Arenal,Turrialba,Bosque del Cabo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I will do this 3 destinations,but I don't know if we shoul go first to Arenal or Turrialba? We have 2 weeks.Second week we have reservation at Casa Blanca at Bosque.Casa Blanca is already book for the first week at June.
So the 1st week on Saturday we will arrive morning at San Jose,rent a car for 2 weeks and drive first to Arenal? Or Turrialba where we will probably stay at Casa Turrire and do white water rafting
My question is -how log is the drive from Arenal to Bosque or is it better drive from Turrialba to Bosque.We may break the drive somewhere around Cerro muerte and next day to continue to Osa.Also does somebody have recomendation for nice hotel to break the drive down to Osa?
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Are you sure you want to drive to Bosque del Cabo? That would be a really long drive over some not so great roads. Just going from Puerto Jimenez to BdC, we had trees across the road from construction, large construction equipment, cattle, and small rivers to drive over. I think it would save you a lot of time if you flew Sansa or NatureAir. And I don't think you would use a car much at BdC since there's so much to do on the property itself and it's fairly isolated. Are you planning on using the car once you get to BdC?
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

I would like to drive because I want to feel authentic Costa Rica and I would like to drive through mountains,which we would not be able to see otherwise.We also like the freedom of driving around Bosque del Cabo,Puerto Jimenez.
If drive will be realy horrible ,than on the way back we would drop the car at PJ and fly Sansa back to SJ
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Ah, so you are up for the adventure of driving. We didn't have that much time, but I see you have two weeks for your adventure. shillmac may be able to provide you with some good info. Would love to hear how it went when you get back.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 02:19 PM

We like the adventure of driving as well. Here's what I'd suggest:

Arenal first

Turrialba (will take about 4.5 - 5 hours from Arenal, depending on how well you "get through" San Jose and what time of day you have to navigate through there).

After your time in Turrialba, drive to Cartago (naturally on your route back to San Jose), then cut south on the Interamerican (#2) to San Isidro. Drive over to Dominical (on the Pacific coast south of Manuel Antonio) to spend the night. This drive will take you about 4-5 hours--do it early in the day. It's a good spot for overnighting as you suggested.

From there on to the Osa and BdC is about 4 hours, part of the road is pretty good.

Another thought, if you can spare an extra day:

While you are in the Turrialba area, it would be a shame not to enjoy an extra night and see some beautiful sights--there is a LOT to see and do here such as CATIE (tropical plant research center, 2 hours and just outside Turrialba); Orosi Valley and the old church ruins at Ujarras (one of my favorites); Lankester Orchid Gardens; to name a few. . .

This might involve 3 nights at Casa Turire, though. And then you might NOT want to do an overnight en route to the Osa, but just hit the road and get yourselves there (about 8 hours from Turrialba, guessing).

Will you be able to drive straight to Arenal upon arrival or will you need to spend the first night near the airport? You can make it up there if you are arriving no later than 1:30 or 2:00 p.m. . . . .

It SOUNDS like you have enough time to do 3 nights Arenal, 3 nights Casa Turire (check on the green season package, it's a good value), one night Dominical, 7 nights BdC.

Anyway, these are a few options. There are others should you be intereted! Chew on these first!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac,this is good navigation.Where at Dominical would you recommend to spend a night?