Rio - Best Jobim Music Venue ?

Jun 24th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Rio - Best Jobim Music Venue ?

This is probably the main reason to go to Rio. Any advice on where to experience the music of the Legend would be greatly appreciated ? Thank you.
Jun 24th, 2004, 05:07 PM

I have heard some of the best, professional, star quality Bossa Nova at Mistura Fina upstairs if they are having a Bossa Nova band that is, check their website. Also check out Vinicius across the street from Garota de Ipanema, named after Vinicius de Moraias Bossa Nova poet. There is also a place in Copacabana called Modern Sound, during the day they have free live music, you must find it and check it out, serves food, drinks and sells CD's. Also some of the best Bossa Nova I heard was in the lobby bars of the 5 star hotels in Copacabana such as: The Rio Othon Palace, The Sofitel, The Marriott, the Sheraton and even the Debret and Im sure there are others.
Jun 24th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Dondiega. This is the first reason for me to go to Rio. I have been a fan of Brasilian music from my teenage years and have a rather large collection of all bossanova, samba and vocal artists. My daughter has a signed picture autograph of her namesake - Astrud.
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:32 AM
wj1

Thank you SydneySteve for asking a good question and thank you Dondiega for such a helpful answer.

Dondiega, could you give us a bit more info on Mistura Fina? There seem to be so many good restaurnts in Rio I was just wondering whether we should use one of our precious nights to eat at Mistura Fina before a show or eat somewhere else first and then go to Mistura Fina. Is there music every night or just on weekends? Does one need reservations or tickets for the show? If so, how does one get them? Do you know what the usual showtimes are?

Dondiega, I also want to tell you how much I really appreciate your responses. Your responses have been a tremendous help and will surely help us have a better vacation. Thanks again.
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:44 AM

As you already know Mistura Fina has a restaurant down stairs with a nice bar and most nights a little band is playing which is usually top notch and they play all kinds of Brazilian music. Show times upstairs are late and they have 2 shows but you will need to check out their website for the acts that are playing during your timeframe and the times. Also when you get in to town your hotel should be able to help with making arrangements with tickets to the shows. There are many restaurants in Rio and if you have limited nights then you have to choose wisely where you want to eat. Just because you are going to see a show at Mistura Fina doesn't mean you have to eat there, you can eat elsewhere. I have done both and I have gone their for dinner and didn't see a show upstairs even when I was offered free admission, just felt like doing something else that night. The restaurant is a fine restaurant whose clientle seems to be mostly upper class Brazilians but check their menu on their website as you may be looking forward to something else for that evening, Rio has many fine establishments.

Ok, naming your daughter Astrud after Astrud Gilberto tells me you are really going to love Rio, even when you first step into the Tom Jobim airport, wow.
Jun 25th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Dondiega. Lisa Ono's version of Mr Tom says it all ! Thanks for your help.
Jul 16th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Just received my Lisa Ono CD today, sounds great, thanks for the tip.