guadalajara hotels-need advice

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:53 PM
steve

guadalajara hotels-need advice

going to guadalajara on vacation after the first of the year. Have been researching the various hotels for the best value. After reading all of the fine print on taxes and gratuties it seems like a good value might be the Crowne Plaza at around $160 per nite. My wife prefers hotels 4/5 stars but yet with some local flavor if possible. We would like to try the quinta real but the price is a little high unless someone knows of some packages they offer. We will be in GDL for 6 nights. Are there in better recommendations in this price range and quality range? thanks. Also, how about the food. any problems with anyone getting sick? Steve

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:53 AM
Earl

Check out the Camino Real website. http://www.caminoreal.com/home.htm
Upscale Mexican hotels that are very nice. Great amenities, staff and superb service.
We have stayed in the CR hotels all over the country, and never been disappointed. Spent two weeks last June in Oaxaca and Huatulco and loved everything about the hotels.
Call their 800 number direct and ask about the "More Mexico for less" package. Usually 3rd or 4th night is free. Request the "Camino Real Club" rate, which includes a great breakfast buffet and evening cocktails.
They will also, often quote rates much lower than you will find on the web. Eme if you would like more info.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 08:06 AM
hotel

I was there a couple of years ago and stayed in an amazing true Guadalajaran hotel. It's called "El Tapatillo". I'm not sure exactly where it's located, or how much it costs (I was there on business), but I can assure you that you will love it. It's a traditional Mexican hotel, and the service was fabulous. The rooms are huge! Good luck! Oh, also, go eat at this restaurant called "La Destileria". It's the home of the tequila and the food is fabulous and affordable.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:06 PM
steve

Thanks for the tip on the Tapatillo. I have heard of it. I will check it out. I think it is in the northern part of the city. somewhere I read that it sits up on a hill. Is transportation into the city a problem from there?

Steve

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 10:07 AM
hotel

Hey Steve,
No, transportation from there is not a problem at all. There are men outside that call a cab for you right away. Transportation from there was the least of my problems. Find out the prices there, and if it's affordable, I truly recomend it. If you're going to be in Guadalajara, the home of the tequila and mariachis, do it the right way, and stay in a truly traditional Mexican hotel. Good luck!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:42 PM
steve

thanks, I finally found an e-mail address for them. Have requested rates but no answer. Their website seems to be down. I found a couple of pictures of the property on the internet. Looks good. I'll keep trying