HELP...Getting around Costa rica

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP...Getting around Costa rica

CR 1st timers, we need some help. We are a fimaily of 4 (2 boys 11 &13) We already bought our tickets into Liberia for June 07. We arrive at 6:20 am into Liberia.The plan is to head directly to Manuel Antonio (2 nights) then to Tamarindo (2 nights) then Arenal area (2 nights) and last night stay somewhere in/near Liberia airport for an 8am flight home. Driver suggestions from point to point. My husbands Idea was to just go to 4 Seasons and never leave....My idea see some of this beautiful country! and have some fun. Is this too ambitious??? ANY and all advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:22 PM

With your limited time I suggest MA and Arenal. You'll have more time to enjoy what each area has to offer and give hubby more time to relax instead of being on the road so much between places.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks earthtraveler, Any recommendations on drivers to each area? Any "must do" activities for the two boys? All suggestions are welcome.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:44 AM

In La Fortuna, visit the waterfall, hot springs and take a day trip to Cano Negro Reserve:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/la_for...ome/index.html

In Manuel Antonio visit the National Park, the nicest beaches there are Playa Espadilla Sur and Playa Manuel Antonio:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/manuel...ome/index.html
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:50 AM

You can do it - but it might be too much driving. Plus the timing is a little off. If you go to Tamarindo - stay there last as it's closer to Liberia airport. I would go to Arenal for a few nights and then a beach area - Tamarindo or maybe 2 nights near Tamarindo then two nights at another beach area - just to see something different.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:52 AM

Ofcourse visit M A Nat Pk and start very early to beat the crowds and see the most animals. Wouldn't hurt to be in line at opening time. The Park is closed Mondays.
Biesanz Beach is another public beach in a beautiful cove for a lazy afternoon away from the crowds. Horses, rafting, boating are all available in MA area.

This "old boy" had fun hiking down to the bottom of the Catarata La Fortuna( waterfall) and swiming in the mellow pools. Horse ride tours go there but we drove ourselves. I would think your boys would like the adventure.

Arenal Hanging Bridges walk, Skytram and zipline, Cano Negro boating for wildlife, waterfall repelling, white water rafting, volcano hike, and Tabacon Hotsprings are some of the possibilities around Arenal.

Leo Rodriguez [email protected]

Orlando Vargas [email protected]
011-506-289-7846

Swiss travel [email protected]

Danny Travels [email protected]

Wady Tours/Zuma Tours [email protected]

These are some drivers/companies I have filed from posts on this board.

Orlando Vargas sounds especially fine if you want more than just a driver.

Have a wonderful journey!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM

My 8yo son and I went to Costa Rica Feb 2005 and had an absolutely wonderful time....beware, this was a pseudo-shoestring tour, and my comments are based on that. Our travels included staying in Punta Leona (Pacific) and then taking a public bus north to Punta Arenas, and then furhter NE on a pot-hole filled dirt road to MonteVerde. We spent our short three days in Monteverde taking as many tours of the rain forests cloud forests as we could. This area did not seem so overrun by tourists, likely because of the trek to get there. I would highly recommend this area above Arenal. I stayed in a wonderful cabin in a cluster called (I believe) Los Pinos. I feasted on organiz foods at a restaurant right up the road. Shoudl you opt to take a bus here, taxis are readily available, and can take you to any guided tour.

Should you be interested in hearing more, please let me know.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM

I'd skip Tamarindo also. For visiting Arenal and Manuel Antonio (both 3 hours from the international airport in SJO), flying into SJO would have been helpful. Just for future reference. . .

Flying into Liberia puts you almost 4 hours from Arenal and the same to Manuel Antonio. 6 hours between Arenal and MA (through Atenas/Orotina). I always estimate this drive a little long because we stop for lunch, bathroom perhaps, Rio Tarcoles to see the crocs, etc.

Problem with staying at Tamarindo before you leave is that you need to be in Liberia at 6:00 for an 8:00 a.m. flight (and perhaps even a little earlier). You'd have to leave Tamarindo by 4:30 or 5:00 a.m.

Flying into Liberia is very well suited to staying at the north Pacific beaches. It might be appealing to you to spend your time at one of those (Tamarindo, Playa Grande, Playa Flamingo, Playa Potrero, Playa Pan de Azucar--Sugar Beach, Playa Ocotal, etc.

Also in that area just directly north of Liberia is the Rincon de la Vieja National Park--very nice area with a lot of activities you could enjoy. If I were you I'd be tempted to go to Arenal for 3 nights (better than 2, so much to do there), then back to one of the northern beaches close to Liberia for 4 nights (with a day trip to Rincon).

We were in Costa Rica 5 times before we got to Manuel Antonio and thoroughly enjoyed everywhere we went--never felt that we had missed out. Same with Monteverde, which we finally visited after about 9 visits to CR. It's all good!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Loves the idea of stoping to see the Crocs!!! The hotels we are CONSIDERING are: MA - Si Como No
Tamarindo - Capitan Suizo
Arenal - Tabacon resort
Liberia -?? night before flight.
Any comments for these accomodations would really help. Pros/Cons or alternatives...You all are GREAT!!!!! Gracias!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:31 AM

I think your hotel choices sound great except - just ny opinion - I would skip Tabacon. There are much lower priced options out there most with great views (only a small amount of rooms at Tabacon actually have good views). Some ideas are Arenal Paraiso, Fonda Vela, Lost Iguana, Arenal Springs. I would also put your last stop as Tamarindo as it's much closer to Liberia than the others.