Hotel in Sao Paulo

Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Hotel in Sao Paulo

First time in Sao Paulo. We are looking for a hotel (4 stars)located near (walking distance) the metro and restaurants in Sao Paulo. What do you think of Tryp Paulista, Rua Haddok Lobo 294 ? Is Golden Tulip Al.Santos 85, better ? Would you have a recommandation to enjoy our visit to this city for a week ? Everybody tells us there is nothing to do or see and that it is dangerous.
Thank you. Pelo
Nov 23rd, 2005, 07:23 PM

The two you named I'm not very familiar with, but I wouldn't stay at the Tryp, as it is on the "other side" of Av. Paulista. Av. Santos is right next to Av. Paulista. this is the main drag in sao paulo, busy, dangerous.

If you are interested in being near restaurants, bars, shopping, and an area where you can generally walk around a bit, you'll want to be in an area called jardims. there are many expensive hotels there, but I'd suggest you consider the Mercure Hotel. It's on Alameda Itu, 1151. It looks OK from the outside, and it's located close enough to all you might be interested in. You can walk to the MASP museum (on Av. Paulista, and walk to lots of restaurants, fun bars, clubs, etc. there are a number of other options, but keep in mind Sao Paulo is an enormous city, very spread out, so what might sound like a good deal, can be very far from where you want to be.

I'm not so sure being near a subway will be very important for you as a visitor. It depends on how long you'll be staying, and what you want to do or see.

If you are planning to stay for more than a week, you might consider staying in a "flat", which is basically an apartment/hotel. the prices are better, they have hotel like maid services, but they don't have lots of hotel services like room service, restaurants, etc.

Be careful. sao paulo is, indeed, a dangerous city. There are a lot of good people and plenty of things to do...restaurants are great, but as in any strange city, stay aware of where you are.

Good luck.

Nov 25th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you viagista,we know the chain Mercure and will follow your advice. We usually take a sightseeing excursion for 1 day in order to be familiar with the city and then go exploring on our own. I speak a bit of spanish, so it helps. The idea of being near a metro station was to visit during 7 days the Centro and different areas such as liberdade, italian sector, the museums and other sites, etc. We have been to Rio and took the metro and local buses and we usually do all our things before dark, do you think we can do the same in Sao Paulo ?
Is it safe around the Mercure to go to restaurants around 7PM ?
Also, do you know how to go to the nearest beach? I read Santos was the closest.Thank you again. PELO
Nov 25th, 2005, 05:04 AM

I wouldn't look for hotels near the subway. You probabaly won't be using it much anyway. Sao Paulo is extremely huge, but has only 3 subway lines, which at time lead you places where you wouldn't want to go.
Av. Paulista is very central but more for business people.
The district I prefer is Moema. It is safe and there are lots of very good bars and restaurants. You can even walk a couple of blocks also at night.
I always stay in the Parthenon LeCorbusier (an Accor Hotel) in the Avenida lavandisca. It costs around 100 R$ and you always have two small rooms (more like an appartment).
I always make reservations from the Internet, so they don't rip you off.
Look at: <a href=http://www.accorhotels.com.br/guiahoteis/PARTHENON/hotel_main.asp?cd_hotel=75>Parthenon Le Corbusier</a>

Yes, Sao Paulo is dangerous. And there is actually nothing to see if you're tourist. Go to Sao Paulo for one of 4 reasons:
- you work there
- you have family there (my case)
- you love shopping (expensive brands)
- you want to enjoy teh night life

No other city in South America has such a great variety of bars.
Hope this helps a little.
Nov 25th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you sputnik.
PELO
Nov 29th, 2005, 01:30 PM

São Paulo is dangerous: 10 million people living in the city plus 7 million in near cities. But all my life living in greater SP, I never been robbed or kidnapped (except for the government, hehehe). For me SP is safe. But I know the city. Just be carefull and act like local people
Nov 30th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Abarbier. We are not afraid since we have traveled around the world and after all, the majority of poeple are helpfull and kind but we are cautious. We loved Rio and went there twice which inticed us to see more. So now we are going on a cruise to Belem, Fortaleza, Bahia, Recife and 7 days on our own in Sao Paulo. Next time will be Brasilia and Ouro Preto and the towns of Minas Garais.
PELO
Dec 4th, 2005, 08:49 AM

You're an exception. People goes to SP for business -only. And just a few likes the city, because it's a huge city, endless, tons of buildings, car, etc... But we received imigrants from all over the world living peacefully and mixing each other 'til today. Walk in Liberdade and people still speaks japanese. That's the city cool side! The beauty of SP.
Anyway, if you need more help, I'll be glad to help you - mail me.
Dec 4th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Abarbier,
I have a feeling you work in the hotel or travel business since you answer may mails. Maybe you just travel and like helping poeple like I do on this forum. So, I would appreciate you answering me one more time.Everybody tells us to stay in hotels in Jardins area near Paulista avenida. I read that Paulista avenida is 3km long. So, where is it best to stay, eat and shop: near the beginning of Paulista av. (near Concolaçao station) or further (near brigadeiro station or Paraiso station) ? Also, what about Cerqueira Cesar area ? Is it ok for restaurants, hotels, shopping ? Is it safe and is it walking distance to Jardins area ? Thank you. PELO

Dec 11th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Hi PELO. I dont't work in travel business- I live in SP metropolitan area and work in a federal bank. And, of course, I love to travel.
Back to Paulista Ave... Paraíso is the beginning and Consolação the End. All the avenue is a good option, BUT the best hotels, restaurants an fine Oscar Freire's stores is from the middle (Trianon-Masp) to the end (Consolação) of avenue.
Jardins, Moema, Morumbi, Pinheiros, among others are the most beautiful neighbourhoods of the city - West and South zones. Cerqueira Cesar is in this area. It's good to have a city map, and the subway map can be downloaded from the site: www.metro.sp.gov.br - there's an english link.
Dec 19th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Abarbier. You have been very helpfull. We are leaving Montreal, Québec, Canada tomorrow for Brazil and will come back January 16th, 2006. I will report on our impressions.
PELO
Jan 26th, 2006, 02:16 AM

If you're still out there reading Pelo - what hotel did you wind up in ? How was it?
Jan 26th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

My husband and myself just came back from an 18 days Princess cruise in Brazil and one week in Sao Paulo. This country is beautiful with wounderful beaches, old and modern architecture, interesting history and sights, varied fauna and flora,very good food, and very nice and helpful brazilians. Bahia and Olinda are very well preserved and very interesting old towns. Belem very special port, Recife and Fortaleza very modern cities by the beach and Rio always so magnificient (a jewel). We also enjoyed visiting Sao Paulo on our own, by metro and walking. We stayed at the excellent Golden Tulip four stars hotel(dutch chain), located in Jardins at 85 Santos alemada,73$ U.S. per night,including an excellent buffet breakfast.The sunday brunch is wonderfull and women pay half.The hotel is located one block from Paulista avenue near the Brigadeiro metro station, across the street from the excellent Rubayiat restaurant. This allowed us to go and visit the MASP museum, chinatown, the old city, the nice Pinheros district and very rich cidade jardim area in Itaim Bibi,the iguatemi shopping center (expensive)and other shopping centers close to the hotel. We bought shoes at a very good price at Di Pollini store, Paulista Shopping center, from Jorge, a very simpathetic salesman. We walked to the beautifull Ibirapuera park. We did not see all we wanted because the metro does not cover the entire hudge city. We were fascinated by all these high rises of different architecture that we could see from our 20th floor hotel room. The old city is very interesting but very crowded therefore dangerous for pickpockets. We did not go out after dark except to eat around the hotel. We do not understand why Sao Paulo is so downsized by some poeple. We think it is worth the visit. Unfortunately there are no organized sightseing tour except the very expensive and private tours which we did not take. Thank you ABARBIER for all your helpfull info. We enjoyed your city and love Brazil.
PELO

Feb 3rd, 2006, 01:28 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed SP. The city is huge, complicated, but we love it that way.
The city center is very crowded, but last mayor made good improvments in area...
The metro is being expanded. The new line 4 will cross Pinheiros, Oscar Freire, Consolação to the Luz station - it will cost more than 1 billion to government. Operations will start in 2008. By the way, subway is top priority for the city, or the chaos will rule...
Feb 10th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi Abarbier,
Thanks for the info. Would you believe, there was nobody on the streets on a saturday afternoon, when we visited the beautiful Cidade Jardim, except the security gards in front of the houses.