Help! Please critique itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am scheduled for a trip to CR in late January and was hoping all you fodorites could help me out (again!). I have received great advice from this forum in the past, so thought I would post a request for help on this trip. My wife and I are 40-ish, good shape, adventurous, and like to hike. I would like to see some of the great wildlife of CR on this trip.

Current Plan:

Sat: Arrive Liberia at 2:15 pm, drive to Playa Flamingo Resort. Dinner at Marie's.
Sun: Beach / Hang out day / Snorkel (any good places recommended?)
Mon: Shopping Day - Tamarindo, Santa Cruz, Guaitil (want to pick up some authentic clay figures)
Tues: Park National Palo Verde (does this take all day? Can we drive a rental car here?)
Wed: Drive to Arenal / Tabacon resort / Possible Hike (any suggestions) / hang out at hot springs
Thurs: Monte Verde or Santa Elena (which one?) Sky trek ziplines (does it take all day?)
Fri: Cano Negro trip (Is this a good time of year for this trip, heard it dries out and not as much wildlife in the winter / dry season).
Sat: Drive back to LIberia for flight home at 3:20 PM

There is so much to do, it is hard to pick out the best events, so hoping for some good feedback on things we shouldn't miss.

One other key questions we have: Rent a car or hire a driver / do tours?? We generally like to rent a car and have the freedom to do our own thing / run out to find a restaurant / not eat in at hotel type of thing. But we have heard that it dangerous to drive in CR, and that thieves target rental cars, that you need to find secure parking areas, etc I have been quoted $455 for a 4WD and $235 for a regular car from Tricolor rentals. Was thinking the $235 option might be a good deal and provide some freedom. But don't know if I need the 4WD. Also, will it save us $$$ over buying canned tours by driving ourselves to sights?

Thanks so much in advance for the help and guidance.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM

flamingo is good for sportfishing:

http://costa-rica.typepad.com/playa_...urs/index.html

the best place to visit Cano Negro Reserve is from La Fortuna:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/la_for...ome/index.html

Santa Elena is the town in the area of Monteverde. There is also a Santa Elena Reserve in Monteverde that is generally less crowded then the Monteverde Reserve:

http://monteverde.typepad.com/montev...ome/index.html
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM

FYI - Monteverde is 3-4 hours from Arenal area. You might want to get to Arenal Wed, Thursday do the Cano Negro tour, then Friday morning go to Monteverde. Although its a long trip to spend a 1/2 day there. You could do a canopy tour from Arenal instead.

I really like Monteverde - but I think you might want another night there b/c its a long trip there. If you do go - look into the jeep/boat/jeep way of going there.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Skip Monteverde--too short for a day trip. There is a lot to do at Arenal, so maybe it would be best to focus on that.

Cano Negro should be good because of the migratory birds there now.

Tricolor is a very good company. You will, I think, be happy with them. I'd go ahead and spring for the 4X4. The roads you will be on will be okay and you can get by with the sedan. However, the 4X4 will give you some extra clearance (and a better vantage point) in a few places and I think you will be glad to have it.

3 nights is perfect for Arenal. You can do SkyTrek, hike the volcano, visit the La Fortuna falls, the Venado Caves, do Cano Negro, spend time at the hot springs, do the Hanging Bridges. You'll have more to do than you'll have time for as it is!

Enjoy every minute!

By the way, snorkeling is never very good on the Pacific side of Costa Rica. There might be a few places here and there, but it for sure won't be world class snorkeling like you'd find at Cozumel or Belize. You might enjoy visiting some nearby beaches like Potrero or Playa Penca, but you could also have a great day just lazing around at Flamingo Beach Resort and spending time on the beach. It is an absolutely gorgeous beach. One of the frequent posters on this site has mentioned that it has become polluted from something recently. I don't know anything about that and have been unable to find out what exactly the cause of the problem (if there is one) might be. You could also enjoy yourself driving to Brasilito (an authentic little beach town that will disappear as we know it as soon as the Hyatt takes over). There are a few very good restaurants there. Try Camaron Dorado right on the curve (on your right) as you first come into town from Flamingo. It is excellent dining right on the beach.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

thanks all for the feedback. It doesn't look all that far from Arenal to Monteverde. 3-4 hours?? Also, anyone done the Park NOational Palo Verde? Any good??
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 03:54 AM

Everything looks close in CR on a map, lol. Monteverde would be a miserable day trip, if you take the taxi/boat/taxi you'd have approx. one hour there before you had to turn around and come back.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 06:41 AM

Haven't done the Palo Verde trip, but have spoken with many people who have--all enjoyed it. There's not much about CR that you won't enjoy!--makes it a very easy destination!

Agree with Tully that Monteverde doesn't make for a good day trip--from anywhere.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 08:58 AM

It's close on the map, but you have to look at the roads. Keep in mind that the roads are in a condition that you have never seen before. Riddled with potholes that could break your cars axle in half. You have to drive 15 miles an hour. There fore 60 miles can take you 4 hours.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Am I the only one who didn't think the road to Monteverde was THAT bad?!
Conditioned to the cow pastures of Oklahoma and Texas, I guess! Actually, travel to Monteverde is a piece of cake compared to the road from Dominical to Quepos or down the eastern coast of the Nicoya Peninsula--OR even driving to Montezuma from Cobano just a few months ago--que horible!

Still, there just isn't any purpose in going to Monteverde for a few hours. Two nights wasn't enough. 3 nights highly recommended--gives you 2 full days.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:57 PM

You're right shillmac - the road isn't THAT bad compared to others in CR. I those Montezuma/Mal Pais roads are terrible. But the worst road I was on had to be the coast road from Tamarindo to Nosara. We forded about 3 rivers. It was fun.

The road down the mountain to Savegre Lodge at night was no treat either.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM

LOL--yep, know those roads! Well, not the coast road from Tam to Nosara--would LIKE to do that one. Part of the fun, isn't it? Always gives me that "romancing the stone" feeling.

One day (during the dry season of course) we want to travel all the way down to Malpais from Samara. I'm just wondering how long it will be before that entire coastline is developed.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 08:41 AM

LOL....... driving the road down to Savegre in the dark WOULD most definitely be an adventure!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Prospero Ano Nuevo, Jerry. . .I'd brave that road in the dark--just to get there right about now!

My favorite Christmas present, a set of elasticized shoulder staps for my binoculars--I'm ready to go!
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 11:31 AM

As you may know Guatil is a small town where almost everybody is a potter who works and sells from their home. As you drive into the town you will see a large "cooperative" across a corner of the square. The people who run the so-called "cooperative" pay good commissions to tour guides to take their clients there and they are running the independents out of business. Please shop at the homes. The people are very nice. One daughter even threw a pot as a demonstration for us.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback. I am still going to see if I can figure out a way to visit Monteverde on this trip even though it may be just a day trip. Also, I am planning to spring for the 4WD. Sounds like I'll need it.