How to do Nicaragua and CR in 1 wk?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling solo, leaving Guatemala City May 4, at the end of a month in Mexico, Belize, Guatemala & Honduras. I have only 1 more week and would like to see a bit of Nicaragua and Costa Rica. I have my heart set on Granada so want to get there directly from Managua airport. My flight gets in at 9:30am. Best to arrange private taxi or is there a shuttle/bus?
I planned 1 night at Casa San Francisco then I have 2 choices - I can go to San Juan Del Sur for 2 nights or go (like 5am!) back to Managua and fly to San Jose. Is it worth going to SJDS for 2 days? I don't surf but wouldn't mind seeing the best beach if nearby. Any recommendations for how to get from Granada to SJDS? I don't want to rent a car. My LP guide says there are express (2 hrs) buses but latest is 7am and I hate missing breakfast If I take a regular bus, how long does it take?
Once in CR, I want to go to Arenal/Tabacon hot springs. Given limited time, would it work 1 day Granada, 2 days SJDS, 3 days CR? I am not one for laying around - any more than 3 days in one place and I go crazy.
Also, I want to spend at least one night on the town in either Managua or San Jose. Which is better? I want to salsa with the locals (not just the Hilton bar or an Irish pub) so I was thinking Quetzal in Managua or Salsa 54, El Tobogan or Mexico Bar in San Jose.
Would appreciate your input, especially as to the best way to get around efficiently. I don't need creature comforts.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Granada is amazing! We took a local bus from Managua to Granada by just going to the local station--they leave regularly, no real schedule. An experience in itself! But I know our hotel in Granada (Terrasol) can arrange for shuttles fairly inexpensively from the airport, which is nice because you can go directly instead of going in to Managua first. I'm sure many hotels in Granada can arrange this. It's also not that sad to miss Managua--I would spend that extra night in San Jose instead.

In Costa Rica, I definitely recommend staying at the Arenal Observatory Lodge at the volcano. It's the only place on the lava side, so you can actually watch the flow at night from your room or the hot tub instead of arranging a night tour. It's a converted scientific observatory, so pretty basic, but the location and view is amaaazing and the price is right!

For more info/photos from these trips:

http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot....nicaragua.html

http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot....osta-rica.html
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Granada, San Juan del Sur, Arenal and San Jose is a lot to pack into one week. Come to think of it, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica is a lot to pack into about five weeks. I'd seriously consider cutting back on something if it were me.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Casa San Francisco can arrange a ride from the airport for you, think it was about $25. I would personally just stay and enjoy Granada and the surrounding areas, such as the isletas, Mombacho volcano & Masaya volcano.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

hi KatrinaB, Jeff and tully, thanks for your help. Katrina, nice blogs and pics! Very sophisticated.
You're right, Jeff, it would be a lot to pack in, but I have been to Mexico before and this time am only going for Easter (Semana Santa) in Merida and just Copan Ruinas in Honduras en route to Antigua. I took two years off before grad school and discovered in my travels (49 of the 223 countries of the world, 7 continents, so Katrina that's 22%, ) what I like and don't like. I research a trip for a year and have a pretty good idea of what I will enjoy. I rarely return to the same place (London UK being an exception because of friends and because it never fails to excite me with something new, and Florida because of family). I enjoy hearing about other people's experiences and what they liked that's not in the guidebooks, and like to meet locals so names of guides or hosts are especially appreciated. I gather you are a long time Tico, lucky you to have found enjoyment in what I understand is a beautiful place. Thx!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:51 AM

wow, liltravlr! 22%!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Maybe cut down your time in CR and "do" Panama while you're at it. You'll be at 25% in no time!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

haha, Kinkazote, actually, after adding the 6 new countries in CA (I'll be transiting thru El Salvador) I'll only be at 24.66%...
Truth is, I lost my fiance to cancer (he was only 30) and it made me realize that life is short. There are just so many beautiful countries (I have a 2-pg list of things I want to see, from the new LP book "Best in Travel 2009), that it's my life's dream to see them all. I figure I have another 40-50 yrs, as my mom is 81 and recently went to Japan, Israel, Jordan and all over Europe with my brothers and me. I'll save the Panama Canal for a cruise someday when I can "hit" lots of Caribbean states. I know I can't possibly see everything in a country (I've lived in Canada 40 yrs and haven't seen all of it!) but if I get a taste, then when I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeally old, I'll start going back to the ones I liked!
I'll let you know when I reach 100%...
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your fiance, liltravlr. And good for your mom to still be traveling at age 81.

I used to be h*ll-bent on my country totals. My goal was always not to let my age exceed the number of countries I've visited. I'm at 71 -- countries, not years -- so I still am way, way ahead of the game.

I'm finding, though, that I enjoy staying put longer and savoring a place more these days. The urge to move on isn't as strong as it used to be. Plus, work takes me back to the same places again and again. I now have five trips to Machu Picchu under my belt. The last four were work related, and no doubt there will be more in the future. Now, I could say that every trip to MP means a missed opportunity to see a new place, but I am being paid to go there, and I do discover new things each time I go.

That's the nice thing about travel, however: there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do it. With that as a qualification, I still say that Granada, SJDS, Arenal and San Jose is packing too much into one week though.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 08:26 PM

What airlines fly between CR and Nicargua? Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 01:22 PM

www.ticabus.com what I did hop on and off up to Granada.

www.hotelcolonialgranada.com my fav...