Hurricane Damage/PDC & Cancun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please ANYONE who can tell us about the damage and repairs in sight for Playa Del Carmen and Cancun??? For those of us who have either booked trips or are thinking of booking for these areas in the next few months, we know your first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and keep responding, Please
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:13 PM
sha

We've been following the situation rather closely. It appears that Cancun should be near normal and Playa del Carmen not far behind. It's south of Playa that sustained more damage and the government is right on top of the situation. Even the worst hit areas will be up and running in several weeks. They can't afford to wait for repairs.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 07:35 AM

There is a lot of information offered on various resorts and their statuses on http://www.playadelcarmeninfo.com/pl...splay.php?f=19

Good luck!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 07:53 PM

I was in Cancun, specifically at the Royal Sands, from July 14th through the 23rd, consequently through Emily. Other than sand in the pools, the Royal Sands suffered no damage nor required any evacuation. From what I could see, there was very little damage in all of Cancun. A few downed trees and signs, that is all. By Tuesday, all were swimming in the Caribbean again, and by Wednesday, in the sparkling, clean pools. From what I understand, south of PdC suffered the most damage, but as previously stated, should be back to normal very soon. Went horseback riding in PdC on Wednesday after Emily and the beach was beautiful and clean. I don't have any information regarding any specific resort in the PdC area.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Dee3, How did they Royals do under the circumstances? I have been going to Club International for a few years now and think the staff are great. Did they handle the situation well? I was very impressed with the letter on the website with updates.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:54 PM

As a member, I was most pleased with how the Royals handled the Hurricane Emily situation. Preparations started on Saturday with the boarding up of windows, removal of the poolside pole lamps and furniture, the restaurant fans and the like. The crowded Sunday orientation meeting was very informative (exclusively spoke of Emily) and the front desk staff sent information bulletins via phone on a regular basis. Management, staff, and security were on duty all night during the storm. Monday it was rainy and windy so clean up didn't really start until sunrise on Tuesday where all staff worked night and day to remove the sand from the pool areas. We swam in the Caribbean on Tuesday and in the pools on Wednesday. Planned activities were cancelled, but all the restaurants, stores, and services remained open with the exception of a few closings on Monday. Overall, the staff had the safety and comfort of the members and guests as first priority, many leaving their own homes and families to remain at the Royals. Indeed, the staff is exceptional; they are extremely hard working and very loyal. They were sincerely appreciated by all who weathered the storm in safety and comfort.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:07 PM

http://www.si-mexico.com/hotel_status.htm

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:42 AM
jw2

Dee3 - I have heard two descriptions of the beach conditions at Royal Sands post Emily - one staff member (who was in Ciudad Cancun and hadn't been down to the property) said they had lost most of the beach, and another (not sure if he was on site or not) said since the prevailing winds were from the south, they had actually gained sand. What's the real "scoop?"

We will be at the Ronay next week - good to knw everyone on the staff came out OK!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM

jw2: It was my impression pre-Emily that the beach in front of the Royal Sands appeared narrower (but certainly more than ample) than what I had remembered in previous years. Post-Emily, the width of the beach appeared the same as before the hurricane to me, however, the sand a bit coarser with some shell fragments and the water, some seaweed. Probably temporary conditions as result of the churning of the ocean waters and floor during the hurricane.