Search

Honeymoon in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Jason

Honeymoon in Costa Rica

Hey,<BR>My fiance and I are planning a June honeymoon to Costa Rica. Does anyone have any good resort ideas. We were looking at an overnight in San Jose and then possibly the Hotel Punta Islita or Si Como No. Any help on Costa Rica would be appreciated. Thanks,<BR>Jason<BR>

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:41 PM
LT

I might have misunderstood your post but it seems like you're asking for one place to stay the entire visit. If that's the case, then in my opinion, Costa Rica is not a place to stay at one place for an entire trip. There is so much to see so it's best if you try to go to 2-3 places. <BR><BR>Just read this message board for destination ideas.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Ally

Hi Jason,<BR>Punta Islita and Si Como No are both very nice. I'm not sure Si Como No is the best choice for a honeymoon though, as it's a 'family friendly' hotel...meaning your solitude could be disrupted by kids at the pool area, playing on the water slides, etc. Have you looked at Makanda By The Sea? Much more romantic for a honeymoon. <BR>How much time do you have to spend in Costa Rica? As previous poster says, you may want to visit a couple different areas.<BR>I have some experience in doing itineraries in Costa Rica. Feel free to email me.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Carol

Hi Jason,<BR><BR>You might want to check out www.crexpert.com and click on "Honeymoons." (Costa Rica Experts travel agency.) They have a listing of great honeymoon hotels and some honeymoon package ideas. (By the way, no, I'm not from the agency!) <BR><BR>They only book Costa Rica and are really knowledgeable. I used them and they've been very helpful.<BR><BR>By the way, as another person wrote, Makanda by the Sea looks like a really good choice.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Kasia

Just got back from my honeymoon in Costa Rica. I'm going to try to do a trip report if I ever get some time as I used this Forum for information and would like to be able to give others some information!<BR>We stayed at the Following Resorts during our Honeymoon:<BR>1) Xandari Plantation<BR>2) Tabacon Resort<BR>3) Makanda By The Sea<BR>4) Lapa Rios<BR>We had an amazing time and are so happy that we went during the off-season. The weather was beautiful, we enjoyed hardly no crowds and lower rates!!!<BR>Hope this helps!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Amy

Kasia-<BR><BR>I'd love some advice on a 7 night itinerary (Sat-Sat). We love both beach and jungle. We were thinking about Corcavado and Manuel Antonio but this might not make sense. Generally, we'll do one hotel that more "rustic" i.e. we stayed in cabanas in Belize with no electricity), but then have to get to something nicer.<BR><BR>All ideas welcome. We would love to do some of the canopy tours in the jungle...

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Wendy

Definitely Xandari (just outside San Jose) and Makanda By The Sea (Manuel Antonio). Both are incredibly beautiful places. Stayed there for my honeymoon.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Ally

Amy,<BR>Hopefully Kasia will check in and get back to you. I thought I'd give my 2 cents in the meantime.<BR>My first question would be about the number of nights you have. Depending on your flight times for arrival and departure, you may need to spend your first and last night in Alejuela or San Jose so you'll be near the airport. So, your 7 nights may turn out to be only 5 nights to see other areas. It would still be possible to see both Manuel Antonio and Corcovado, but keep in mind a lot of your time will be spent traveling between these areas! As for the Osa, were you thinking about the Drake Bay area on the western side of the penisula or the Cabo Matapalo area (Gulfito side of Osa) where Lapa Rios is? I think since you may be pressed for time, Cabo Matapalo would be better as it does not take quite as long to get there, and if you can afford it Lapa Rios is great. There are other places in the area though. I stayed at Rancho Almendros for less than half the cost, and loved it, but it is such a small place so it may be harder to find other people to socialize with. Depends on whether you'd want that I guess! <BR>Last, I'm not sure about canopy tours in the Osa area, I assume there would be one, but I've not heard about it. In the Manuel Antonio area there is Rainmaker, which is a walking tour suspended on bridges, or Canopy Safari and Dream Forest Canopy which are both 'tarzan-style'.<BR>Hope I've helped!<BR><BR>KASIA, let's see that trip report please!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Debbie

For ultimate seclusion we went to Cana Blanca Beach and Rain Forest Lodge on the Golfo Dulce. Private black sand beach-acessable only by boat-, only three bungalows and exquisite cuisine. The wildlife was phenominal on their 900 acres.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:50 PM
KASIA

Sorry about the delay in response, I have not checked the boards in a long time!<BR>AMY<BR>About your question regarding being able to visit the Jungle &amp; beach areas in 7 days. I think it's possible but you'll really have to plan things right. You'll have to try to get early flights so you don't waste time travelling. <BR>You'll have to fly into San Jose early so that you can get to Manuel Antonio by the early afternoon. We stayed in MA for 3 nights. We had one activity planned each day. We went white water rafting, did a canopy tour and visited the National Park. On the 4th day we took an early AM flight to Puerto Jimenez and arrived in Lapa Rios before noon. It was a 40 minute flight and then another 30 minutes to the resort. It was a much different experience. The wildlife was more abundant. I can't comment on Corcovado as I did not stop there. I imagine it would be the same type of experience as Pt. Jimenez. <BR>I hope you can make the trip to both places as they are both so unique and different! <BR>Have Fun - it's a beautiful Country!