PM

LAN
Buenos Aires - Iguazu
around 9 am flight
Iguazu - Buenos Aires
14:05

return ticket tourist rate.
lowest rate if available is
$ 720 argentinos.
-------
A.A. has a much higher rate
unless you use the company for your incoming flight.
--------
good luck

regards,
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

This is the quote I got:

AIR TICKET ROUND TRIP: USD 468 TAX INCLUDED

IN CASE YOU ARRIVE TO ARGENTINA BY AEROLINEAS ARGENTINAS, THERE ARE
BETTER FARES FOR FOREIGNERS: USD 347 TAX INCLUDED

HOTEL SAINT GERGE 3*:
USD 87 X DOUBLE ROOM PER NIGHT WITH TAX AND BREAKFAST
USD 74 X SINGLE ROOM PER NIGHT WITH TAX AND BREAKFAST

TRASNFER IN/OUT + EXCURSIONS ARGENTINE AND BRAZILIAN FALLS
USD 40 PER PERSON WITH guide in spanish.
USD 60 PER PERSON WITH bilingual guide.

So over $600 with an AA fare for an overnight trip.

Looks like with a LAN fare, it would be about $400.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 04:53 PM

just a piece of advice.
Though LAN offers lower prices than AA,
LAN is changing the flight times quite frecuently now. For people who go there for a day that is really a big problem. When the flight is postponed 3 hours, you have very short time to visit the falls on the first day. On the second the last flight is at 14:30 which doesnt give you much time at the falls either. There are only 2 flights a day and too many delays and changes in the last weeks.
This is bad for the people who stay in Puerto Iguazu, for the ones who can pay the Sheraton the delay is not that serious.
The least expensive possibility if tourists dont want to pay the AA rate is to go for 2 nights by LAN. That will guarantee at least that they will have more than enough time to visit the falls and enjoy them.

The LAN rate 610 is Pesos Argentinos for locals and for tourist it is 712 Pesos Argentinos.

I know it is a problem of limited time in Argentina what makes people stay one night. If LAN times were kept, it would really be excellent but that is not the case unfortunately.

good luck
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:48 PM

Our trip from BsAs to Puerto Iguazu was for two nights and we flew LAN, which was fortunate at the time because Aerolineas Argentinas was on strike. We were very impressed with LAN in every respect. We stayed at Hotel St. George which I reviewed on Trip Advisor. Lots of bad reviews, but we thought it was okay for two nights.

Personally I wouldn't want to go for a day trip. It's too far from BsAs and too beautiful not to enjoy leisurely. It's an experience my husband and I will never forget. If you possibly can at least stay overnight.

I have a long file I compiled when planning our trip last year. If you're interested, e-mail me and I'll send it to you.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 04:52 AM

I would also stay at least one night in Iguazu, however if you are able to get the right flights it might be done.,
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 02:37 PM

I agree with Giovanna above. Definitely stay at least one night... two if you can manage it. I also stayed in the Hotel St George and found it to be a great choice. The rooms are not fancy, but clean and comfortable. Lovely pool, good restaurant, and a great price. It's just steps from the bus station so it's a very convenient location... I thought it was a very good value.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Hello,
would like some help please.
I would like to go to iguazu falls over-night. We arrive at the international airport at 8:30am. The best price on flight I found is on LAN. How much time do I need from International Airport (including customes..etc.) To domestic airport? The flight is at 11:40 am.
Is this cutting it too close? (this is for Jan 10,2007
Thank You
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:14 PM

It is very unlikely you will get through customs and transfer to the domestic airport in time for the 11:30 flight. You would be less stresseed to enjoy BsAs the day of arrival and then fly to Iguazu the following day. Our Aug. flight to BsAs was one day late due to mechanical problems. Fortuantely we had planned an extra day in BsAs before flying to Iguazu so the delay didn't affect other flights. Aerolineas and Lan often change their schedules so I would suggest more time between flights rather than less.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Well I had decided I didn't want to spend the money but had second thoughts.

So I got quoted $515 total for a 2-night trip, including a visit to the Brazilian side.

Problem is, I don't want to take 3 days out of my 5-6 day trip to BA, my first. Also, it's probably too late to get the visa needed to enter Brazil, although express services looks like you could do it if you pay through the nose for fees and Fed Ex.

I didn't realize Brazil required visas from US citizens.

Would it be worth going just to see the Argentine side?
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 04:12 PM

The falls were very worthwhile from just the Argentina side. You can walk the upper or lower catwalks to view and hear the water. As explained to me the view is the full U shape from the Brazilian side, but you can certainly enjoy the views without the full view. The views, sounds, vegetation, birds, and animals are a wonderful memory!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -