Notices

How much time in Turrialba?

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much time in Turrialba?

Greetings!
For our 2nd CR trip we are planning Carib side (Banana Azul of course!) then raft Pacuare, tour in Turrialba region, then fly to Osa, returning to BdC. This trip only have 9 nites, but have car/driver to help keep us moving efficiently!

Have reserved 4 nights at BdC, and flt back to SJ, so that leaves 5 prior nights to squeeze it all it, obviously not enough, but...

Thoughts..
Arrive 2pm Jan 26 SJ, drive to PV.
Jan 26,27,28 nights in PV (2 full days)
Jan 29,30 nights in Turrialba
(1 raft day, 1 day Tapanti Nat'l Park)
Jan 31 a.m visit Amigos de los Aves, fly PJ, night at BdC
Feb 1,2,3,at BdC (3+ full days)
Feb 4 fly a.m. PJ to SJ to home

Question: Should I delete one night at BdC (a sin, I know!), since we have been there before, and add one to Turrialba to see more of that uncrowded area: really wanted to see Volcan Irazu. Guayaba Monument?

FYI: We are family with teens 15&16 and 30yr old,too (don't ask!). Last trip, 2 teens and 'rents did 14 days incl Arenal(spectacular!)canopy zipline, Ecotermales (lovely, uncrowded, not commercial), Poas, La Paz, surfing in Dominical, 4 days BdC. All awesome, especially driver, Oscar. This time we bring adult daughter, not recreating whole trip, but maybe she should see Irazu since she misses Arenal? You can tell we mostly avoid busier spots like MA, etc..

Thanks all!
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 09:15 AM

The drive to PV is about 4 hrs or more. If you are driving yourself you may need to prepare for driving in some dark. The coast road has areas of many potholes so drive aware.

Myself I wouldn't add to Turrialba.
Seems like you have alot of things planned already. Pura Vida!
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 09:43 AM

I agree with earthtraveler. I think the problem is trying to squeeze 3 very nice locations into 9 nights, and the locations being so distant one from the other. AND the locations each holding quite a bit of nearby attractions!

Turrialba area offers access to Tapanti, but also Guayabo National Monument area, Orosi Valley, Cachi Dam, Ujarras and the old church ruins, CATIE, which is a great place to visit (tropical gardens, excellent for birding), Lankester Gardens (orchids), Volcanes Irazu and Turrialba, Cartago, etc. No way can you do all that, and of course you know that.

My opinion on the Osa is that it costs way too much to get down there for just 2-3 nights. I'd not go for less than 4 (we did 3 the first time). Especially at Bosque del Cabo.

Guess I'm saying exactly what ET said to you. Limit your Turrialba time to the rafting trip and get on down to BdC! I think the Caribbean side is worth 3 nights also, so don't cut that part short. On another trip, spend a couple of days near Turrialba without the rafting--just to absorb the area.

Good luck with the planning; I know how tough it is to make these decisions!
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 09:54 AM

4explort -- I'm happy you decided to try Banana Azul! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! Which room are you going for? Please report back.

Did you know you can actually raft TO Banana Azul? Well, not literally, but you can raft the river from San Jose to as close as you can get for $95/pp.

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM

P.S. Make sure you take the kids to the Sloth Rescue Center near Cahuita. It was really special. There were lots of babies there...sooooo cute!

I just realized you're taking kids...so that must mean you have the Dolphin room? I think that's the one with the bunk beds.