Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

help me plan my HONEYMOON in southern baja!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to plan my November honeymoon...I'm really excited to visit baja for the first time. We're interested in fishing, shopping, outdoor sports and staying in nice romantic hotels. So far we have been thinking about Loreto, Cabo San Lucas and La Paz. We are open to your suggestions. We are able to spend up to $200 a night for hotels. We are also interested in romantic places that cost less. I've been reading my Fodor's guide and would love some more ideas.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Hola Surferchick74. I hope you get some responses here!

I posted a question in the Costa Rica section called "Have you visited both Costa Rica and Mexico? Questions..." Suzie2 answered. You might find her reply interesting.

You're going to have a great honeymoon!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Melissa, both posts show up on the general "Latin America" board, they are not specific to Costa Rica or otherwise.

Surferchick, I can answer a bit about La Paz. While I'm not crazy about the Baja, that is because it is a DESERT (I'm guessing you already know that?) and I prefer more lush surroundings.

I loved La Paz (but have no desire to ever go to Cabo because of the expense, tourist-only situation, heavy timeshare hype, etc.). Whereas La Paz is still a genuine Mexican town with a bit of tourist on the side.

One of my favorite hotels ever is there. Hang on let me check for the website. It is called Club El Moro and is a very low-key beautiful property to the south end of town. I could have stayed for months. I definitely recommend renting a car (lots of VW convertible bugs available) since the best beaches are a ways either north or south out of town.

La Paz sits on the Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula with tons of great ocean activities available.

I know this is a high personal opinion but while Cabo strikes me as a nightmare, La Paz was a real dream.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Check it out(!)

www.clubelmoro.com
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 11:31 AM

topping this message with...

feliz luna de miel

(happy moon of honey!)
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi (Aunt) Mellisa5...THANK YOU for trying to get more sent replies my way. I've been thinking it over and maybe Costa Rica is the better option...... Which is better COSTA RICA or SOUTHERN BAJA? I want romance, nice beaches, shopping, fishing, adventure. Is Costa Rica the new place for my honeymoon?
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the words of advice...SUZE. Now that I'm thinking about BAJA and COSTA RICA, I might say Costa Rica is the better option because like you mentioned "lush surroundings".

Would you agree? Do you have any romantic hotel recommendations for COSTA RICA?
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Surferchick74, I think Costa Rica would be great for your honeymoon. What do you think, SUZE?

We didn't fish in costa rica so you would need to get more info on that. Great people on-line to ask!

But I can help you with other suggestions for Costa Rica if you decide on that destination.

I have a guidebook, The New Key To Costa Rica, which says you can find out everything you want to know about fishing from Costa Rica Outdoors (800-308-3393) www.costaricaoutdoors.com e-mail: [email protected]

One problem with web-sites and phone numbers is sometimes as soon as they are in print, they change! Let me know if this info is still up to date.

Surferchick74 (my amazing niece), you can put a question in the Costa Rica section about a romantic, fishing honeymoon in Costa Rica to get more info!

Someone suggested fishing out of Quepos and staying in a romantic hotel in nearby Manuel Antonio. Definitely if you are fishing in Quepos, stay in Manuel Antonio because it's a beautiful area nearby with romantic hotels. I'll give you the web site for the hotel we stayed at in manuel Antonio. It's expensive...the lowest price room is probably around $170 a night. Hotel Si Como No, Manuel Antonio. www.sicomono.com

There are other romantic hotels which might be less money. Also I have info on a good-priced package which includes a stay at Hotel Costa Verde in Manuel Antonio. www.costaverde.com The package is $1869 for 2 people, double occupancy, for 10 days, until November 17, 2005. After that the price is $2169 for 2 people. For more info go to www.costaricapackage.com or else get the brochure from your Aunt Melissa5 !

Personally I don't buy packages as I like to plan everything myself, I am a planning addict! But you can look at the package and see what you think.

You could do 4 nights in Quepos/Manuel Antonio, and 4 nights up at Arenal, where there's a volcano, rainforest, and a lake nearby that has great wind-surfing in certain months, I have to find out for you when is the windy season for the wind-surfing. I'll look it up.

I'd better shut up now before I blab all day! Just look at my trip report and you'll see how long I can go on and on! It's callaed: "We're Alive! Costa Rica Trip Report: June 2005: Monkeys, Insects, and rain (Manuel Antonio, Arenal, Monteverde, San Pablo) Ask me anything!" is the title...and I'm not finished yet!

Okay, here you go, Surferchick. Straight from Fodors guidebook 2005, "Romantic Hideaways" in various parts of costa Rica: (these will probably be high-end maybe pricey, but you can have a look:

$$ Cabinas El Sano Banano, Montezuma www.elbanano.com

$$$ Colores del Pacifico, Playa Flamingo
www.coloresdelpacifico.com

$$$$ Makanda By the Sea, Manuel Antonio

$$$$ La Paloma, Drake Bay

$$$-$$$$ Villa Caletas, Punta Leona

$$$-$$$$ Xandari, Alajuela

Places which aren't on that list but which I think are still romantic:

$$$ Hotel Si Como No, Manuel Antonio

Lost Iguana Resort, Arenal:
www.lostiguanaresort.com

(We stayed here at the Lost Iguana; not in the guidebooks yet as it's newer; Luxury suite is a very romantic room for about $160 per night. See description in my trip report.) www.lostiguanaresort.com

I know about a hotel which is on the beach in Manuel Antonio and is less expensive, about $70 to $110 per night. I don't know if it's romantic or not; look at the web-site and ask on-line. Here it is:

Karahe, Manuel Antonio
www.karahe.com

The best beaches in the Manuel Antonio area are within the manuel Antonio park reserve. You can also see monkeys, pre-historic-looking reptiles, and the lazy sloth in the manuel Antonio Park reserve, as the jungle grows down to the beach. The jungle here is not as dense as the ones you will see in Arenal and Monteverde, however. It is more affected by man. But it's still a jungle with monkeys! Cool!

I think Melissa5 has blabbed long enough here!

Happy honeymoon planning! I also have a pile of guidebooks, Surferchick 74, and maps for costa Rica.

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Surferchick74, one more thing! Just looked up Lake Arenal in Costa Rica for you. November thru April is the wind-surfing season on the lake, with 25 mph winds. You can rent everything you need at the lake.

Also I just read that the same lake has different sections where you can still fish year-round. check the web-site I mentioned above, www.costaricaoutdoors.com

We stayed in Arenal so I can tell you more things to do in the area. But we didn't stay on the lake, we stayed near the Hanging Bridges, Arenal, about a 25-minute drive from the town of La Fortuna. In Arenal we did the Sky Tram/sky Trek zip-line for about $45 each.

A fisherman has given you another good reply on the other question, "Have You Visited Both Costa Rica and Mexico? Questions" He has fished in both Costa Rica and Mexico.

Have a fun time researching! Decide first where you want to go, based on the activities and environment, and then we can help you with the hotels.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:10 PM

No sorry, I'm no help with Costa Rica since I've never visited or been interested. La Paz was the single time I went somewhere different in Mexico from my beloved Puerto Vallarta (which I return to year after year).