Hotel in RIO for Carnival

Oct 20th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Hotel in RIO for Carnival

I'm going down to Brazil for Carnival. I've found two Hotels that are within my budget: The CENTER HOTEL in the city center business district (downtown), and The GUANABARA PALACE which is in the same area.

Has anyone had any experience with either hotel?
Oct 21st, 2004, 05:21 AM

downtown is not the best place to stay...you got to be very careful there. start looking fast, it is already late.
contact this one in Ipanema, it is a 2* hotel, well located and clean :
Hoteis Vermont
Rua Visconde de Piraja 254
email: [email protected]
ph 2522-0057
fax 2267-7046
Oct 21st, 2004, 10:45 AM

Yes Miguel is right, downtown is the business district and only during the week you will see people during business hours. At night everythin closes and on the weekends too. Look elsewhere. You want to at least be on Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon, Gloria, Botofago or even try Barra which would be a much better choice. Stay away from downtown, if your looking for something more affordable then look into renting an apartment in Copacabana for about $100 a day during that time.
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:35 AM

Going to Rio during Carnival is expensive ... and - if on a budget - here are two of the best hotels:

(1) Ipanema Inn - one block from the beach and in the 'nice part' of Ipanema
(2) Arpoador Inn - owned by the same people and with a location on Arpoador beach.

Both will run you US$600-700 for 5 night packages. After Carnival, if you stay longer, the prices will be 1/2 to 1/3 that of Carnival dates.

The hotels are being booked very quickly and some are already sold out for Carnival 2005. If you are going to Carnival for sure, write Silviano ([email protected]) from Ipanema.com. His service is very reliable, he responds within a day, and payments are via credit card (you don't need to wire him money via Western Union). Here is a list of what I had mailed to me in the past on these two hotels:

*Arpoador Inn - two-star property along Ipanema Beach that has been recently renovated. Standard rooms are quite compact and they do not have a view. Superior rooms may overlook the main street, not the beach. Deluxe rooms are oceanfront. 5-night packages including breakfast;
standard (sgl/dbl) - US$600 + 5% tax; triple - not available
superior (sgl/dbl) - US$800 + 5% tax; triple - US$1,000 + 5% tax
oceanfront (sgl/dbl) - US$1,250 + 5% tax; triple - US$1,550 + 5% tax

*Ipanema Inn - two-star property one block from Ipanema Beach. Recently renovated. 5-night packages including breakfast;
standard (sgl/dbl) - US$700 + 5% tax; triple - US$875 + 5% tax
superior (sgl/dbl) - US$900 + 5% tax; triple - US$1,125 + 5% tax
two-bedroom suite (sgl/dbl) - US$1,150 + 5% tax; triple - US$1,500 + 5%
tax; quadruple (4 guests) - US$1,850 + 5% tax

If you need an apartment, I would write Kenn:

[email protected] - Kenn at EZ-RioRentals always wrote me back immediately and is very honest and frank; I've never heard anything negative about him
Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:12 AM

You would be better off renting an apartment. Try rentaflat.com.br. There are very reasonably. One bedroom high season is $80-95 per night.