Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Help! We think we chose Zihua, some questions first.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!
This is my first post, and it's a long one! Try to bear with me as I have been researching for a while and my mind is buzzing with questions.

Hubby (37) and I (34) are finally taking our first real vacation without kids/friends/family in about 8 yrs.

Never been to Mexico and really want to go!!! No interest in Cabo/Cancun...too developed. We're thinking we've settled on 7-9 days in Zihuatanejo in the second half of August.

Looking for laid back and local, but still with some life in it. Not into scheduled activities, just want to sit around, wander around and enjoy local stuff (no fast food joints, thanks.), drink, eat, and enjoy each other. We're social people so we love friendly local bartenders etc. Husband loves Brisas Del Mar based on a great trip report he read.

QUESTIONS:
1. A bit skeptical about staying on Madera beach due to complaints of filthy beach and water.
2. Any reason not to feel safe walking around at night? (other than common sense?)
3. Do we choose the nicer La Ropa beach or the shorter walk to town?
4. Looking to spend $100.00/nt (+/-), Condo, hotel, motel?
5. Do cabs run all night? Are they easy to get?
6. Is the weather going to be a bummer in August?
7. I've heard no mention of bugs. Are mosquitos an issue?

If you can give us your two cents on any or all we sure would appreciate it! We are also still open to other locations. Zihua just seemed to fit the bill.
Thanks!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Hola! My best replies
1.I love Madera hanging almost daily at MJ & Richie's the best beach café in all of Mexico. Now the sand is not as white as La Ropa but it is much more peaceful & real than La Ropa. No Para sails to fall on you or ski-doos to run over you. Beach is cleaned daily.
2.If you use common sense like not getting loaded, flashing money, be impolite or going to places North of Jose Morelos behind the Elecktra store you should have no problems.
3. I stay mostly in a local middle class area half way between the beach & El Centro. On the beach I'd stay at Brisas Del Mar on Madera or Villa Mexican on La Ropa. For real luxury check out Villa del Sol on La Ropa.
4.In August Las Brisas, Mexican, Sun & Moon, Irma or off the beach Hotel Solimar are good choices in your price range.
5.Yes cabs run all night but after midnight the price doubles. Some prices: El Centro to La Ropa 30 pesos. El Centro to Ixtapa 50 (60 from La Ropa). El Centro to the Commercial Mexicana 30 pesos. But check out the buses. 41/2 pesos La Ropa to El Centro. Zihua to Ixtapa 6 pesos. Zihua to Petatlan 12 pesos.
6. 90's & 100% humidity. Rains often at night for a hour or two.
7. Not Much. But more in the summer. Some of the "outer" beach, such as Troncones, Playas Larga & Blanca have "No seeums" in the evening. Bring spray.
PS All golf courses are in Ixtapa 10 minutes away.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Great info! Thank you Stewbear for taking the time!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i know there is an active Zihuat forum somewhere. anyone have that website to pass on? or maybe Google for it.

i haven't noticed too many other posters besides Stewbear here on Fodor's posting with info on that town.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Suze It's www.zihuatanejo.net for the best info/chat about Zihua/Ixtapa.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I appreciate the link! Happy travels!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
The only problem w/the zihua website is that the moderator -- while a very nice guy -- is a bit "overprotective" of Zihua, and so even the tiniest criticism is squelched. Consequently, not all of the information you get is as straightforward as it could be. Just my experience!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM

Lucie You seem a bit confused as all opinions/information gets posted on that web site. Now the other web site often deletes opposite or negative opinion. As a example a disturbance at a fair in a small village (Petatlan) outside of Zihua was discussed throughly on Robs Web site while the other site which is owned by a high end restaurant owner in Zihua & basically dominated by a very pushy, greedy (IMO)travel agent insisted that there is no reason for any tourist to go to that village as there is nothing of interest there. IN fact just the week before they were encouraging people to go there (Petatlan) with it's unique church & one of the few gold manufacturing places in all of Mexico. That is but one example but there are literally hundreds of posts that have been deleted from that board for disagreeing with the owner or his "chosen" travel agent. Rob's site www.zihuatanejo.net lays it all out. The good, The bad & the indifferent!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Hmmmm. Maybe so, Stewbear, but that was not my experience when I used Rob's site several years ago. At least insofar as his commentary regarding the lodging. Also, I remember some people were concerned about the ocean water's safety, I can't remember exactly, and Rob got pretty defensive, almost condescending. I got the impression that he identifies with his adopted home pretty strongly, so much so that any hint of criticism he took personally -- certainly understandable, just not what I look for in a moderator!

Look, at the same time, I appreciated his passion for the place, his sensitivity to the culture, his values, etc.; he is clearly a good person, not a used-car salesman (like the other one you describe -- I think I know to whom you are referring!). As I said, I found Rob to be a very nice guy. Perhaps my experience with/impression of the site was unique, and by now outdated, but I am not mistaken about my experience.
>-
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Actuality I understand what you are saying as Rob definitely has opinions. The last couple of years however he has railed against pollutants in the area & posts the Regular water testing reports on his site. In addition his is the only one that reports crime news. I have posted on his board since it's start & I frankly have had a number of real Donny-brooks with Rob. He has never cut me off or made me feel unwelcome. I know a few places he does not approve of such as Intra West as they destroyed his favorite view & The Brisas Del Mar because they once kept deer in a pen. That being said he allows any who wish to post recommendations of either, I myself often recommended the Las Brisa to Newbies with out a problem. Why not stop by again for a most lively board & discussions?
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Thanks, Stewbear...if and when I get the chance to go to Zihua again, I'll stop by. Right now, I'm afraid I'd just be putting myself in for a major bout of "Why Can't I Afford Another Trip Right Now??"! But thanks for the kind words.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:32 PM
sneaker59

A real nice hotel on La Ropa is the Sotavento. It's at the very north end of La Ropa so you get the best of the town. and the beach.
Here's the web site.
Roger.

http://www.beachresortsotavento.com/