Costa Rica experts. .

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica experts. .

I would like to take my husband for an amazing trip to Costa Rica for his 40th birthday. We plan to go in April, and would like luxury service and beautiful views right outside our room. I really prefer somewhere where the bugs and scorpions don't want to visit me at night.

If money were no object, what part would you visit, and where would you stay?
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 11:52 AM

Florblanca, Four Seasons, Rancho Pacifico, Peace Lodge, Xandari, Punta Islita etc

If money were no object, I would still stay at the same place I always do though, at Bosque del Cabo, but they do have the occaisonal bug and I'm sure a scorpion here & there.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear frequent:

I haven't been to CR yet, but Punta Islita looks great as does Playa Conchal:

http://www.paradisusplayaconchal.travel/

Good luck.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Our favorite spots are the Peace Lodge, Lost Iguana in Arenal, and Bosque del Cabo in the Osa. The Peace Lodge is super indulgent with 5 beautiful waterfalls on the property, jacuzzi tubs, waterfall showers, etc. The Lost Iguana has a beautiful view of an active volcano, and the area offers the Cano Negro wildlife tour, ziplines, and natural hot springs like Tabacon. Bosque del Cabo that tully mentioned is amazing - wonderful howlers, capuchins, sloths, scarlet macaws, and toucans right outside your cabin, as well as delicious food and great hikes and activities - but as she mentioned, you might get a bug in your room; it's completely worth it though.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:03 PM

For the $$, I think you can do better than Paradisus Playa Conchal--especially if there is no limit!

For what you have described, I think Flor Blanca in Malpais might best fit the bill. 3-4 nights here would suffice, I think. It would couple very nicely with Peace Lodge, which Tully mentioned.

Do you plan to be active at all? Do you mind NOT being right on the beach, but having an amazing view of the water far below? Want to see lots of wildlife, socialize a bit, have a more "atypical" experience? Head for Bosque del Cabo! There are fewer bugs in April (dry season) than at other times of the year. I think you'll be surprised. AND I think you'll have a more interesting story to tell when you return!

You can combine Peace Lodge with Bosque del Cabo also. 2 nights at Peace Lodge, 4-5 nights BdC.

Good luck with your choice--there is a LOT to choose from!

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM

shillmac, have you stayed at Flor Blanca? Looks pretty swanky. I felt like I had a vacation just looking at their website.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 08:04 PM

No, it was running about $250 when we were there the first time and stayed at Tropico Latino. We went over and looked around. Nice property. Can't believe the prices now--it and Casa Chameleon. Almost double that. Jiminy! We did hear from several people that their meals were very good. And they should be.

A place you DON'T hear much about anymore (that used to get good reviews on Fodor's) is Milarepa--close to Flor Blanca. And there used to be a couple of places at Tambor (not Barcelo Playa Tambor) that got good reviews--not mentioned these days. Makes me wonder about them and what happened. Tambor Tropical was one--and another one with a similar name.

The people who own Flor Blanca also own that bed and breakfast in Tamarindo, Sueno del Mar. It has always gotten good reviews as well. I used to want to stay there, but don't know that we'll ever overnight in Tamarindo again.

A friend in California e-mailed me today about the letter to the editor in today's AM Costa Rica concerning the presence of dangerous bacteria in the water at Playa Tamarindo--sewage runoff. Not sure what is fact and what is fiction, but the Tamarindo Diria (hotel) was mentioned as a culprit. Pretty sure there are others. I don't know what happened to "Guanacaste" who used to post so regularly, but he often mentioned contaminated water at Playa Flamingo. I guess he was referring to the same sort of "issue", no pun intended.

Jeff, what do you know about this?
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 08:18 PM

http://206.130.119.208/article.php?id=2&at=1823

Here is a recent article in The Beach Times.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:35 AM

As soon as I have time, I am going to post my Rancho Pacifico report from our trip last week. I'll say briefly that Peace Lodge was such a great suggestion from this forum- just lovely, in so many ways. It's also closer to some other places you might want to go.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Looking forward to hearing about Rancho Pacifico!