Search

Hotel Mine - Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Mine - Buenos Aires

Anyone familiar with this new boutique hotel in Palermo Soho? We have a reservation at the BoBo, but I'm considering trying Hotel Mine.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 01:46 AM

I'm a local, so I don't stay in hotels, but the BoBo gets pretty good reviews (see link), so I see no reason to change to a new place which may or may not be as good.

http://tinyurl.com/5scsa

Have a great time in our town.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks avrooster. I'm quite familiar with TripAdvisor and the stellar reviews the BoBo receives - thus the reason for my booking. Mine looks very nice and is off to a good start on TripAdvisor with four positive reviews. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with Mine yet. Thanks again.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 07:31 AM

I'm well known for my skepticism with respect to glowing comments from one-time posters about a particular place.

So, while those four great reviews the Mine Hotel has on TA could well be legit, I would be more inclined to trust them if the reviewers had been more active in the past.

Have a great time in our town.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM

mjz,
I have never heard of the Hotel Mine.
I believe dr dawggy made a comment about it on TA.

I think I would stick to a tried and true winner , unless you just enjoy trying out new places..I am kind of a wimp when it comes to that
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we're sticking with the BoBo. I'll have to venture by Mine...possibly stop in for a drink.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

By the way, is it me, or does Buenos Aires (especially Palermo and San Telmo) have an abundance of really cool looking boutique hotels/b&bs?

We travel a lot and don't get too excited about vacations anymore, but this one has us totally hyped.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 06:33 AM

A new one pops up every day. LOL!!

Of course, they can't ALL be good, so it seems better to stick, for the time being, at least, with those who have obtained a good reputation.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM

avrooster,

I just booked the BoBo today for a trip in May (very excited). Any tips for two single 30s women in BA for the first time?

Would love an insider's tip on some hip bars and one MUST DO while there...THANKS!! Deppie
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 02:10 AM

Great, Deppie!

You two will have a wonderful time in BA.

I don't drink and I'm twice your age, so I'm not exactly the right person to pop this question to. LOL!!

We'll see if someone else has the answers to your questions, or maybe you could do a little research on
http://tinyurl.com/nw9f4
where the subject has been covered extensively.

You are already staying in the right area of town, which should help, for that purpose.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 05:19 AM

You are going to love Buenos Aires, I just got back and wished I stayed longer! I particularly enjoyed Puerto Madero at night, went there a couple of nights to have dinner at SIGUE LA VACA translation: follow the cow (hahaha) and Estilo Campo…great food.

I also went to the Plaza de Armas but particularly enjoyed Palermo by far. I’m not a huge fan of taking city tours, I found out with time that you never really get the feeling of place sitting on a bus with timed visits to predetermined spots, what I did was hire Juan Carlos a Porteño (they call themselves that way) to take me all around. Not only was it considerably cheaper but it offered me the benefits of having a local take you to all the right places. His hotmail was carabajalajuancarlos you should try to contact him and if you have the chance ask him to take you to El Tigre and La Boca…you can have a portrait taken with Maradona, or at least a guy that looks exactly like him…who will tell? And dancing tango…ah tango…I’m definitely going back!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:36 AM

Hi Deppie,
we live in town and I think there is an exhausting assortment of choices of places to go, shop, dance, drink and have fun.
Near your hotel, you will find a lot of fun places..in Palermo Viejo/Soho/Hollywood, there are restaurants one after another and great bars and nightclubs..cool places to sit outside and listen to music.
We love Olsen for brunch , shopping in Palermo Viejo and then taking a nap and going back out to a 9:00-10:00 dinner at one of the many great restaurants in town.
Try to go to a milonga if you like Tango..Confiteria Ideal is a good one ..especially late afternoon on Saturday if you don't want to go to them late, they are just getting started around 2:00-3:00 am

Get guide books and start planning your day, we were here 2 weeks on our first trip and we never got to see half of what we had planned.
It is a huge city and so full of sights !

Get a good map too, it is very helpful, especially when planning what you will tell the taxi driver when you give him directions. You only have to give him cross streets.
If you don't speak Spanish that well, don't worry-write it down.
Taxi drivers here, overall, are gentlemen and very nice and helpful.
Try to always take a Radio Taxi with the light box on the roof ..

Have a wonderful trip
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Thank you, avrooster and BernieBob SOO much for your tips and suggestions...

Very excited about the trip, and believe me, getting started at 1 or 2am is not a problem

Cannot wait for BA!!

Deppie
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Your’e welcome Deppie

Forgot to tell you that you must visit RECOLETA and get ready for some serious shopping at the Florida St…my wallet is still complaining….almost forgot, if you contact Juan Carlos you might want to ask him if he is still helping the kids on that local church (cant ever remember the name), anyway, if he is, you might want to take pencils, notebooks (whatever you can) and personally give it to the kids…for me it was one of the nicest experiences while I was there.

Well ladies….hope you have fun!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM

BernieBarb,

I will definitely ask Juan Carlos about that.

I did something similar when I went to China, and it was absolutely one of the highlights of the trip.

Thanks so much for the tip.

Deppie
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:48 AM

Hi Deppie

I’ll be posting the photographs I took while I was in Buenos Aires on myspace soon; it would be nice to exchange pics when you get back. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you ladies with….talk to you soon -

Bernie
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Bernie,

Absolulely....if you have a link to your site, let me know.

On a side note, it seems like everyone is hitting BA these days

deppie