Honeymoon Advice

Jan 31st, 2019, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Advice

[COLOR=left=#323232]We have given our son and daughter-in-law a gift of a trip for their honeymoon. They are interested in Costa Rica or Belize. While I've traveled a good bit internationally, I've never been to either. I've also posted this on the Costa Rica thread and any opinions of one vs. the other would be appreciated. They are not big on swimming in the ocean, but want to snorkel, hike, ride ATVs, and do zip lines. They want all inclusive or a place with a meal plan (not my style, but they are not experienced travelers and are a little intimidated by the idea of striking out for meals). They'll be flying out of Atlanta, so airport options would be nice too so they might not have to deal with figuring out transportation to resorts. They need not be in one resort the whole time, so if they'd get a better experience by spending part of the time in a non-beach area, that would be fine. I personally hate all inclusives, my style is to venture out into the local culture, but I want them to have a low stress experience and the honeymoon of THEIR dreams. Thanks to you all for any help you can give me! [/COLOR]
Jan 31st, 2019, 11:51 AM

>>I've also posted this on the Costa Rica thread <<

Just a (hopefully helpful) hint. There is no need to double post -- there is just one Forum (Mexico & Central America) so asking which country is better can and should be just one thread. You can tag a thread for multiple countries, but no matter -- all your threads will be on the same Mexico/Central America board.

You might ask the moderators to merge your two threads. Especially since folks who have been to both won't have to reinvent the wheel and post to both of your threads.
Jan 31st, 2019, 12:22 PM

That's unfortunate that you're recommending merging of threads.
Some people have only been to one country or the other, and just follow that particular country.
Jan 31st, 2019, 12:23 PM

To the OP, I would start a thread with Belize in the title like you did for CR.

Perhaps someone who has been there will pay attention.
Jan 31st, 2019, 02:03 PM

We've been to Belize and enjoyed it. We stayed at Victoria House on Ambergris - very pretty. Snorkeling is much better in Belize than it is in Costa Rica. The snorkeling at Hol Chan is some of the best we've ever done. We saw huge rays, sea turtles, nurse sharks, and pretty colorful tropical fish. You have to take a tour to the reef, but it's a quick boat ride. In general food is better in Belize than in Costa Rica. We love Costa Rica though for the natural beauty, wildlife, adventure activities, waterfalls, etc. Victoria House is not AI, but they have both an upscale restaurant and a bar area that serves more casual food; food was good, and Ambergris has lots of restaurants. You can rent golf carts to get around. We paired VH with a jungle lodge called Chaa Creek to get our jungle time. Have also stayed at the Lamanai Outpost Lodge - loved it, but it's not a honeymoon vibe.
Jan 31st, 2019, 03:20 PM

>>That's unfortunate that you're recommending merging of threads.
Some people have only been to one country or the other, and just follow that particular country..<<

Guess you don't understand how tags work. If one tags a thread for Costa Rica and for Belize . . . everyone with an interest in either one willl see the thread.
Jan 31st, 2019, 04:07 PM

Yes but if you just put Honeymoon Advice as the title, probably no one will read it, other than unofficial moderators who apparently have no actual advice on either thread.

At least Costa Rica expert volcanogirl saw it and chimed in.

All I know is that Costa Rica is not really renowned as a snorkel destination.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 31st, 2019 at 04:12 PM.
Jan 31st, 2019, 08:32 PM

For Belize, I'd reach out to Katie Valk - tell her your budget, how many nights, their interests. She will be able to put together a package that will could be easy, romantic, and adventurous, too. https://www.belize-trips.com/
Feb 1st, 2019, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Belize June 1

Lots of good advice, and please keep it coming. Ambergris looks fantastic. Checked out Victoria House, that would be great but all they have left for that week is a suite at $660 a night, way outside their budget. They have $5K to spend but that includes airfare and such. Good ideas about renting a golf cart and skipping the all inclusive part. I've gotten so much good advice on these boards, keep the help coming please! Thanks.
Feb 1st, 2019, 05:25 AM

You're right; that's pretty steep. I think we paid about half of that. To get to Ambergris, we flew over from the main airport on Tropic Air, it's a very quick flight. If they didn't want to do that they could take a ferry over.
Feb 1st, 2019, 06:46 AM
RAC

If they want to do an all-inclusive type of place, why not go up the coast slightly from Belize to the Riviera Maya in Mexico? That has a bunch of activities, (one place you can zip line into a cave filled with water), plenty of snorkeling opportunities, and a tremendous number of AI type places at numerous price points.
Feb 1st, 2019, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

RAC, they are afraid of Mexico. Since they haven't traveled much, they believe what they read. Such a shame, it's a beautiful place. Although I do find the Cancun airport to be a little scary and I've been in some pretty third world airports.
Feb 1st, 2019, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, volcanogirl, they only have the suite left, must be a busy week. All the smaller rooms (which still look fantastic) are booked.

Last edited by agsimpkins13; Feb 1st, 2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add name
Feb 1st, 2019, 01:02 PM
RAC

There are definitely parts of Mexico I would avoid, but avoiding the Yucatan because of the cartel violence is like avoiding New York because of violence in Chicago.

Sigh.
Feb 1st, 2019, 01:29 PM

R. do you still have to avoid drinking the water in Mexico? I've gotten sick there before, haven't been for a few years though. That's one thing I like about Belize and Costa Rica - have eaten and drunk what we like without getting sick.
Feb 1st, 2019, 02:06 PM
RAC

Most of the resorts have their own water purification systems. Failing that, there generally will be dispensers with the 5 gallon jugs. Same precautions that we use in Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador.
Feb 1st, 2019, 02:14 PM

Good to know - thanks.
Feb 1st, 2019, 02:48 PM

Yeah, pretty much everybody in Mexico drinks purified water rather than water straight from a municipal water source. Even if the water is good when it starts its journey, there are a lot of opportunities for contamination between the source and the tap, and in countries like Mexico where infrastructure often isn't maintained as it should be, contamination happens. Most homes, offices, and just about every hotel I've stayed in in Mexico have a large jug of purified water available so you can refill bottles or just get a glass of water, and bottled water is cheap and widely available. And as mentioned, large resorts usually have water purification systems.

I agree that it's too bad that these folks are afraid of Mexico. It's a wonderful country with a lot to offer. The big resorts on the Mayan Riviera aren't really my style, but they do sound like they'd work well for this couple.
Feb 1st, 2019, 06:28 PM

Thanks, november!

Did the couple consider the Caribbean at all? If they're in Atlanta seems like that might make sense, somewhere like the Virgin Islands or BVIs?