Hotels in Monteverde

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Monteverde

My wife and I are planning to spend 2 nights in Monteverde without a car. We are trying to decide whether to stay at the Trapp Family Lodge or the Monteverde Lodge & Gardens. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:30 PM

I recommend Fonda Vela. It's a great place.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 04:40 PM

I avoid the Trapp Lodge only because some locals told me that they run their gray water (sewage) into the main road and pollute the place. It's upsetting to the locals but they don't fix it. Sure enough, when you walk by the lodge, you can smell it. This is accurate as of one year ago. I stayed at Fonda Vela and really liked it a lot.

Sandy
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 04:49 AM

I agree with Sandy, avoid the Trapp Family Lodge. They are not relateed to the Trapp Family and this place doesn't come close to the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont. When we asked they told they are cousin' cousin' third cousin. Something like that. Anyway, we made a mistake staying there only because they are closest accommodation to the rainforest. They are not that close. It was a new lodge at that time but we had the worst experience. I can write a novel about what was wrong with this place but we love Costa Rica and rather focus on positive things. After that stay we do more research before booking our accommodations anywhere. The host was the most unhelpful we met anywhere on our travels around the world. On the other hand, there was a group of birdwatchers and they seemed happy but they stayed only one night, were busy with their own activities, then left next day. We never asked them what they thought about a food but to us it was not aceptable.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 06:09 PM

The costs of taxis all along the road of Monteverde costs just about the same. Your hotel, whichever you choose, will have taxi drivers that they will call for you. Let them. Once you have used that driver, ask for his cell phone number and use him again. The price will become lower with each use (within reason). This is the way it is done in Costa Rica everywhere. You become a taxista's "client" (pronounced "CLEE - unt" is Costa Rican English - ha ha), and he will treat you well and always be there when you call.

All that being said, I like this hotel at Monteverde:

http://www.lacolinalodge.com/

Lair
[email protected]