Search

Hotel in Osa/Drake

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Osa/Drake

I am trying to choose between Casa Corcovado and Lapas Rios. Lapas Rios seems a little more luxurious, but I am afraid that we will not experience the same "biological intensity" that is promised at Casa Corcovado, which basically borders on the Park and Cano Island. We primarily want to hike and dive there, but also would enjoy comfortable accomodations. Any insight?
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Do you realize Lapas Rios is in Cabo Matapalo area? Other side of the Osa. From what I know their reserve has very good trails and I know the area has alot of animals but no Cano Island diving. Casa Corcovado will be comfortable enough.
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Does Lapa Rios have its own beach? I'm not sure - but CC does (admitedly small and black sand, but it is a beach).
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Any other recommendations? I'm a bit of a nature nut and have never been to Costa Rica. My husband will definitely want a nice place to stay and relax... and we both want to dive (main purpose of the trip).
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:38 AM

I'm not sure, but I don't think the Osa is CR's best diving spot. IF that's the main reason for the trip, may I suggest putting up another post specific to that desire? And you might also consider calling a TA who specializes in CR. There are several around here who are mentioned frequently, and I can recommend one of them, Pat Hewitt.
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Since you are considering Lapa Rios, did you also consider Bosque del Cabo, which is in the same area? If you are into nature you will not be disappointed there.

I've been to both Bosque del Cabo and Casa Corcovado. I liked both places. At CC, you choose a package, and your activities are more or less planned for you. At Bosque, you're basically on your own to do what you want. They have several trails for self-guided hiking. They do offer some organized activities, but they cost extra.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Brian, do you remember roughly what wine and drinks cost at CC -- and how was the food?
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Acctg,

I didn't buy any drinks at the bar, so I really can't say what they cost. I would guess a couple US dollars a piece.

As for the food, I thought it was pretty good, especially considering that everything must arrive by boat and electricity is limited. For breakfast you ordered off a menu. You could have cereal, bacon and eggs, pancakes, all the usual stuff. At lunch time you were usually away from the lodge (national park, Cano Island, San Josecito beach), so they were picnic style - sandwiches, some kind of pasta and vegetable salad, fruit and dessert. Dinner was served at 7:00 PM, and everyone ate together at large tables. There were several courses and the menu was set each evening. There wasn't really much choice there. The entrees included beef, chicken, seafood along with different types of vegetables. Again, I thought the food was fine. I'm not that picky.