Hotel near Sofitel Rio

Mar 14th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Hotel near Sofitel Rio

I saw in pictures hotel near Sofitel, at the left side of it, (if you look from the ocean). If you know the name and details please help me.
Thanks
Mar 14th, 2005, 05:22 AM

Yes the closest hotel to the Sofitel on the left side if you are facing the ocean is the Orla hotel. This is a new hotel, very narrow, ocean front all new inside but built on the bones of an older hotel. About $100 a day and I would say a good choice.
Mar 14th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Orla is from the right side of the Sofitel, I meant the other side, thanks anyway
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Well the Sofitel is the first hotel on Copacabana, there is no hotel to the left of it since it is on the corner at the beginning of Copacabana. But there is one around the corner on the side street. Shouldn't be too hard to find, I was there just 2 weeks ago and saw the hotel, I beieve it starts withe the name Copacabana but I don't remember the second part of it. Just look on a map and find out what the name of that street is then find a hotel that starts with Copacabana with that street name. Look at www.ipanema.com they have good maps and might even have the hotel listed.
Mar 14th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

At http://www.brazil4you.com/pontur/?CodAtr=3901 clear picture of this hotel.
Is the name of the hotel that you saw is "Copacabana Praia"?
Mar 14th, 2005, 10:04 AM

Yes I see what you mean but in all the times I have been on that corner I never noticed a hotel there, it probably is an apartment building. And yes I do believe that it was the Copacabana Praia that I was refering to next to the Sofitel and it looked pretty nice and new from the outside.
Mar 14th, 2005, 11:16 AM

http://www.ipanema.com/rio/hotels/e/hotcopa.htm check out this map, doesn't appear to be anything there, they have most hotels in the area and nothing is there.
Mar 14th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I think that we'll choose the hotel whan we get there,
thanks
Apr 3rd, 2005, 01:20 PM

Ok, I just watched some old footage of a Pan American jet going over this spot and it can be seen more clearly what that building is. It is actually the side view of buildings that the front of them face the ocean in Arpoador. These are not hotels, they are the side views of other buildings, its an optical illusion from your picture. Go and see for yourself when you get there but don't count on staying there.
Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:43 PM

We just got back from Rio (had a wonderful time - I'll post the trip report soon) and I noticed this posting. We stayed at the Orla Copacabana (next block over from the Sofitel) and I would recommend it to ANYONE! The location was superb (right on Copacabana Beach, great sunset views from the roof, and within a 5-10 minute walk of Ipanema Beach). It was reasonable, clean, comfortable, and has a great breakfast. The restaurant right next to the Sofitel (can't remember the name, but it was right on the corner - little place) was wonderful. Had a great feijoada (sp?) there Saturday lunch.