Election day in Cancun no alcohol??? Is this true???

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Marie

Election day in Cancun no alcohol??? Is this true???

I just read something on another forum that I cannot believe is true. They said election day in Cancun is Feb 16 and no alcohol is served for a couple days???? Is this true for all inclusives in Playa as well?? Is it true at all??? If it is I'm going to have to fire my travel agent, as that is the day I leave.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Sandy

Yes, this is the norm all over Central America . . . they usually stop selling alcohol around noon on the day before the election and then all day on the election.

I went into a restaurant and the waitress served me wine but put it in a coffee cup so it didn't look like liquor. So, there are ways around.

Take some with you . . .

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Laura

Wow! My friend and I are booked into an all-inclusive from the 15-22 of Feb.
Sandy, you never mentioned if this law includes the all-inclusives. It wouldn't make sense but...

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Wendy

My friends and I were lucky (haha!) enough to hit election day in Mazatlan quite a few years back. We took drastic measures as it was her b-day weekend. We stocked up at the Giante store on beer and tequila before they stopped selling. Then we checked with some local restaurant owners to find out who would be open to letting us bring in our own drinks. We just filled our travel mugs and away we went! Saved money too! haha!

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 01:24 PM
xxx

I hate to say it but if you cannot last one day without booze - you have a serious alcohol problem.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Jennifer

Yes, this is the truth. I was in Mexico City in 1994 durning the presidential election and there was no alcohol served and no bull fights allowed.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Joyce

Yes, the Law Applies to All-inclusives as well.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:53 AM
alanna

confused. whenis actual election day in cancun. i have read on this site different dates, and am confused. no we are not alcoholics but when one goes for only a week to stay at an all incl. one would like to be able to have a drink whenone has payed for it right? please enlighten me .