Hotel Choice: Rio

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:51 PM
dan

Hotel Choice: Rio

I'm trying to make a final choice between Rio Othon Palace, Ipanema Plaza, and Rio Atlantica. I hear Ipanema Plaza is new and nice, but I'm wondering if the location is good? Is "half a block off the beach" inconvenient, or no big deal? We need to book a "triple" room, as we are traveling with three adults, and all these hotels have triples.

We are three guys, early thirties, looking for a great vacation, and some fun/sun/relaxation!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Don

Dan, depending on what your idea of fun/sun/relaxation is, keep in mind most 5 star hotels including the Rio Othon Palace will not even allow you to bring your Grandmother into your room for tea (unless she is a registered guest).

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Don

Don, I don't know the Ipanema Plaza, you say its new, I don't remember seeing any new hotel in Ipanema but anyway a half block off the beach is no big deal. If I had to choose between the Othon palace or the Atlantica, I would choose the Atlantica. Both are close to each other on Copacabana but I think the Atlantica may be newer and better maintained.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:39 PM
jill

I would choose the Ipanema Plaza. It is in an excellent neighborhood. Good shopping, great restaurants and Ipanema is safer for a first time visitor to Rio. If you want to visit the night clubs in Copacabana at night, they are just a 2 minute cab ride away.
Enjoy Rio! I was a tour director there in the 80s! Lots of fun, great music, friendly people!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Sandy

Hi,

We're budget travelers (mid-50s, married ladies) and we're looking for advice on an inexpensive but safe/clean hotel in Ipanema or Copa. We don't need to be on the beach but would like it to be convenient to the beach and restaurants.

Any suggestions? Must we have reservations for mid March? If we decide to just wing it, where would be a good place to start (near what hotel, we need to know where to tell the bus driver to let us off).

Thanks a million!
Sandy

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Don

Below are 3 hotels I stay at in Copacabana, all 3 are on the beach near the Othon Palace. The Debret is a 3 star the other 2 are 4 star. In mid March you should have no problem. I used to work for an airline and go to Rio for 7 years without reservations and never had a problem.

Miramar Palace Hotel
Av. Atlântica, 3668 Copacabana
22070-001 Rio de Janeiro - RJ
Phone: (55) (21) 2521-1122
Fax: (55) (21) 2521-3294

Hotel Debret
Av. Atlântica, 3564 - Copacabana
Rio de Janeiro, RJ 22070-001 Brazil
Phone: 55-21-2522-0132 Fax: 55-21-2521-0899

Luxor Regente Hotel
Para informações e reservas, consulte seu agente de viagens ou
Av. Atlântica, 3716 - Copacabana
Rio de Janeiro, RJ 22070-001 Brasil
Tel: (5521) 525-2070 Fax: (5521) 267-7693
DDD gratuito: 0800-16-5322

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:03 PM
dan

Thanks Everyone! I appreciate your help. I'm going to book Ipanema Plaza...Hey Don, thanks for the heads up about security...I'm married (so the more security the better!), but my two buddies are single...any advice for them on getting any nightly "friends" into the hotel?

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Don

Dan, lets take a look at this picture, you are 3 guys in one room, right? Your married, your 2 friends are not, they want to bring 2 friends into the room, thats now 5 in the room. Is your wife going to be happy with that? Well I don't think the management of any hotel in Rio will be. Your friends may have to splinter off and find temporary accomodations.