Good restaurant near Alajuela

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a nice restaurant to meet up with some friends (kids included) the last night. We will be in La Garita, they will be staying in Santa Barbara. Is there someplace close to both (1/2 way'ish)that would be really nice? Xandari has a wedding that weekend and may not be able to accomodate 10 people. Any ideas would be great!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I guess I need to add that it is Alajuela, Costa Rica to get it in the Costa Rica topic.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 05:11 PM

In Heredia, there is a little restaurant called Le Petit Paris, specializing in crepes. It would be about 30 minutes from Alajuela, but a little closer to Santa Barbara. We've always found it an enjoyable place for dinner or lunch. It got a very good review in the Tico Times recently.

There are surely many others closer to Alajuela. Hopefully others will have more recommendations for you!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac! How far do you think Le Petit Paris is from Garita? Since we are going out to dinner, it will be dark when we return from Le Petit Paris. Will this be a problem?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Not if you're careful. We've driven this area in the dark many times. It will take about 30 minutes. You'll be fairly familiar with the area after a day or two. The Hampton Inn sits between Alajuela and Heredia with a road passing in front of it. If you go on that road to the right (facing Hampton Inn), east, you'll come to Heredia in 15 minutes or so. There are several public parking facilities once you get into town within the first few blocks.

I've forgotten the exact directions to Le Petit Paris, but it wouldn't be hard for me to look them up. I memorized a map of the city one night when I took a bus in there alone and walked to the restaurant to meet another lady for dinner and a jazz band. You walk 2-3 blocks past the market, then make a left for 2-3 blocks, then turn right, then left again. It sits in the middle of a block and has a rather nondescript entrance. I simply have to count blocks as I walk.

Are you interested in more specific directions? You could always ask when you get there, but sometimes I find that the locals aren't all that familiar with some of the restaurants that tend to be frequented more by tourists.

One thing you might consider--you could take a taxi into San Jose to any number of very good restaurants in about the same amount of time. Cafe El Mundo is the only one I can recommend because we don't eat out in San Jose often. It was very good. There are several excellent restaurants and others might make suggestions for you if you'll post with another heading. It will cost you about $12 each way, but might very well be worth it to you!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:56 PM

when you say nice do you mean white tablecloths and doting waiters or aren't the kids old enough? there are several restaurants that my wife and I enjoyed in barrio san jose (district of alajuela) during our weeks there last november. how fancy do you want to get? how about seafood with children's portions available? continental overlooking a hotel swimming pool and garden? with a few more details I can give you better suggestions.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac! A taxi is a great idea. We haven't planned to see San Jose at all, might be fun. Le Petit Paris does sound nice. Could we take a taxi there or would it be too far and expensive? Payant, we are probably looking for a nice, but not too fancy restaurant. Good food and atmosphere, a view would be nice, but it will probably be dark anyway. Thank you for all the ideas so far!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:07 PM

Yes, you can taxi to Heredia. It isn't a bad idea at all--if you don't mind trading a few bucks to escape driving yourselves! Now Le Petit Paris is not fancy--it's very casual, but we thought it was pretty good. I would hate for you to be disappointed!
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Shillmac! I don't know yet if we will try Le Petit Paris - I know my kids would vote for it, or something else. It is just great knowing we can take a taxi. It looks like Alajuela is about 1/2 way between Garita and Santa Barbara. Are there any good restaurants in Alajuela? By good, I mean good food, not too dressy (we will have 6 kids), nice atmosphere.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:48 PM

As much time as we spent in Alajuela this past summer, we didn't check out the restaurant possibilities. We usually ate breakfast and dinner at Orquideas where we were staying. The funny thing is, our daughter was in school, living with a family with whom I also stayed the year before and with whom we have visited several times during the past year. After 6 weeks in the country, she was in the mood for American food and we found ourselves eating at McDonald's in Alajuela and KFC and Pizza Hut in Heredia. We all love Tico food, but she was in the early stages of pregnancy and having all these cravings--so I can tell you where to find those places, God forbid!!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Is Orquideas a good place to eat, with kids?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac, I just heard from my hotel in La Garita. They recommended the same restaurant in Heredia our friends want to go and he said it was only 15-20 minutes. He also said a taxi would be best. He also said that he couldn't recommend any of the restaurants in Alajuela. Thank you for all your help!