Costa Rican mosquitoes

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rican mosquitoes

I am planning to be in CR the first two weeks in November. Just how bad are the mosquitoes? They LOVE my blood and several bites will make for a miserable time. Will I be able to avoid them if I religiously use a DEET repellant? Thanks to you experienced mosquito avoiders!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:46 PM

We've never been terribly bothered by them - we always just wear repellant - it also depends upon which area you're going to. I've gotten a couple little bites - mosquitoes are much worse here in Houston than I've experienced in CR. They usually love me too! I think you'll be fine.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM

I think you will get a lot of different answers here because it will most likely depend on season and area. Mosquitoes love me too, and my daughter, so I will share our experience from last May.

In Puerto Viejo, only noticed them at night and in the rainforest. Not around the hotel or in town too much. The no-see-ums got my daughter horribly and we were careful to keep Deet on after that.

In Arenal, didn't notice them too much and same with Central area (but we weren't out too late there, and they didn't bother us during the day).

In Osa, we had to keep Deet on 24/7. I'm not talking the family stuff. I'm talking 40% or higher. We stayed at Bosque del Cabo with an extensive trail system and I would always carry Deet with me to reapply. Literally, if we stopped to look for wildlife, they would swarm upon us, but if we had the Deet on they wouldn't bother us. We ran out and tried the all natural stuff and that didn't work at all. Many Fodorites have had no problem in Osa with mosquitoes, so I think it's best just to be prepared. Deet is a strong chemical, but we would have been MISERABLE without it!

Sorry for such a long-winded reply! Short answer is take your Deet and have a great trip!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM

The thing is volcanogir<font color="red">l</font> and hipvirgoch<font color="blue">i</font>ck that you two are lovely ladies .....and the mosquitos in Costa Rica are all male mosquitos so of course they are attracted to you.!!!

I have to go to get some before I get myself into more trouble..

Good Nigh<font color="green">t</font>
Percy

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM

LOL! Percy -- You just earned extra points for that one!

Nighty-night...
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your responses. But Percy, don't tell me they're all male because I'll attract the 10%+ that are gay! That's still a lot of bites! If I have to I'll bathe in DEET to keep those boys away from me! Thanks
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 03:48 AM

Aw, shucks, Percy... You sweet talker you!
Hip, you must be sweeter than I am! We really didn't see any mosquitoes on the trails or by our cabin at BdC, but we did get bites in the tropical garden - the grass was getting long, and they were all hovering at ankle level. We used a little spray bottle of Cutter that we got at REI, and it seemed to do the trick.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 05:20 PM

The only place I have been bothered by mosquitoes is in Arenal near standing water.