Search

porte d'italie

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:42 AM
ackis

porte d'italie

is port d'italie a good and safe area in Paris?<BR>im asking because i found an IBIS hotel there in the price 45 EURO pay day!<BR>whats your opinion?should i reserve it?<BR>thank you very much

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:47 AM
elvira

no, find something else. It's not the area is unsafe, it's just out in BFE and other than Chinatown, is pretty uninteresting and fairly ugly.<BR><BR>If you want to see the neighborhood, go to http://wfa.pagesjaunes.fr/rc.cgi?<BR>put in the address of your hotel and get photos of the hotel and the neighborhood.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Al

For that price and standard, it's not a bad choice for central Paris. As elvira has pointed out, the neighbourhood is not unsafe but probably not the most interesting area in itself. However, it's served by several metro lines and so transport is not a problem.<BR><BR>Also it's near Chinatown and so if you are tight on your budget, the restaurants are usually nice and cheap.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Wendy

I absolutely echo Elvira! This area is not where you want to stay. I also think that IBIS hotels are not really a great choice either. <BR><BR>You can find small places in the Marais or Latin Quarter for a little over the price you are looking at now.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Jeff

Rarely will so many people agree on something but I agree wholeheartedly with what others have said. The neighborhood is certainly not unsafe, it is somewhat between a residential/commercial area with absolutely no monuments there nor any quality restaurants although there are some typical neighborhood bistros as well as some oriental restaurants.<BR><BR>The area is well served by the metro with 3 lines going through the station so you are only minutes from anywhere. <BR><BR>You can do better but you can do worse.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:23 AM
ackis

well i would like to thank you all for your interest and answers!i hope to be able oneday to help with greek issues if you are interested<BR>i let you know that im a student and it is impossible to spend a lot of money.thats why one of my choices is porte d'italie.i know that IBIS is nothing special but at least it is clean.i think its better than the youth hostels in Paris.really i dont care about the surroundings .whats maters for me is my room to be clean and the area of my hotel safe in the night.i dont intend to stay many hours in the hotel ,i ll be in the center of the city <BR>anyway ,there are many IBIS ,etap hotels in Paris ,im going to check all the places and ask you (you know paris so well!<BR>i would like to hear your opinions THANKS A LOT once again for helping

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Seamus

Ackis-<BR>Yes, port d'italie is cheap because it is poorly located, but Ibis hotels should be perfect for your needs. It is basic but clean, safe, inexpensive and comfortable - and the breakfast is nice, too! I've used Ibis in several places in Europe when that's what I wanted, and have never been disappointed. <BR>There are many Ibis locations all around Paris. My favorite is the Ibis Bastille. Go to www.ibishotel.com for more info.<BR>Have a wonderful time!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:39 PM
ackis

thank you very much for the information.i ve heard that Bastille is not a safe area ,is that right?<BR>where else have you stayed in europe(ibis imean)?apart from the bastille ibis can you reccomend any other???<BR>ibis ,etap or formule 1 in paris???<BR>thank you once again<BR>have a good time ,best regards <BR>ACKIS<BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:49 PM
clairobscur

Bastille is a very lively area (there are many clubs and bars catering for youth in some streets close to it, there are also expensive restaurants on the other side, etc...). I'm not sure why it would be considered unsafe. Given that there's always a lot of people there, I would consider it pretty safe.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Al

The problem with Formule 1 is that their hotels are usually outside central Paris (meaning outside the peripherique) and so transport-wise it's not so convenient but the rooms are cheaper (about 30 Euros per night). While Porte d'Italie is not right in the heart of the touristy area, it's still well within the metro network.<BR><BR>Ibis Bastille is actually not a bad choice either for its location. Bastille is not that dangerous (I can think of places I wouldn't venture to at night in Paris, and Bastille is not on my list) and is considered to be a rather young and trendy area, and has a pretty good nightlife. Just like other big cities, you just have to be sensible and vigilant.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:03 PM
ACKIS

u are probably right ,thanks for the answers.i checked out Bastille IBIS its 85 euro .its pretty much for me!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:11 PM
ackis

in accorhotels.com there areibis ,etap,formule 1 available.u just press paris and thats all.can anyone help me ,there are so many......which one to choose ?ibis vilette with55 euro maybe?<BR>give me your opinions please !<BR>thanks

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:12 PM
StCirq

Ackis:<BR><BR>If you go to a good bookstore and check out books listing accommodations in Paris (try the Let's Go or Rough Guides for a start), you may be surprised what you can find. I just flipped open Alistair Sawdays French Bed & Breakfasts and found a listing for a B&B "on the 6th floor of one wing of a large and delightfully 1930s riverside block of flats with a superb view from its balconies across the Seine to the intriguingly modern Andr&eacute; Citro&euml;n Park, this is a well proportioned apartment with big rooms and a well-loved, well lived-in patina.....Madame has lots of time for her guests and lends a very attentive yet gracious ear to their traveller's tales." Price is 45.73 euros per night (for two, including breakfast). There's another one listed near the rue Mouffetard for 44.21 euros. If you're a bit creative, you don't have to settle for either a youth hostel or the porte d'Italie.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:20 PM
ackis

u are talking about the building ,the surroundings ,the view ,the atmosphere,u didnt tell me about the interior....the facilities, if your room was clean....<BR>i have to be more creative ,u are right!<BR>anyway ,its the first time im planning by myself my holiday so ....i learn<BR>thanks

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Christina

I understand your thought process but am wondering if you realize that hotel is not even in Paris? That is just outside the city, it's not Place d'Italie but Porte--at first, I thought it was place which I didn't think was great but not that inconvenient untill I checked prices and found the only Ibis that cheap was outside the city limits, I think others presume it's place, also. <BR>Other good location Ibis are the Cambronne or maybe Montparnasse (near Pernety metro) or the Bastille, but all those are about 70 euros, apparently.<BR><BR>3 metro lines don't run through there, only one. There are cheap hotels around that price in the 13th-14th arr, or even 11th-12th that will be better choices due to location. And I'm not one to insist on staying around monuments or tourist attractions or in St-Germain. I can understand you want to make sure a place isn't a dump, why don't you check out the cheapest choices in www.timeout.com for alternatives.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Al

Ackis - Ibis Villette is in the 19th arrondissement and so you are no better off in terms of location/distance compared to the 13th. If I have to choose, I would go for Porte d'Italie - the price you quote is not bad at all. There are places slightly cheaper, but as I gather you want somewhere that's clean and comfortable enough also and so at the end of the day is are you prepared to pay that extra 5 Euros?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:40 PM
ackis

thanks christine i will check it out!<BR>thanks Al,ok,i understand i can pay max 60 euro.i found aformule 1in porte de st-ouen and an ETAP in porte vanves<BR>which one?the porte italie better?<BR>can you help me now?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Al

Christina's right! Sorry Ackis - not reading the place name properly. Porte d'Italie is different! It's the other side of Chinatown, right by the peripherique---- metro line 13 still goes there but it's further out.<BR><BR>There's one I stayed in years ago called Apollon Montparnasse (metro Pernety) on rue Pernety in the 14th. It's quite reasonably priced (within your price range) and close enough to Montparnasse (another lively area). Whether the price has gone up dramatically or the hotel still exists I do not know. But you can probably find out from the internet?!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Al

Ackis - Try this web page for a cheap hotel:<BR><BR>http://www.medoc-ias.u-psud.fr/divers/lodging.html<BR><BR>I've stayed in Hotel Baudelaire before--- basic, quite clean and definitely cheap. Bed is a bit too soft for my liking. It's in Denfert, nice quiet and safe at night; and transport is not a problem (metro lines 4+6 and RER B go there).

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 03:09 PM
ackis

i will check out the hotel you reccomend me<BR>thank you for helping me so much<BR>have anice day.....