San Jose to Mal Pais - 2:32 arrival travel options

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 08:46 AM
surfersmom

San Jose to Mal Pais - 2:32 arrival travel options

We arrive at 2:32pm in San Jose .. am concerned about how to get to Mal Pais. Don't want to stay overnight in San Jose .. want to get going and would like to make Mal Pais.
Option 1 is taking the LAST flight to Tambor with Sansa, but it is at 4:19 and afraid if my flight is delayed and with immigration, there is a possibility of not making the flight (and paying for it). I would only have 1hr 47mins. My daughter doesn't like the idea of a little 12 seater and the 25lb max.
Option 2 is renting a car, which could be expensive,really don't like the idea of driving those curvy roads out of San Jose, not sure what the roads would be like on the Pennisula once off the ferry heading to Mal Pais. Also means that I would have to keep the car for 10 days till I return.
Option 3 finding a bus that would take us all the way ... which ones go there? Do you take a second bus after getting off the ferry? Wonder if I could still make a bus that would get there and make the ferry before it closes for the day ... this would be January 8th.

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the short answer is: You can't do this all in one afternoon, really only half an afternoon. Assuming your flight arrives on time, it will still likely be 3:30 by the time you go through passport control, collect your luggage and go through customs. Driving would be out of the question for me if I had to start out that late in the day. The last stretch from Tambor to Malpais is rough enough during the day. I wouldn't consider it at night.

To get a public bus out there, you'd need to head into San Jose proper. That's another half-hour. I don't know the bus schedule, but since it takes about six hours to get to Malpais, I can't believe you'll be able to catch the last bus so late in the day.

I'd get a good night's sleep and start out fresh, very early the next morning. It's a long trip.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM

To add a little more perspective, it gets dark here about 5:30.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 12:44 PM
surfersmom

Would it be worth even getting to Punterenas or somewhere enroute?

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM

I agree with Jeff...we usually rent a car but for our trip to Mal Pais we decided to take a shuttle transfer suggested by our hotel. Our flight arrived into San Jose much earlier than yours but even with that, it's a very long drive. I was exhausted with a bad headache from all of the winding bumpy roads when we finally arrived at the hotel. I would suggest staying overnight in San Jose as well and getting a fresh start in the morning. The return drive didn't seem half as long & we were able to enjoy most of it because we had a good nights rest & started early at 8am. I work for a travel wholesaler & the ground operator we use in CR won't even attempt a transfer for our pax arriving after 2pm. If you were to take a shuttle transfer and still wanted to rent a car for a few days while in Mal Pais there is a Budget office right in town.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with the other posters. Just wanted to add that we thought it was VERY helpful having our own vehicle while at Malpais. We drove over to Montezuma at least twice and up and down the strung out Malpais/Ste. Teresa area.

There isn't much on the way. Even Puntarenas is too far (my opinion) for that time of day. Sometimes it takes a couple of hours to get there, and it isn't a great place to overnight. I wouldn't care to, anyway.

Driving yourselves the next day, gee, you'll give up most of the day getting there. I think I'd consider an early a.m. Sansa flight. Rent a car once you're on the peninsula. Not sure where or how, but think you should look into that option. Perhaps in Cobano, the "business hub" on the southern Nicoya, between Tambor and Malpais.