Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Going to El Tamarindo in August. Need some help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Fodor advisors! I have had so much help from you! (Peggy/Frankie, I hope your there!)

Here it goes...I planned this trip as a surprize rto my husband for our 10 year wedding aniversary. I don't want him to know how much I paid for the hotel. Is there any way I can pay without his knowing? Do you pay for the meals each time or do you pay the bill in full upon checkout? How does tipping work? I will probably have other questions later so keep looking for me!

Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Hi Marnie!

What a wonderful wife you are! Maybe you could advise the hotel before you get there of this surprise, and that you don't want your husband to see anything !
Also, maybe getting a new credit card in your name only ???
Have a great time! Hope to hear all about it !
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Frankie! Those are great ideas!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Hey Marnie, just saw this posting so now I understand what you're plotting.

You could definitely keep costs from your husband, as long as you give your own credit card on check in, make sure you're signing all the meal checks, and keep the bill away from him at check-out. They only care about the person whose name is on that credit card! Of course, they will always try to hand the check to your husband first, but let them know at the restaurant that YOU want the check and you'll be fine. Bills are all in pesos anyway so he'll have to do lots of math to figure out what the U.S. total is, anyway.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 04:57 PM

I was very pleased with how the personal there seemed to aim to please. I had left my jewelty there on checkout (not much $$ wise since I usually just take silver with me). We had gone on to Grand Bay. I called them, they delivered it; it was inventoried, calatoged & shrunk wrapped for protection! I was pretty impressed so I think they will try to work with your credit card requests! And on the beachfronts, they are not "private" enough to walk around nude, but the others really aren't either but where people may walk in front is still 50 yards away & down a grassy slope. We did not feel exposed & loved the views sitting on our loungers during the day, seeing dolphins jump and running down to go snorkeling or kayaking whenever we felt like it; but it is just a personal chose though. Actually I think #14 a Palm tree villa had the best of both worlds, a bit more secluded but some view of the ocean. Oh you are going to love it whatever you decide!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:56 AM

I meant "personnel".....