14E area in Paris

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Danny

14E area in Paris

I am considering a hotel in this area Near the port d'orleans metro. Is this area to far out from everything or is it OK. How is the area with regards to safety; is it quiet; are there many cafes, restaurants and places to pick up breakfast. Please help.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Bob Brown

The Port d'Orleans Metro station is a little far out, but you are 5 stops away from Vavin which is right on Boulevard Montparnasse. The hotel I use is on the corner, virtually, of Edgar Quinet and Raspail, just about 200 yards from Vavin, so it is in the 14th, but a little ways away from where you are. That area is full of people and all sorts of activity day and night.

I doubt if many Fodorites know that area of Paris because it is so far distance wise from the main attractions.
In terms of transit time, it is not that bad. What lures you there? Price?

Also, you are only one Metro stop from the Alesia station. That area is one where 3 streets intersect. It has places to eat. In fact, the area as I recall is fairly lively and well off the normal tourist tracks.

I walked down there one evening looking for a place to eat, and passed by quite a few shops. The whole area strikes me as being a solid middle class area. Hopefully a Paris resident will be able to answer from more experience than I.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:56 PM
curious

ttt

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:24 AM
francesca

I love the 14th and think it is a great place to stay. It has some interesting places for tourist (catacombs, Montparnasse, cemetery) a lot of reall people areas, a great park (Montsouris), decent bargain shopping (rue d'Alesia) and some excellent restaurants. Well served by the metro, too, so even way down near Porte d'Orleans you won't be too far from more interesting areas. If you have a good deal there, go for it. I am a Paris resident; live in the 15th (less interesting for a tourist)

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:40 AM
mark

Dear Danny

I have lived in the 14th area for the last 5 years & have never ever had a problem with safety.
The area is relatively quiet until you approach Montparnasse where you will find a vast array of good restaurants , bars & nightlife.

Contact me if you require any precise info. about the area.

best regards

Mark Harris
Commercial Manager
Parishuttle

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Danny

Thanks for all the advice! I will be Probably be staying at the Hotel Virgina
(66, rue du Père Corentin - 75014 Paris)
Do you have any info on the hotel. And are there any nice places to pick up breakfast in walking distnce.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:44 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:35 PM
mark

Dear Danny

Two stops on the metro ( or a short walk )from porte d'orleans to Denfert Rochereau & you have the charming Rue Daguerre ( little known to most tourists )
Stop at Cafe daguerre for breakfast / lunch/dinner.
Denfert is also where you will find the "catacombs "
A short walk east from the Hotel you have the delightful Parc Montsouris ( again little known by most tourists ).

best regards

mark
parishuttle