Search

GIG Rio Airport transfer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GIG Rio Airport transfer

I was wondering if there is a transfer service that I can prepay or arrange to pick us up at GIG Rio airport and transfer us to our hotel in Copacabana, the Golden Tulip Rengente. Or if I do just arrange with a yellow taxi, how do I explain where I want to go, I don't speak Portuguese. Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

I just did some research and cam up with this transfer service. Does anyone know about Galeão Airport Transfer in Rio de Janeiro? I am researching different GIG to Golden Tulip Regente transfers. Wondering if anyone has taken the above mention transfer service.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:49 AM

I have not taken that service. I do usually have a driver pick me up at the airport GIG but it is not necessary.

When you get out of the customs area in GIG there will be right there, can't miss it, several desks for car services, for example Coopertran is one of the names.

You can pay cash right there and they will take you to your hotel. Show them your reservation for the hotel or just tell him, everybody knows where the Regente hotel is in Copacabana.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful info Don, will it be a problem with the language barrier to get a taxi, I only speak Eanglish.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 03:42 AM

It should be no problem, the girls at the desk that will take your reservation will speak a very basic English, so just present them with the name and address of your hotel in Copacabana, it's very easy. I know this hotel, stayed there many times when it was the Luxor Regente. Remember they will pronounce the R like an H so if you see they are not understanding you say Hotel Hegente, this may help even in Rio when you take taxis. But it is better to keep the address on you at all times.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Again Don I thank you for this helpful inquiry, you are a great source of information. This might sound like a stupid question but will the girls at the desk be able to read the hotel and address when it is written in English and not Portuguese?
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Well the address is pretty much the same in English or Portuguese:

Portuguese: Av. Atlantica 3716,Rio De Janeiro, RJ, Brazil 22070

English: 3716 Atlantica Avenue, Rio De Janeiro Brazil 22070.

Either way the taxi driver will know where he is going, the hotel has been there for years.

How long are you staying in Rio?

Staying in the hotel zone you will find people who speak some English especially if they're there to sell you something.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Dondiega, maybe you could help us too, please? We need to catch a flight to Manaus from Rio at 7.20am, from a hotel in Leme.

I'm thinking, we should be able to get a taxi from outside the hotel at about 5.30 am without too much trouble? It will be a Wed. Any idea how much a taxi to GIG should be? Thanks in advance.

We are planning to get an airconditioned bus when we arrive, at a more reasonable time of day.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 07:39 PM

Just using a normal yellow cab, I think it cost us (earlier this year) about R65-70 from the southern zone to GIG.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 07:17 AM

There will be taxis going back and forth in Rio 24 hrs a day, it's just that type of place, at that time of the morning your ride to the airport should be quick as it will be before rush hour, maybe 30 minutes. I usually use a driver in Rio, he has a nice big new car, he lives in Copacabana, Bruno's cell phone number is 8102-5566.

You can see his picture here: http://www.gringomanagement.com/otherservices.html

I have never taken the bus but it is a cheap alternative but will take longer getting to your destination. Keep an eye on your luggage when other passengers exit so they don't take yours by mistake or otherwise.

The Brazil currency is very strong right now so as the other poster said 65-70 reais sounds right about $45, wow Rio is not cheap anymore.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Thanks Dondiega and Susan.
We used public transport to sightsee everywhere in Rio about 10 years ago, and found it quite fun, what with buskers getting on and off, and general interaction with the public.
Bruno's website is good too. Maybe a trip up to Petropolis one day. Thanks again
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:00 PM

hi, right , yes you can get a bus service from the airport to copacabana and Ipanema, it costs around US$5 at most but takes a long time to get there, ie can be an hour or more, when a taxi would take 30 min. It stops a lot, but is of course much cheaper. It goes from the ground floor, just outide the exit, to the right. Who are you flying with ? Depending on that is the terminal you will arrive at. There are taxis in the arrival lounge, DO NOT just take any taxi outside, there are registered taxis as soon as you come out of the area where you go thru customs. Also DO NOT take just any taxi when leaving the hotel at 5:30am , it's DARK then and you will have ALL your bagagge, docs, money etc, don't risk it, either get a driver ( I can also recommend one if you want, totally reliable and trustworthy) or get the hotel to call a reliable cab company for you. The girls at the cab desks in airport can speak a fair amount of english. Enjoy our fantastic city. You can take yellow cabs at aany other time, just pick them up.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:28 PM

Thank you, Gypsyluce.
We actually like mixing it on a public bus whilst on holidays, and the extra time taken is nothing really, just a chance to enjoy it longer and you get a chance to meet people. But yes, we will be careful.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM

While the bus from the airport should probably be ok, it is not always recommended to take the public buses in Rio, you need to be extra careful.

They try to do a snatch and run for the next stop, so hold on to your pocketbook and belongings, you'll never catch them.

http://shuttlerio.com.br/en/

Also as an alternative to the regular bus, take a look at this van servive from the airport, might be better timing than the bus.

Also Rio has regular gypsy type van service all over the city. If you wait at a bus stop many gypsy van services pass by going to destinations, cheap and safe. Lets say you want to go to Barra beach for the day, just stand at a bus stop and you will see the many vans pass by with a sign in the window of their destination, pick it up and tell him where you want to stop, very common mode of transportation.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 05:18 AM

hi, there isnt a normal bus service from airport to hotel zone, except the air conditioned one which goes to barra.
In the city there are buses everywhere , just make sure of the route they follow as there are various and its not always s[ecified. If you are going hang gliding or go to sao conrado beach DO NOT get the bus that says sao conrado, it will take you to edge of area and then up into biggest favela in Rio. Take bus which says barra or alvorada.
If you get a guide for a day or half a day you will get loads of tips and ideas and security tips too, where to go,, where not, what not to miss etc,.When are you coming? Have a great time here
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Don,
The shuttle Rio website that you mention, have you taken it, do you recommend it, I see it has our hotel mentioned as one of the stops but I'm a little confused concerning the airport, is there only one airport GIG?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:24 AM

Can't help with the shuttle but I can help on the number of airports in Rio, there's two, the domestic airport is Santos Dumont (SDU).
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Susan. I went back to the website (rioshuttle) and this is what it said
HOW WE WORK: At every hour there are cars leaving simultaneously from Tom Jobim Airport, Zona Sul and Barra da Tijuca. The cars will only stop at the hotels where there are reservations.

So Tom Jobim airport, which is that one?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 03:00 PM

That's GIG, it has rather an unwieldy name:
Rio de Janeiro Galeao Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

WOW! That's quite a name for an airport!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -